News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Ocarina of Time Redux?  (Read 14028 times)

niuus

• View Profile
Re: Ocarina of Time Redux?
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2020, 01:02:33 am »
Good day, Romhacking community.

I'm nearing the release of two projects I've been working recently, so I've been wanting to dive into other games that I feel need an improvement treatment. One of which is Ocarina of Time on the Nintendo 64.

So what is it that I want to change about this game?
Well particularly, OoT on the N64 has many nuisances that take away from it. Text speed, censorship in recent releases, pausing for equipping boots, etc., but given how I have never touched anything N64 before, I know I'm in for some trouble.

However, OoT is one of the most hacked games of all time, and the Randomizer community is one which has managed to do heavy hacking to it, and I recently stumbled upon the latest version of the Ocarina of Time Randomizer v4.0, which does a lot of ASM hacking to accomplish one goal, which is to provide a randomized experience, for both casual and expert/speedrun gamers alike.

Going through the many notes and files the Randomizer has, I noticed that it applies a lot of hacks that I wanted to do for Ocarina of Time.
Some examples include using the v1.0 ROM as the base; which on its own restores almost all uncensored content to the game by default (red blood, Fire Temple chants, Crescent Moon symbol), fast text speed, Bunny Hood speeds up Young Link as in Majora's Mask, Hover and Iron boots mapped to the D-Pad, Ocarina mapped to D-Pad as well, etc.

So I thought, why not modify the source code to simply remove the Randomizing code of it and have all those perks available for people that want a polished Ocarina of Time experience?

This is where I have trouble with sadly, as Python and MIPS assembly are way out of my scope.
So with that, I wanted to come here and ask for help if someone knows Python well enough to help make this a reality.

Here's the link to the latest version of the Ocarina of Time Randomizer v4.0:
https://github.com/TestRunnerSRL/OoT-Randomizer

What do I want to change from the randomizer to make OoT Redux?
  • Remove all random/randomizing aspects of the code
  • Restore all of the Story cutscenes, since the Randomizer removes almost all of them for speedrun sake
  • Restore any other cutscene, for as minimal it might be. The main goal here is to have the full OoT experience, with nothing dropped in terms of storytelling, side quests, etc.
  • Move the Ocarina to D-Pad Up (instead of Down as it is right now in the Randomizer) to better resemble the button mapping of Wind Waker HD
  • Something else I might have overlooked... ?

I have fiddled with it for a while, and I managed to restore some of the cutscenes back into the game, by commenting out some code in the "patches.py" file, which apparently do some sort of flag check in the SRAM (or something of the like). However, not all cutscenes were restored, as I believe some of the cutscene removal is handled ASM-side, inside the /asm/ folder.

If anyone is willing to help out with this, do take into consideration that I would NOT take credit at all from the work being done.
Most credit would go to the Rando devs, and to whoever jumps in to help shift the code around to make this hack I have in mind a reality.

Thanks in advance to all of those that read this, and to whoever might be willing to help out!
Interesting. Due to the nature of your great Redux projects, i downloaded the recent REDUX patches for OoT and MM thinking they were yours ShadowOne333!

http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/5138/
http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/5122/

Now i am finding this thread and thinking it was a place for discussion of both patches.  :o

I have to say I respectfully disagree. The chants add a foreboding ambience and atmosphere to the dungeon not matched by its generic replacement audio.
I totally and completely agree with you. We live now in a world that is overly worried of political correction and sensitivity. The ROMhacking community already lost a great translator because of this unnecesary drama (Ganbare Goemon 3: ShishijyÅ«rokubei no Karakuri Manji Katame).  :banghead:

ExxorD

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2020, 07:49:30 am »
Hey. I'm not much more than a user on the site here, but I've been trying to apply this patch to a unmodified Ocarina of Time US 1.0 rom, and the IPS patcher I'm using, Lunar IPS, is constantly telling me that the patch is not patching to the intended rom. Is there a reason as to why that is? I tried for over an hour yesterday trying to find the right rom to use it with, and came up empty-handed. :(

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2020, 11:26:55 am »
Weird that this thread got bumped with the release of both Redux hacks lol

Anyway, the Gerudo stuff and Fire Temple chants were not done for the hack.
They're carry-overs from using v1.0 of OoT as the base, since Randomizer uses v1.0 for it.
Porting everything to other versions besides v1.0 is not in our hands, it's all Randomizer's, and I doubt they would go out of their way just to add support for other ROM versions, since that would mean rewriting ALL the currently made code for each different version.

So yeah, there's not much that can be done there, and using v1.1 or v1.2 as base is not possible since all the Rando code is made with v1.0.

Interesting. Due to the nature of your great Redux projects, i downloaded the recent REDUX patches for OoT and MM thinking they were yours ShadowOne333!

Now i am finding this thread and thinking it was a place for discussion of both patches.  :o

Haha they can counted as part of the Redux projects for sure, but I had no involvement in Majora's Mask Redux, just in OoT were I did a lot of playtesting and debugging, and also did some text bugfixes.
The creator actually told me if it was okay to line up both releases to be called Redux, and they both got my golden seal of approval of course since they're both fantastic improvement hacks :thumbsup:

Hey. I'm not much more than a user on the site here, but I've been trying to apply this patch to a unmodified Ocarina of Time US 1.0 rom, and the IPS patcher I'm using, Lunar IPS, is constantly telling me that the patch is not patching to the intended rom. Is there a reason as to why that is? I tried for over an hour yesterday trying to find the right rom to use it with, and came up empty-handed. :(

You cannot patch them with Lunar IPS. You need to use "beat" to patch the .bps files to the ROMs. Alternatively, you can use the "Online ROM Patcher" found in this very site, under "Submissions" -> "Online ROM Patcher"

ExxorD

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2020, 05:27:44 pm »
I had done as you recommended. Unfortunately, the 1.0 rom I had found had a CRC mismatch. Now I know the online patcher itself leaves the original rom untouched, but the attempt to get it to run didn't work. It just sits on a black screen. And, being that asking for a rom is illegal, I'm stuck spinning my wheels, not knowing where to go. :(

niuus

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2020, 05:03:50 am »
You should use FLIPS, at least. LIPS is kinda obsolete, at this point.

Weird that this thread got bumped with the release of both Redux hacks lol

Anyway, the Gerudo stuff and Fire Temple chants were not done for the hack.
They're carry-overs from using v1.0 of OoT as the base, since Randomizer uses v1.0 for it.
Porting everything to other versions besides v1.0 is not in our hands, it's all Randomizer's, and I doubt they would go out of their way just to add support for other ROM versions, since that would mean rewriting ALL the currently made code for each different version.

So yeah, there's not much that can be done there, and using v1.1 or v1.2 as base is not possible since all the Rando code is made with v1.0.

Haha they can counted as part of the Redux projects for sure, but I had no involvement in Majora's Mask Redux, just in OoT were I did a lot of playtesting and debugging, and also did some text bugfixes.
The creator actually told me if it was okay to line up both releases to be called Redux, and they both got my golden seal of approval of course since they're both fantastic improvement hacks :thumbsup:

You cannot patch them with Lunar IPS. You need to use "beat" to patch the .bps files to the ROMs. Alternatively, you can use the "Online ROM Patcher" found in this very site, under "Submissions" -> "Online ROM Patcher"
Oh, that's fantastic. Great to know, as i really enjoy your Redux projects.

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2020, 09:38:12 am »
I had done as you recommended. Unfortunately, the 1.0 rom I had found had a CRC mismatch. Now I know the online patcher itself leaves the original rom untouched, but the attempt to get it to run didn't work. It just sits on a black screen. And, being that asking for a rom is illegal, I'm stuck spinning my wheels, not knowing where to go. :(

All I can do is recommend you to search a little bit further.
There's some links to the ROM floating around, I'd suggest perhaps searching on Reddit for the v1.0 used for Randomizer :p

IAmCaptPlanet

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2020, 03:26:37 pm »
one issue is that the rom you have is in .n64, and all the patchers i know like them to be in .z64 whis you need the tool64.exe thing to convert them

it isn't as simple as just renamin the .n64 file, anyways that was a issue i had on some n64 roms

Elyos03

• I do things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2020, 11:01:12 pm »

Speaking of which, I wish there was a Majora's Mask Redux version that's compatible with an Adult Link restoration hack. SPECIFICALLY this one that aims to make sense with Majora's Mask's plot.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2020, 11:22:13 pm by SpringSonic9187 »
buy mega man zero/zx legacy collection with money