News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Making a list of compressed games?  (Read 1626 times)

mevoid

• View Profile
Making a list of compressed games?
« on: April 22, 2016, 02:46:58 pm »
I'm not sure if this is already a thing, but i think it will be a good idea to create a document which lists all the games which are compressed on the NES, so people who don't know how to decompress can benefit by not wasting time on starting projects on compressed games. So how about we start naming compressed games for the NES and create a document? And if it goes well, we can make a list on other consoles.
~mevoid

FAST6191

• View Profile
Re: Making a list of compressed games?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2016, 04:08:21 pm »
So as to immediately branch it are you going to make a distinction of what is compressed? If the text is plain the graphics are not then someone making a translation might well be able to do things happily.

Equally is not the run for the hills level problem it once kind of might have been to some people. Plenty of methods are known and reasonably workable these days so this list could include some "feed this command to the decompression tool and this to the compression tool".

I like the idea of whole ROM set analysis and info, hard drive free space tending to be the limiting factor preventing me from doing it, but I am not sure what you propose in the form you suggest would be so terribly helpful. By all means start it though and I would not want to discourage that.

mevoid

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2016, 04:26:19 pm »
Yup you are right. That is why i thought i would make it in HTML and categorize them (e.g graphics compressed or text compressed) and the the user will be able to search for the game. And with some simple javascript, it would tell the user under which categories it falls under.

Rotwang

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2016, 11:49:03 pm »
I dunno... can you throw in a PC 98 emulator to sweeten the deal?

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2016, 02:19:38 am »
FAST's idea sounds better. To document known compression schemes on games.

But having a list of NES games which are compressed to
not wasting time on starting projects on compressed games
to check if the graphics are compressed is like a couple minutes spent opening the prospect game in a tile editor.
If you know how to build tables easily, then finding if an NES game uses compressed text is like 10 minutes. (most often the table can be found by looking at the PPU Viewer in FCEUX, to find the tile numbers for characters in a test string. If that fails, fall back to the Relative Search method people used before.)

That's like 15 minutes spent researching potential games.
And rarely is NES text compressed because simple to decode things like dictionary.

To document simply compression or not seems like a lot of effort. And I'm concerned this sort of post (not to point at anyone in particular, I've seen several of them lately) is from people who may not be ready for the kind of patience needed to succeed in ROM hacking.
But maybe I'm just a cranky old guy in the scene.
When you make ROM hacks, it's practically guaranteed you're going to make mistakes that will leave you banging your head against the wall for hours, maybe days fixing them.
Not to mentioned deleting or losing files at some point or another that will force you to do stuff over again. I'm sure many of the best have done that once or more.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018