News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Final Fantasy VII: Square-Enix Canon Addendum  (Read 18329 times)

Burnt Lasagna

• View Profile
Final Fantasy VII: Square-Enix Canon Addendum
« on: April 15, 2016, 08:51:38 am »
Hey,
I've been working on bringing the official canon names to Green_goblin's PSX port of the Final Fantasy VII Re-localization. While I find the translation work to be much improved over the original, I find the new (more accurate) names to be off-putting (Ex: Phoenix Down is now Phoenix Tail). Below is a beta addendum patch (just hasn't been tested much).
[updated "5/28/2016" (v0.3)]
https://www.dropbox.com/s/d0dbcf5cb5bjl2s/FF7-Canon(v0.3).zip?dl=1

It (currently) must be applied to the unofficial update to the re-localization patch, I created, here.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/qmrubol9oct2em2/FF7-Because.zip?dl=1
It fixes these issues present in Green_goblin's current patch.
Code: [Select]
-Includes the translated nvmkin1.dat that Green_goblin forgot.
-Fixes the {NEW PAGE} issue when Aerith dies.
-Fixes the ellipsis soldier text.
-Fixes the ending movie audio distortion (new subtitling done with FF7Tools).
-Uses the old translation for the Sephiroth and Jenovo cut-scene(new movie has broken audio).
-Rebuilt the images via PSXImager and used FF7Tool's "fixup" to patch in a new LBA for the files.

The original thread for the PSX Because port is here.
http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php/topic,19709.0.html

Below is a Google Doc of all the name changes I have implemented into the PSX port.
(list formulated with the help of Chronosplit and Cold_spirit).
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1dV749b3pbzEnxdBUsyUx0s6BGAiFt29FrSWjVp8z4HU/edit?usp=sharing
I'm currently waiting on Green_goblin to release his update to the main PSX patch before calling this addendum "finished". In the mean time, I'd appreciate some suggestions on name changes/bugs.

For reference, here is also DLPB/Luksy's Google Doc on names changed from the Original game to their Re-localization.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1KBBbeilQTCAJJIOqOoLMnkKb-nEpqEoV5Ih4uW-Yoo8/edit?pref=2&pli=1#gid=1292658812

NOTE: I will change any Name, Item , Summon, ect, that Square-Enix has used throughout the series.  Any names that are exclusive to Final Fantasy VII (AKA, never mentioned in Crisis Core/Advent Children/Dirge of Cerberus or any other game) I will leave as DLPB/Luksy has it.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2018, 12:46:17 am by Burnt Lasagna »

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy VII: Square-Enix Canon Addendum
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2016, 09:17:23 am »
I'm all for this. Moogles, Phoenix Downs, Chocobos, Mythril all of it should be Square's official current names.

With that said, Aeris should be Aerith. I know some are adamant about Aeris, but it's Square's official name for the character.

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2016, 09:31:46 am »
Still sad to see the Limit Break changes go, but I'm really hype to see this one happen.  This is sorely needed to be sure IMO.

With that said, Aeris should be Aerith. I know some are adamant about Aeris, but it's Square's official name for the character.
I agree with this, even though a naming section exists.  Also Bolt Armlet... maybe make that Thunder Armlet as a compromise?  It feels kind of weird because Bolt is now Thunder.  Then again, that didn't stop other games from doing it.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2016, 09:41:17 am by Chronosplit »

Burnt Lasagna

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2016, 09:44:37 am »
Yes, Aeris is will be Aerith in this addendum (it's Aerith in the base Re-localization also).
Still sad to see the Limit Break changes go, but I'm really hype to see this one happen.
[...]  Also Bolt Armlet... maybe make that Thunder Armlet as a compromise?  It feels kind of weird because Bolt is now Thunder.  Then again, that didn't stop other games from doing it.
What's sad about the limit break changes?
As for Bolt Armlet, it's called that in Crisis Core. It's also called "Thunderbolt Armlet" in Type Zero but I'm more likely to side with Crisis Core since it's in the same universe as FF7 (Note: Final Fantasy Record Keeper also calls it Bolt Armlet).

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2016, 10:00:53 am »
What's sad about the limit break changes?
I've just grown partial to the retranslated terms is all.  It's personal preference as I feel the retranslations read better, but I'm not complaining.  I can see why the changes were needed for the addendum, after all Climhazzard is near everywhere. :P

As for Bolt Armlet, it's called that in Crisis Core. It's also called "Thunderbolt Armlet" in Type Zero but I'm more likely to side with Crisis Core since it's in the same universe as FF7 (Note: Final Fantasy Record Keeper also calls it Bolt Armlet).
Ah, that makes total sense then.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2016, 10:08:02 am by Chronosplit »

Burnt Lasagna

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2016, 06:32:14 pm »
Updated the first post with a beta patch of sorts. It's meant to be applied to the current PSX re-localization patch (April 1st one).
It includes all name changes in the Google Doc above. Let me know if you guys find any bugs/things to change.
Also, I fixed a couple of problems with the main patch, such as including the translated nvmkin1.dat that Green_goblin forgot in the base patch, fixed the {NEW PAGE} issue when Aerith dies, and fixed the ellipsis soldier text.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 08:08:24 pm by Burnt Lasagna »

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2016, 08:49:24 pm »
So far so good here!  Nicely done.

Burnt Lasagna

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2016, 10:53:54 am »
I was playing a little of the intro and noticed two mistakes.

"...sigh..." is yellow and there is an instance of District that I forgot to replace with Sector.
I've fixed the above issues (wanted to say so here so no one reports on it).

Kensou

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2016, 12:36:34 pm »
Hi, I like your project since I like the canon names a bit more, I'm currently playing through Green_Globlin's project and posting any mistakes or issues I find, I have pointed a few if you wanna check them out on this thread http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php/topic,19709.260.html my findings are mostly on page 13 & 14 of the thread.

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2016, 02:39:40 pm »
Speaking of which, is the yellow text issue also in the vanilla retranslation?  I didn't catch it on an earlier playthrough if it was. :P

Kensou

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2016, 03:59:27 pm »
I didn't catch it either.

Anyway, I have a suggestion for the canon name of one of Yuffie's limit breaks. The one originally called Meikyo Shisui, or Clear Tranquil in the original localization. The Beacause translation sets it as "Tranquil mind", but in FFXI it's a Samurai's 2 hour ability (well, 1 hour nowadays) and it's set as such, with its japanese romanization.

http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Meikyo_Shisui

Though if this change were to be made, I believe most if not all of Yuffie's limit breaks should follow suit. in FFXI at least Samurai as well as Ninja abilities remain untranslated. IMO it's a nice way of handling it because it gives out that they all have a foreign nature since you know Wutai where Yuffie comes from is basically Japan in FFVII.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 04:06:37 pm by Kensou »

Burnt Lasagna

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2016, 03:35:31 pm »
Hi, I like your project since I like the canon names a bit more, I'm currently playing through Green_Globlin's project and posting any mistakes or issues I find, I have pointed a few if you wanna check them out on this thread http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php/topic,19709.260.html my findings are mostly on page 13 & 14 of the thread.
Thanks, the current beta patch for this project does include fixes for the Solider text and Cloud's Flashback (that scene is using the original game's translation by mistake), which you mentioned.

Though if this change were to be made, I believe most if not all of Yuffie's limit breaks should follow suit. in FFXI at least Samurai as well as Ninja abilities remain untranslated. IMO it's a nice way of handling it because it gives out that they all have a foreign nature since you know Wutai where Yuffie comes from is basically Japan in FFVII.
I looked through Yuffie's limit breaks and found two other Limit Breaks to change (not including Meikyo Shisui) .
Tranquil Mind = Meikyo Shisui
Blood Sacrifice = Bloodfest
Killer Blow = Gauntlet
What else did you have in mind?

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2016, 07:24:22 am »
Midgar Swarm/Zolom also goes by another name these days.

FFIII: Yormungand (this however, appears to be a different case.)
FFVI: Midgardsormr
FFX:: Jormungand
FFXI: Jormungand
FFXIV: Midgardsormr
FFT: Midgardsormr

...And I just realized I screwed up on my FFT name fix.  Whoops.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2016, 07:32:04 am by Chronosplit »

Burnt Lasagna

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2016, 11:33:18 am »
Midgar Swarm/Zolom also goes by another name these days.

FFIII: Yormungand (this however, appears to be a different case.)
FFVI: Midgardsormr
FFX:: Jormungand
FFXI: Jormungand
FFXIV: Midgardsormr
FFT: Midgardsormr

...And I just realized I screwed up on my FFT name fix.  Whoops.
The Re-Translation actually has it as Midgardsormr (which FF6[GBA], FF14 and FFT calls it).
http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Midgardsormr
I'll leave it as is, since Midgardsormr is used in most modern FF translations.   

« Last Edit: April 30, 2016, 12:39:47 pm by Burnt Lasagna »

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2016, 03:56:04 pm »
Thanks, the current beta patch for this project does include fixes for the Solider text and Cloud's Flashback (that scene is using the original game's translation by mistake), which you mentioned.
  I looked through Yuffie's limit breaks and found two other Limit Breaks to change (not including Meikyo Shisui) .
Tranquil Mind = Meikyo Shisui
Blood Sacrifice = Bloodfest
Killer Blow = Gauntlet
What else did you have in mind?

I like the original Limit Break names personally. I'm also in favor of Midgardsormr as well.

Burnt Lasagna

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2016, 10:49:22 am »
Also, I forgot,
Flash Lightning = Greased Lightninghttp://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Greased_Lightning_%28ability%29
At least Tactics A2 also calls it Greased Lightning. Tactics Advance calls it Greased Bolt and FF4-2 calls it Gale Rush.
I'm more likely to side with Greased Lightning because,
1) A2 calls it Greased Lightning and Tactics Advance comes close (bolt is just an abridged version of Lightning).
and
2) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wK63eUyk-iM

Anyone want to debate this?
EDIT: Also, Airborne Brigade and Record Keeper also have it as Greased Lightning.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 02:16:51 pm by Burnt Lasagna »

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2016, 04:02:36 pm »
It's pretty sound to me.  Greased Bolt would probably be Greased Lightning in FFTA if it wasn't for it's trend of calling things Bolt that aren't the Thunder spells (Bolt Blade, Bolt Breath, etc.)  I think that was because of menu space.

May 08, 2016, 02:50:47 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Speaking of Tactics Advance, Hardedge is a greatsword of similar design on there that seems to be an intentional reference.  Also Fire Veil is a Ninja Skill.  So...

Hard Breaker>Hardedge
Katon>Fire Veil
« Last Edit: May 10, 2016, 12:38:56 pm by Chronosplit »

Burnt Lasagna

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2016, 04:01:09 pm »
Speaking of Tactics Advance, Hardedge is a greatsword of similar design on there that seems to be an intentional reference.  Also Fire Veil is a Ninja Skill.  So...

Hard Breaker>Hardedge
Katon>Fire Veil
I agree with you on Hard Breaker = Hardedge.
However, Katon seems to only be called Fire Veil in FF7, Tactics Advance and A2. Everywhere else it's Flame or (as the re-translation has it) Katon.
http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Flame_%28Ninjutsu%29

EDIT: Turns out I already have Hard Breaker changed to Hardedge in the current patch. I just forgot to add some of the Weapon changes to the Google Doc (Fixed now).

May 10, 2016, 10:13:05 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Updated the first post with an updated Canon Addendum.
It is based off of the unofficial update to the re-localization patch I created here.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/47184537/Projects/FF7-Because.zip
(I hope to adopt it to whatever Green_goblin makes the next official release later).

This newest patch has all changes talked about in this thread applied.
Also, like the unofficial update to the base patch, this is a rebuilt ISO with LBA changed accordingly.
The field data has also had all unused texted cleaned out (using Makou Reactor). This should improve load times (ever so slightly).

I'd appreciate some testers.  :)

EDIT: The damage limit has also been changed back to 9999 in the latest Canon patch. Green_goblin set it to 65000 in the base patch.

« Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 11:49:57 am by Burnt Lasagna »

Kensou

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2016, 11:21:54 pm »
I had forgotten to mention it. The Spell to revive, on Green_Goblin's version is called "Rise" the Cannon is "Raise". Same goes for Arise, the cannon name is "Araise".

Sources:

http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Raise_(Life_1)
http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Araise

I played FFXI for many years that's the name of the spells since then I believe. Also I think in FFVI Advance they're called that.

The lighting weakness text still reads "Weak against LightÑ" at least for the Custom Sweeper enemies outside of Midgar.

Burnt Lasagna

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2016, 11:52:10 pm »
Thanks for the findings! I'll be adding Rise, however, I'm not sure about Araise. According to the wiki, the only game to call it "Araise" is Final Fantasy Dimensions (everything else mostly calls it Arise). Also, in the Etymology section it says this,
Although the Araise name is rarely preserved in English releases, the spell was revealed for Final Fantasy XI as Araise and named Araise on the Test Server, but after players denounced the name Araise, the English localization team stated that it was simply a "temporary" name while the spell was in development. On its full release, the spell was named Arise.

EDIT: Also, I need to do some Window resizing on the current patch...