News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Final Fantasy VII: Square-Enix Canon Addendum  (Read 16082 times)

Burnt Lasagna

• View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy VII: Square-Enix Canon Addendum
« Reply #40 on: October 14, 2016, 08:14:37 pm »
Sometimes, even fear of offending religious people has had names change in the English version.  Cid's Weapon, Longinus (which is itself likely a mistake on the Japanese writers' part, since that's the name of the person who stabbed Jesus and NOT the spear) was renamed "Spirit Lance". https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holy_Lance  You can see here that it is never known under that name.  It's always "Holy Lance" or "Holy Spear" or "Spear of Destiny". It's very strange to me  that Baskett, or someone else at Square America, understood who Longinus was and amended it.
On Morbor - it definitely isn't Malboro - but that's the most common name given to it in the English localizations.  Worth noting that FF11 did differ and went with Morbol. Judging by the fact that Morbo means disease in Italian/Latin, I'd say that's the real origin - but that the original designer of the monster simply added an r to the end. It could still be an l at the end though, but without the original creator saying so, we will never know.  I understand that in this case, this project is likely going to go with Malboro, since that's mostly used.
Thanks for bringing these up.
I implemented these name changes into the Google Doc (will be in next beta release).
Code: [Select]
Morbor = Malboro
Holy Lance = Longinus

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 15, 2016, 09:50:10 am »
I wonder now if that means the Longibunne Spear in Tactics wasn't a mistranslation but a censor?  If so that's funny since they kept it in the PSP version.  Anyway I'm not completely sold that this was an actual error in the original Japanese; it can possibly be a reference to EVA like the Gundam ref in one of Cloud's weapons, and they just needed to shorten it from Spear of Longinus.  From then on Square could've just used the terminology as a FFVII reference.  We'll probably never know for sure.

Either way, it is Longinus in the GBA games where it's used as a postgame weapon (interestingly Spirit Lance stopped being used after FFX) and the Crisis Core ability.  So the name checks out for the purpose of canon.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 05:27:39 pm by Chronosplit »

Burnt Lasagna

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 15, 2016, 10:41:07 am »
http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Longinus_(weapon)
Most mainline Final Fantasy games call it Longinus, with some calling it Lance of Longinus. A true direct translation (ロンギヌス) is also Longinus.

I'm not really sold on the Holy Lance localization. I don't think it's fare to assume the creators made a mistake and meant the actual Holy Lance. After all, Longinus is a Saint, he has notoriety outside the spear he used.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Longinus
I can see a blacksmith naming a spear to honor Saint Longinus.

EDIT: Apparently Bravely Second: End Layer has Longinus as a weapon, with this description.
The fateful spear used in the execution of a legendary prophet. He was the savior of his people, but was eventually taken prisoner by the land's rulers, who feared his influence. It is said to be a holy relic because it was bathed in his blood. It is particularly effective against creature of the sea.
This basically makes it the Holy Lance. However, it's not a Final Fantasy game.
Final Fantasy Tactics has a this weapon (only translated as Lance of Longibunne) with this description,
Many adventurers have lost their lives pursuing this spear, said to be capable of piercing solid stone. Legend holds it once slew a demon that had seized control of the mortal realm.
Which doesn't fit the description of the Holy Lance.

EDIT2: Okay, so the PSP version of Final Fantasy II has this description for Longinus,
An ancient weapon that pierced the side of an immortal.
I can now see the Holy Lance localization being valid.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2016, 12:16:32 pm by Burnt Lasagna »

DLPB

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 16, 2016, 07:58:43 pm »
All the other weapons of Cid are named after weapons. Mythological or otherwise (apart from Mop, which is a joke, and Venus Gospel, which is unique as an ultimate weapon). Some are given unique names but are still lances or spears. 

Spear
Slash Pike
Trident
Pole Axe
Partizan
She Mao
Javelin
Glow Lance
Mop
Dragoon Lance
Qing Long
Fangtian Hua Ji
Holy Lance
Venus Gospel

It seems very unlikely to me that they'd make that one exception.  I agree that Longinus is likely short for "Lance of Longinus" but space limits or considerations in earlier games led to it being simply Longinus. A more faithful localization is Holy Lance imho, which I've used for PC retranslation :)

It could still be that they wanted it named Longinus, but I think the odds are in favour of the actual spear.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2016, 08:04:23 pm by DLPB »

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 20, 2017, 05:31:32 pm »
Hey, would anyone happen to have a fresh link to both parts of the addendum?

Dropbox worked it's "magic" here.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 05:48:20 pm by Chronosplit »

Burnt Lasagna

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 20, 2017, 11:37:47 pm »
Yeah, Drop Box shut down old public link sharing.
I updated the OP with working links.

Psiloc

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 09, 2019, 12:20:02 pm »
Hi there,

Just wondered if I can use this with the current version of the PS1 patch? Notice that this patch seems to be older than the latest beacause patch.

Also, sorry but the Dropbox links in the OP aren't working... any chance of a fix? :)

Mugi

• Personal text
    • View Profile
    • Blacklabel-translations
« Reply #47 on: January 10, 2019, 11:13:22 am »
Yeah, Drop Box shut down old public link sharing.
I updated the OP with working links.

http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=27492.msg367640#msg367640

just saying :P
In PSP we trust.

instadevil

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 21, 2019, 10:09:47 pm »
Hi, does anyone have working links for this patch? I would like to try this out but none of the links are working.