News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: GDC emulation talk "It's just emulation"  (Read 2497 times)

FAST6191

• View Profile
GDC emulation talk "It's just emulation"
« on: April 09, 2016, 06:33:53 pm »
http://www.gdcvault.com/play/1023470/-It-s-Just-Emulation
For the unaware GDC = game developers conference which is appropriately named it would seem.
Was linked to me on IRC last night, I stayed up and watched it, and the Q and A afterwards, despite slowly falling asleep in my chair not five minutes before. Has not supplanted https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5AceLYWE1Q as my favourite talk in that style but still worth watching.

Doubtless most here will be aware of the key events, science underpinning it and most other things but if nothing else it makes for an interesting "how the other half lives" type experience. It also mentions ROM hacking in passing, even if not by such a term so I am posting on this forum.

zonk47

• View Profile
Re: GDC emulation talk "It's just emulation"
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2016, 07:15:42 pm »
Interesting how he slams pirates in the summary text, but makes use of NP scans to make his point. Nice of him to avoid crediting the hard working folks at retromags.com, who made his presentation possible.
A good slave does not realize he is one; the best slave will not accept that he has become one.

Revenant

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2016, 08:50:19 pm »
Interesting how he slams pirates in the summary text

I don't think "those darned software pirates" was supposed to be read as a serious attempt at condemning piracy, especially since multiple times throughout the talk he specifically does the opposite (i.e. giving due credit to people who get labeled "pirates" by the game industry just for trying to keep out-of-print games available to players).

STARWIN

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2016, 09:11:55 pm »
seems like a fun talk, thanks for the link.

Kallisto

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2016, 11:36:19 pm »
It is pretty much the one disconnect with Executive Suits & Old Game Revivists (Yeah I made word up). They would sit on a dead game til the day they keel over, and if anyone dared to keep a game alive that they would be punished. It's a pretty screwed up situation. I don't think the developers care too much about it, but it's the suits that just want to be the biggest dicks on the planet.

Lilinda

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2016, 10:30:20 am »
Revivalist is the word you're looking for. Obscure as hell, so I don't blame you for not knowing it.
Retired moderator/staff member as of July 14th 2016