News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Thinking about localizing a pun or leaving it alone  (Read 4485 times)

Cargodin

• View Profile
    • Doushiuh☆oh翻訳
Re: Thinking about localizing a pun or leaving it alone
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2016, 01:32:48 am »
I think in this scenario it looks fine as the given name, きもひめ (remember the ひめ part can be translated as a proper name and still pass, like Momohime or Torahime. Her status can be explained in passing or, as with some games, is simply unimportant and enough people playing the translation will already get that, tbh. That said, the novels for Tengai Makyou Ziria actually did translate the names of the characters into English (i.e. Princess Virgin Snow), and those games are very similar in time/setting.  How you choose to do it in the end is really up to you. Both have their advantages/disadvantages and in both people who play translated JRPGs may already have enough recognition for why this is to not really mind.

In my opinion, I think the safest thing to do (especially in a retro game where you might not have infinite space for character names to be used over and over again) is to simply throw in an extra sentence or throw in three words that simply explain the pun when revealed. If that doesn't happen, throwing in an extra Translator's Notes document along with the translation might be best.

BlackDog61

• View Profile
    • Super Robot Wars A Portable translation thread
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2016, 01:54:42 am »
I think in this scenario it looks fine as the given name, きもひめ (remember the ひめ part can be translated as a proper name and still pass, like Momohime or Torahime. Her status can be explained in passing or, as with some games, is simply unimportant and enough people playing the translation will already get that, tbh. That said, the novels for Tengai Makyou Ziria actually did translate the names of the characters into English (i.e. Princess Virgin Snow), and those games are very similar in time/setting.  How you choose to do it in the end is really up to you. Both have their advantages/disadvantages and in both people who play translated JRPGs may already have enough recognition for why this is to not really mind.

In my opinion, I think the safest thing to do (especially in a retro game where you might not have infinite space for character names to be used over and over again) is to simply throw in an extra sentence or throw in three words that simply explain the pun when revealed. If that doesn't happen, throwing in an extra Translator's Notes document along with the translation might be best.
So you're saying - call her "Kimo"?

Cargodin

• View Profile
    • Doushiuh☆oh翻訳
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2016, 03:03:18 am »
So you're saying - call her "Kimo"?

Sorry, I guess I did get a little tl;dr there. If the worldsetting in the game makes sense for it, I say just call her Kimohime. I'm not sure what game it's supposed to be though. (Sorry if it was already in the thread and it went over my head?)