News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Baka & Test Portable, Quick Translation Check [JP-EN]  (Read 2526 times)

FShadow

• View Profile
Baka & Test Portable, Quick Translation Check [JP-EN]
« on: April 11, 2016, 12:15:01 pm »
Hello, all. I'm currently working on a translation patch for Baka & Test Portable for the PSP. Essentially all of the script is translated, but there are a few lines that I don't think are entirely accurate. Could somebody with a solid background in Japanese have a look at these lines and let me know how they could be better put in English?

Context: When explaining the rules for the new board-game test system, one of the characters mentions that anybody who wins 3 matches in a row will receive a prize of their choice. Another character asks "Can we really get anything we want?" which prompts this line:

Text:
はい、学園長が仰っていた
「私たちの利益」というのは
そういう意味だと思います。

Current translation:
Yes. The principle said it as
"fulfillment for our faith." So, at least,
I think that's what she meant.
--------------------------------
My concern is that 利益 was incorrectly translated. A look at Jisho suggests that the third definition was incorrectly used; the voice actor clearly pronounces りえき, not りやく. That said, I'm not entirely sure how it would translate otherwise.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Seihen

• View Profile
Re: Baka & Test Portable, Quick Translation Check [JP-EN]
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2016, 07:03:53 pm »
はい、学園長が仰っていた
「私たちの利益」というのは
そういう意味だと思います。

Current translation:
Yes. The principle said it as
"fulfillment for our faith." So, at least,
I think that's what she meant.

Just throwing this out there, but 利益 (rieki; りえき) is a really common word. Messing something like this ups seems a little.. out there. Are you sure of other lines provided by the translator? Not meaning to impeach their credibility without knowing anything further, but this seems like a really Google-translate style mistake.

Anyway, you're right. Benefit, advantage, interest, or merit would be a better translation for the way. For the translation:

Right, I think this is that
"to our advantage" the Principal
was talking about.

Or something like that.

FShadow

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2016, 11:25:48 pm »
Thank you very much for your help! I might post another line or two here if something comes up. Only a couple scripts were handled by this translator, but most of the other lines seemed pretty accurate, in any case.

Anyone interested in following this project can do so over at GBATemp.

-----------------------------------------------
Edit:

This line also gave a bit of trouble:

Text:
ん? 今日は吉井と坂本だけじゃないようだね。
雁首そろえて何の用だい?
まぁ、どうせ賞品のことだろうけどさ。

Translation:
Hm? Looks like it's just Yoshii and Sakamoto today.
???????????????????????????
Anyway, I assume this is about the reward, right?

This line is spoken by the principal after Akihisa Yoshii and Sakamoto burst into her office unannounced. The second line appears to use a phrase that the translator was unfamiliar with. Does anyone know what it means?
« Last Edit: April 13, 2016, 06:29:16 pm by FShadow »

FShadow

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2016, 03:00:25 am »
Hey, back here again with another couple of lines, if anyone wants to have a look at them.

1)
Text:
どうやらこの戦、相当に荒れそうじゃのう。
何事もなければ良いのじゃが。

Context:
Spoken by a character that speaks in a strange, old-fashioned manner of speech. He says this after the rest of the characters begin to bicker over which of them is going to win the upcoming Summoner Test War.

----------
2)
Text:
――こうして、
僕達のいつもと違う試召戦争は
その幕を開けたのだった。

Translation:
And thus, the curtains rose
on our unusual Summoner Test War.

Context:
Occurs at the end of the prologue, after the "Summoner Test War" (試験召喚戦争, which I'm pretty sure is abbreviated as 試召戦争) is explained, and everyone states their desire to win. The ST War in the game's story is radically different than the ones usually held in the Anime/Light Novels.

Seihen

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2016, 07:45:16 pm »
1)
Text:
どうやらこの戦、相当に荒れそうじゃのう。
何事もなければ良いのじゃが。

Looks like this match (battle?) will be pretty intense.
Hopefully nothing will come of it.
(the nuance in the second line is that the speaker hopes that it will end peacefully, without anything too extreme happening)

2)
Text:
――こうして、
僕達のいつもと違う試召戦争は
その幕を開けたのだった。

Translation:
And thus, the curtains rose
on our unusual Summoner Test War.

Looks good to me!

ckrit

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2016, 10:42:46 pm »
Thank you very much for your help! I might post another line or two here if something comes up. Only a couple scripts were handled by this translator, but most of the other lines seemed pretty accurate, in any case.

Anyone interested in following this project can do so over at GBATemp.

-----------------------------------------------
Edit:

This line also gave a bit of trouble:

Text:
ん? 今日は吉井と坂本だけじゃないようだね。
雁首そろえて何の用だい?
まぁ、どうせ賞品のことだろうけどさ。

Translation:
Hm? Looks like it's just Yoshii and Sakamoto today.
???????????????????????????
Anyway, I assume this is about the reward, right?

This line is spoken by the principal after Akihisa Yoshii and Sakamoto burst into her office unannounced. The second line appears to use a phrase that the translator was unfamiliar with. Does anyone know what it means?

ん? 今日は吉井と坂本だけじゃないようだね。
Hm? It looks like it's not just Yoshii and Sakamoto today.

雁首そろえて何の用だい?
雁首をそろえる means 'to get together/to gather,' but in a highly derisive fashion. You'll have to change the tone of your translation or throw in an insult like 'incompetent fools' to reflect this, but it depends on the nature of the situation.

まぁ、どうせ賞品のことだろうけどさ。
Well, I assume this is about the reward anyway.
賞品 can also mean award/trophy/prize, so check with your TL what they are actually talking about.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 10:54:53 pm by ckrit »

FShadow

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2016, 01:46:03 pm »
Thanks to Seihen and ckrit's help, I was able to verify a few of the lines that were holding me back from releasing a video of the project's status.

Here is a video preview of the game's prologue, in English.