News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: How many hours a day do you hack, and how many in one sitting?  (Read 4481 times)

RetroRain

• View Profile
I was just curious.  I gave up computer work completely, not just ROM hacking, but any kind of programming, game development, and design.  I got really bad eye-strain, but it is more than that.

I believe, although I can't say for certain, that the computer can actually mess up your brain.  No joke.  I "feel" differently as a result of my strong focus on the computer.  And I have heard that the computer can mess you up quite a bit.

It just drives me nuts that I have to give up stuff that I enjoy, but my health is more important to me.

I'm going to see an eye doctor next week, and maybe I'll see a neurologist.

Mind you that when I was hacking, I also used a screen filter, which stops the glare, and protects your privacy.

So, how many hours a day do you hack?  And if so, how many in one sitting?

All I ask is that you guys be careful, and take care of yourselves.  It is so easy to sit there for hours and just hack and program.  I'd say no more than an hour or two at time, every 4-6 hours.

STARWIN

• View Profile
Re: How many hours a day do you hack, and how many in one sitting?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2016, 12:04:05 pm »
Marginally over 0 a day, 2-8 hours at once

It is easier to sit hours and play games..

When my main monitor was a CRT, I could feel some eye strain sometimes. With a good LCD and brightness set to 0, balanced environmental light, I don't have any issues. Sunlight is way worse. :P

I think future monitor tech might help you. As far as health goes for an ordinary person, it's the non-moving part that's the highest risk. Not the monitor or the "focus", whatever that exactly means.

dougeff

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2016, 12:04:15 pm »
If you count working on NES homebrews and other related programming. I work at it about 2 hours a day, 4 days a week (on average).
nesdoug.com -- blog/tutorial on programming for the NES

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2016, 01:04:05 pm »
If I am browsing the forums then I might well be thinking about games and ROM hacking, if that counts then whatever I do there. If not then probably 0 unless I am on something -- writing docs, doing some kind of hack, helping someone else out with more in depth stuff... When I do though then there have been 14 hour days doing things, same as everything else though. Other times if I have just one thing to do then until it is done which can still be several hours.
Time was I used to pull apart random ROMs a lot but as my main machine is not windows then I have not got the nice things windows affords for hacking and do not do it as often.

Brain issues. Other than risking being a shut in then I am not seeing it. No doubt there are some very strange things that people do and think if they spend too long with computers rather than people, same as isolated jobs and some animal handling jobs really. Some might be more predisposed to it than others I guess.

Bahamut ZERO

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2016, 01:05:45 pm »
For me, it depends on the time of the year, weather and temperature conditions.

For instance, now that it's much warmer/nicer outside where I live, I don't do nearly as much hacking in a day (partially because the room I work in tends to get REALLY hot after an hour or so). Right now I average maybe an hour or two a day if I'm lucky, depending on how entertaining the thing I'm working on is.

Now, if it's the dead of winter with a few feet of snow on the ground (and no important things to do) I'll easily rack up 6-8 hours a day. A large part of that time is just me messing around and having fun (mixed with some weightlifting/exercise to keep my body in shape), so even then I don't make a whole lot of progress. But, I have fun, which is all that really matters when it comes down to it.

It also helps greatly that I keep my computer hooked up to a 40 inch 1080p LCD TV, which pretty much kills any form of eyestrain (especially compared to my old setup using an S-Video cable on my old, big ass tube TV. That was like trying to stare at screen slathered in vaseline.).
Like Super Mario Land? Then you'll love my first completed Rom Hack: Maniac on the Run!

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2016, 04:20:16 pm »
Depends on a lot of conditions honestly.

Some days I'll do it for ten minutes, others I'll legitimately go at it for about 16 hours straight.  I try to do SOMETHING everyday but that doesn't always happen.
'We have to find some way to incorporate the general civilians in the plot.'

'We'll kill off children in the Juuban district with an infection where they cough up blood and are found hanging themselves from cherry blossom trees.'

toruzz

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2016, 12:37:53 am »
It depends on the day as I mostly hack at work when there's nothing to do. That also means that I've never hacked more than 8 hours straight.

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2016, 12:46:35 am »
I've mostly just been spectating for the past month or two since I'm taking a break, but typically for me it could be 30 minutes to most of a day depending on the circumstances.
War is Peace. Freedom is Slavery. Ignorance is Strength.

mevoid

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2016, 03:47:00 am »
5-8 hours a day... I should get a life xD

optomon

• Rite of Spring
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2016, 01:04:23 pm »
Not nearly as much as I used to. When I was single / scarcely employed, I was basically hacking 6-12 hours a day, and could do a lot on weekends. Now, I am a married father working full time, and can get about 2-4 hours a day. I get 1 hour in to and from work on the bus, which has been critical to progress in recent years, as well as having a nice transition between work and home. The remainder is done at work, with Friday being the biggest opportunity to get a lot of work done. I basically never work at home anymore unless I'm working from home, which is when I get most music related work done.

All NES programming work I do is typically confined to about 10 hours a week. During a non-busy work week, however, it is much much higher, as I can get away with doing assembly programming at my job, which I'm doing a lot more of, especially since the start of this year because I am transitioning to homebrew work. I'm at a point where I consider my NES related work to be more important than my actual job, certainly in the long run.

I feel very fortunate to not have any vision problems. My retinas should have burned out a long time ago for spending hours a day staring at hexidecimal code on screens for hours, let alone video games and computer screens in general.

DackR

• Mo~
    • View Profile
    • Hackaday.io Page
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2016, 03:02:20 pm »
At one point, I was on the computer literally every waking moment. As a programmer, I worked from home most days, and when I wasn't working, I was rom hacking. As a result, I had a stroke.
(About 2 years ago)

I was literally working myself to death. I recommend that people make sure they are eating food (I was down to 1 "meal" a day) and getting plenty of exercise. My neglect of my body has caused some pretty serious side-effects that I am still dealing with daily.

Looking back, it all seems quite silly. Now I only work on my projects if I don't feel like shit... Which is maybe an hour a day. I have to admit that romhacking when I feel too crappy to do anything else is mildly therapeutic...
« Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 03:12:18 pm by DackR »

Clippit

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2016, 08:43:56 pm »
I honestly gave up on romhacking when I figured I couldn't do all the stuff I want without it becoming rocket science.
"I swear my victory to this feather!"

Chaos Rush

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2016, 09:54:37 pm »
Currently 0 hours a day due to school and other obligations. If I have a day off then maybe 2-4 hours.

Zynk

• WIP Roll-chan: The Wily Wars
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2016, 11:30:30 pm »
About 4-6 hours on weekdays, 6-8 hours on weekends. I have no life  :'(

Kosayn

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2016, 02:55:54 pm »
I also work on computers all day for my job.  I'm lucky to be mostly free of eye and wrist strain, thanks genetics.

When I can get down to working on the project, I do about 2-4 hours at a time these days.  Used to do 7 or more back in 2012.  I've got dogs, so if I forget to take a break and get some exercise, they remind me.

The best advice I can give is to move some of your bug playtesting off the computer onto another device.  It takes longer, but it'll put you in a better frame of mind to judge what you've designed as a game player.  That, and make sure your chair/computer desk are comfortable.

BlackDog61

• View Profile
    • Super Robot Wars A Portable translation thread
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2016, 03:27:28 pm »
About 4-6 hours on weekdays, 6-8 hours on weekends. I have no life  :'(
Same. Probably on the same eye path too... :-\

RetroRain

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2016, 04:04:45 pm »
Some days I'll do it for ten minutes, others I'll legitimately go at it for about 16 hours straight.  I try to do SOMETHING everyday but that doesn't always happen.

16 hours straight?  Dude, be careful man.  You don't want to wind up with what I got.  It's more than a mere eye-strain.  It's scary.  I can honestly say that my brain felt like it was trembling.  I was really scared.  I didn't even go near a computer for over a week.  The computer can mess you up big time.  I really do pray that it didn't do any permanent damage to me.

At one point, I was on the computer literally every waking moment. As a programmer, I worked from home most days, and when I wasn't working, I was rom hacking. As a result, I had a stroke.
(About 2 years ago)

I was literally working myself to death. I recommend that people make sure they are eating food (I was down to 1 "meal" a day) and getting plenty of exercise. My neglect of my body has caused some pretty serious side-effects that I am still dealing with daily.

Looking back, it all seems quite silly. Now I only work on my projects if I don't feel like shit... Which is maybe an hour a day. I have to admit that romhacking when I feel too crappy to do anything else is mildly therapeutic...

Yeah definitely take care of yourself man.  I believe the reason ROM hacking seems therapeutic because there is a level of enjoyment in it.  It feels so good to do awesome things to a game that was not otherwise done.  And improving on games as well.

I really want to go back to ROM hacking, but I'm scared that I'll get really messed up.  I have a doctor's appointment next week.  I'll see what the doctor says, and maybe I'll see a neurologist too.

If I ever go back to computer work, I'd have to really discipline myself to only do it 1-2 hours a day, or 1-2 hours every 6-8 hours.  And maybe get a better pair of glasses.

HEALTH IS MORE IMPORTANT.  NEVER FORGET THAT GUYS.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2016, 04:13:15 pm by Rockman »

Sliver X

• EX•CINERIBVS•IGNIS•EXCITABITVR
    • View Profile
    • Panicus - A Fragment of Memory
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2016, 06:04:41 pm »
I haven't hacked in years, but when I did I recall more than a few 24 hour or so spans of hacking, and another handful pushing 36 hours.

SleepyFist

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2016, 08:25:01 pm »
If I've got all the info to go on for making an edit I can do 1-2 sittings per day for a maybe a good 2-5 hours each maybe,
provided I don't get sidetracked by something,
Like Japanese Indie RPGs, or checking RHDN forum every few minutes, Or checking Youtube for music, etc
Sleepy's tune of the week|| Lost Lullabies (Unreleased Samurai Champloo tracks)|| https://youtu.be/BK6PR8DPNOw

UltimateUrinater

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2016, 06:15:59 pm »
I honestly gave up on romhacking when I figured I couldn't do all the stuff I want without it becoming rocket science.

Awww...that's unfortunate. I'm sure the more you do it, the less it would seem like rocket science to you....i dunno. :crazy: