News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: For the Frog the Bell Tolls DX (WIP)  (Read 93171 times)

John Enigma

• View Profile
Re: Kaeru no Tame ni Kane wa Naru Color Hack
« Reply #40 on: April 25, 2016, 07:52:59 pm »
I know that this is a GB game, but is it really that possible to change its b&w color scheme to full Game Boy Color colors?

House

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 26, 2016, 01:02:49 am »
Hello everyone!

Many of you may know that back in the GBC era Nintendo announced a "DX" version of Kaeru no Tame ni Kane wa Naru (For the Frog the Bell Tolls or, as the other thread says, The Frog for Whom the Bell Tolls). I really enjoyed the game and I couldn't help but think that it would have been amazing in color.

Recently I became familiar with GB/C ASM and managed to make a VWF hack for Link's Awakening, and now that I'm confident enough to work on a bigger project I think is time to make this hack.

The project is in a really early stage, but in the Screenshots thread it became obvious to me that I could use some feedback :)
I'm also tweaking little things here and there, most notably Sablé's sprite. Also, choosing the correct colors is hard, so I'd appreciate any comments on those matters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JouJV2MZRA

Spoiler:
BTW, sorry for my bad English

You can use https://github.com/shonumi/gbe-plus . This way it will be much simpler. You can even make HD tiles for it. You have to wait a bit for the stable release or use this but it's a little old version.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-WE3IAskDSYRHVmWXNmd1gxQnM/view?pref=2&pli=1
Here is the repository with texture packs for GBE+ https://github.com/GregoryMcGregerson/GBE-Plus-Projects
« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 11:29:40 am by House »

John Enigma

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 02, 2016, 11:50:34 am »
I want this patch to work on my Supercard DSTwo.

Is it possible that this might work?

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 02, 2016, 06:30:54 pm »
I know that this is a GB game, but is it really that possible to change its b&w color scheme to full Game Boy Color colors?
If one is willing to put in a lot of work on it, then yes it is. :)
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

toruzz

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 02, 2016, 06:37:50 pm »
I've been looking into how the game works and I've come to realize that I can make the hack way better, hence I've decided to rewrite all the code. Basically I've found a way to fix the scrolling artifacts and restore the fade-in/fade-out animations.

Hopefully I will be able to show it to you soon.

Is the level data similar to that of Link's Awakening?  I would vote for making changes as long as they don't affect gameplay.  I know that LA did some changes, mostly to fix glitches that lead to unwinnable situations.
Sorry, I didn't look into Link's Awakening level data, so I can't tell :/

As KingMike said yes, it is possible :)
There are tons of similar hacks, i.e. http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/175/

You can use https://github.com/shonumi/gbe-plus . This way it will be much simpler. You can even make HD tiles for it. You have to wait a bit for the stable release or use this but it's a little old version.
I want to make a hack that can be played anywhere, even in the actual GBC.

I want this patch to work on my Supercard DSTwo.

Is it possible that this might work?
Yes, you will be able to play it on GameYob for NDS or any other GBC emulator.

John Enigma

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 02, 2016, 07:12:20 pm »
Yes, you will be able to play it on GameYob for NDS or any other GBC emulator.
Yes! :thumbsup:

Ziko

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 10, 2016, 12:03:03 pm »
Will this hack work with the english translation patch when it's finished? I played the whole normal game in english and want to replay it in color in english.

USC

• Submission Reviewer
  • Obviously Outdated
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 10, 2016, 12:51:27 pm »
Hey Ziko. As toruzz said at the beginning of the topic...

No, as I want to insert a VWF hack. Hopefully the translator will grant me permission to use his script.
If it doesn't I'll release what I have so anyone else can finish it  :)

Ziko

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 13, 2016, 02:53:13 am »
Oh I read that. I guess if this comes out, I can replay it in Japanese anyway since I beat it once. It's not that big a deal to me.

regnad

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 23, 2016, 09:13:47 am »
Do is this project dead? :(

MathUser2929

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 23, 2016, 09:21:04 am »
I hope not, it's a excellent project. Truley a game worth colorizing. I'd also like to see rolan's curse 2 colorized, but I ain't expecting he played that. It gots great music tho.

toruzz

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 23, 2016, 12:33:45 pm »
The project isn't dead, but I was rewriting the code so there wasn't much to say.
I'll show you some progress soon, I just have to fix a couple of things  ;)

June 29, 2016, 06:19:41 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
I'm receiving a lot of questions about the hack, so I'll give you guys some updates.

I'm almost finished with the code rewriting and things are going well, I'm happy I went this route. The new code fixes all the speed problems, and the fade in/fade out animation is now completely restored. Also I almost completely removed the artifacts that appeared in the screen transitions.

However, this comes at a cost - now I'm forced to tweak the palettes so the transitions aren't so abrupt. For example, the colors in Saltwater would look like this while the screen is moving:

So that's the downside, in certain points I won't be able to use bright colors as before. I've tried different formulas and I think this is the best way to go, but if you guys prefer brighter colors in exchange of some artifacts I'm open to changes.

By the way, I've finished the intro scene:

As you can see there is a SGB border, but it is just a mockup. I definitely want to insert a SGB border, but I wanted to know your opinion on this one first. If someone comes up with a better one maybe I'll use it.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2016, 06:19:42 pm by toruzz »

regnad

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 03, 2016, 08:12:32 am »
The new coloration kind of reminds me of Zelda Oracle of Ages in the past.

MathUser2929

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 03, 2016, 09:21:55 am »
It's kinda funny that you would add a SGB border to a GBC only game. Or does it still have a GB mode? I understand why you would still include one as I've played Zelda DX on a emulator. You can have colors and SGB Border on at the same time.

Guadozoku

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 03, 2016, 09:26:27 am »
The project isn't dead, but I was rewriting the code so there wasn't much to say.
I'll show you some progress soon, I just have to fix a couple of things  ;)

June 29, 2016, 06:19:41 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
I'm receiving a lot of questions about the hack, so I'll give you guys some updates.

I'm almost finished with the code rewriting and things are going well, I'm happy I went this route. The new code fixes all the speed problems, and the fade in/fade out animation is now completely restored. Also I almost completely removed the artifacts that appeared in the screen transitions.

However, this comes at a cost - now I'm forced to tweak the palettes so the transitions aren't so abrupt. For example, the colors in Saltwater would look like this while the screen is moving:

So that's the downside, in certain points I won't be able to use bright colors as before. I've tried different formulas and I think this is the best way to go, but if you guys prefer brighter colors in exchange of some artifacts I'm open to changes.

By the way, I've finished the intro scene:

As you can see there is a SGB border, but it is just a mockup. I definitely want to insert a SGB border, but I wanted to know your opinion on this one first. If someone comes up with a better one maybe I'll use it.
I like the bright colors better personally, even at a little cost

toruzz

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 03, 2016, 11:58:48 am »
It's kinda funny that you would add a SGB border to a GBC only game. Or does it still have a GB mode? I understand why you would still include one as I've played Zelda DX on a emulator. You can have colors and SGB Border on at the same time.
It looks completely broken in GB mode, so yes, the SGB border is only meant to be used on emulators.

I like the bright colors better personally, even at a little cost
I'll try and make a comparison video so you can judge it better.

TRIFORCE89

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 03, 2016, 12:45:17 pm »
The difference in the saltwater didn't jump out to me in the screenshots above as much as the "greening" of some the grass. But, really, compared to the artifacting in screen transitions in some GB colorizations of the past - this is a very subtle tradeoff, and well-worth it.

Love the SGB border idea too. Wasn't expecting that at all.

toruzz

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 04, 2016, 09:05:14 pm »
A comparison video as promised: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHOj74CLeF4

Midna

• Resident Panel de Pon Nut
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 04, 2016, 09:13:03 pm »
Honestly I prefer the first one. The brighter colors are more visually pleasing (it's easier to distinguish the dirt from the grass for one thing), and the artifacting is subtle enough that you probably won't notice it unless you're actively looking for it.

John Enigma

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 05, 2016, 12:32:54 am »
^I agree. The graphics should be a bit more brighter. It should have that Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening DX color vibe.

Oh, and @toruzz, this hack should be compatible in any kind of emulator and flash cart. Just saying, because not a lot emulators run color hacks very well, particularly VisualBoy Advance and all of its versions.

Los colores deben ser más brillantes.