News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Gameboy sprite in Mega Man 2  (Read 3702 times)

Zynk

• WIP Roll-chan: The Wily Wars
    • View Profile
Gameboy sprite in Mega Man 2
« on: April 23, 2016, 02:31:18 am »
Does anyone know where are the offsets of sprite's coordinates in a Gameboy ROM?

I want to particularly fix this sprite of Megaman in Megaman 2 on the Gameboy.

As anyone can see in the pic above, the arm cannon is not attached to his arm by 1px.

mevoid

• View Profile
Re: Gameboy sprite in Mega Man 2
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2016, 07:45:56 am »
Literally took me 3 secs to find megaman's tiles in Tile Layer Pro. If you open it in Tile Layer Pro and go to Edit -> Goto -> 2C000 (The offset) The tiles should be in the top row.

Zynk

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2016, 08:10:54 am »
That's not what I meant, I mean how to move the tile so that the arm cannon doesn't look detached.
Anyways, nvm, I found out that there's an extra tile that suppose to "connect" those parts.

This game is evidently rushed in development. Spot Megaman's sliding sprite from MM2 & MM3

Zynk

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2016, 09:27:06 am »
Shit! It seems that that "connecting" tile is part of the sliding sprite as well  :banghead: Damn game was really, really rushed  :banghead:

schtolteheim

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2016, 05:11:29 pm »
Isn't there also a pixel missing on the shoulder (first two samples with extended arm cannon.) Looks like a gap, but the image is blurry.

Zynk

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2016, 10:00:58 pm »
Isn't there also a pixel missing on the shoulder (first two samples with extended arm cannon.) Looks like a gap, but the image is blurry.

As a matter of fact, there are many of them on MM2:

The small step idle pose has the tiles but weren't used. I'll try if I could nudge the pieces together. (that sliding pose tho)

Satoshi_Matrix

• Retro & Contemporary Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Retro & Contemporary Gaming Archives
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2016, 01:57:21 pm »
Maybe Rockman World 2 (Megaman II GB) was rushed, but I think it's more likely the result of inexperience. The five GameBoy Megaman games were not actually developed by Capcom. 1, 3, 4 and 5 were developed by Minakuchi Engineering. For whatever reason, they were not contracted to do Rockman World 2, which fell to Biox instead.

Biox has never worked on a Rockman game before, or even games like it. Their prior work had largely involved puzzle games, and their talents were more evident on the GameGear. I feel most of Rockman World 2's problems stem from inexperience. The reason the other World games are better is because the Minakuchi Engineering handled each of them and gained experience with each game, making 3 better than 1, 4 better than 3, and arguably 5 better than 4 (although I'll have a soft spot for Megaman IV GB as that was my very first Megaman game I owned).

Midna

• Resident Panel de Pon Nut
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2016, 08:30:14 pm »
If you're planning on finishing this, do you think you could make it so that the final boss is an actually intimidating gigantic robot or ship like in just about every other games of the series, and not some pathetic ten-foot-tall thing piloted by an inexplicably shrunken Dr. Wily? That always bugged me.