News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Let's talk mobile ports!  (Read 3132 times)

Chronosplit

• View Profile
Let's talk mobile ports!
« on: April 16, 2016, 08:47:46 pm »
Some are hit-or-miss like the entirety of Square's career in the platform, some are actually pretty good like Baldur's Gate (arguably) and Talisman, and some are just plain awful.

With Romancing Saga 2's first official localization making it to only mobile, what's your opinion on this?  Is it good or bad to have translations available on mobile?  Do you think it has a hazard in that if it's not updated properly with mobile OS updates and the like, it has the potential to be lost forever?

Synnae

• View Profile
Re: Let's talk mobile ports!
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2016, 06:36:09 pm »
No way I will be playing RS2 on a mobile. It's a shame the Vita release will be Japan exclusive (again).

Unless if someone decide to translate the Vita release (maybe it would not be a living nightmare like the SFC version), then I will just ignore it.

If by any chance an official translation for Vita gets released, then it would be one of the only reasons for me to get a Vita. Along with Muramasa the Demon Blade remake, Dragon's Crown (never played it before cause I never bothered to buy any of the systems it's in), plus some other games.

It's a good thing RS1 finally got a complete fan translation (I still gotta play it though). If they were to release RS3 on Vita as well (or an English fan translation for the original game), then it'd be perfect.

« Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 06:43:52 pm by Synnae »

SleepyFist

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2016, 07:02:09 pm »
Touchscreen phones are simply a bad platform in general, They are not made for gaming at all.
I have Sonic CD and 2 Remastered but the controls are hideous despite the obvious effort put in in every other way.
As for RPGs same applies, the few I've played turned me off just by being incredibly clunky and imprecise.

Bonk

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2016, 12:42:19 am »
Square Enix can only think big. They've lost their minds honestly. They do not understand Niche and how to make Niche work for them.
The fact they are releasing it on Mobile at all will almost instantly offset any potential losses.

They just don't care. But that's par for the course with their blatantly and consistently terrible mobile phone ports  and PC ports. (Original Mobile games are another matter)

MegaManJuno

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • Robot Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2016, 01:54:51 pm »
If they add proper gamepad support, I *might* consider it for the Shield TV.

No way I'm playing through it on my phone though.

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2016, 02:59:56 pm »
Unless if someone decide to translate the Vita release (maybe it would not be a living nightmare like the SFC version), then I will just ignore it.
Square usually does the path of least resistance with these ports so I doubt it's going to be any less of a pain.  IMO it still needs to be done farther down the road but for different reasons.  I feel at least that there's a very real danger of losing the only means of getting an official translation at this point: between the dumb use of online-only DRM used in certain titles and sometimes making the decision to not update ports, there's a real chance this thing could become dead with no chance of ever playing it again.

I support RS2 finally getting love and all, and I'll probably be buying it myself (because I view it as a dollar vote for stuff we like getting translated), but I hope that when the time is needed we can at least port the official translation into the SNES or Vita copy for archival's sake.

If they add proper gamepad support, I *might* consider it for the Shield TV.

No way I'm playing through it on my phone though.
They did forFF VI at least.  That was the thing that made it some form of playable for me, though I still just emulate other versions instead.  I mean for me all the others were doable (and heck, in my opinion V's was one of the best outside of the DQ ports as far as touch controls go as long as you turn off the diagonal movement), but I still can't fathom who thought any part of the VI mobile port's UI was a sound idea.

Then again I was using a tablet.  Maybe the bigger screen factors into these things being easier/harder to use or something.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2016, 04:15:29 pm by Chronosplit »

Spooniest

• Kuru zotsu!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2016, 03:26:45 pm »
I have very big thumbs = cannot play mobile games at all.

People don't think about those of us with large thumbs at all when they design these things.
Yamero~~!

zonk47

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2016, 04:00:13 pm »
I've thought for a while that touch zone control pads could be improved by having an option to disable diagonal input. This way players don't hit down by mistake when trying to move right.
A good slave does not realize he is one; the best slave will not accept that he has become one.

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2016, 05:15:27 pm »
I've thought for a while that touch zone control pads could be improved by having an option to disable diagonal input. This way players don't hit down by mistake when trying to move right.
This is something they all need as an option, honestly.  Especially when the D-Pads are tiny for no reason.