News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Can someone please help me with a SMB2 hacking problem?  (Read 2292 times)

Googie

• Keepin' ROM Hacking gangsta since 2003, baby!
    • View Profile
    • My work in progress ROM Hacking site
Can someone please help me with a SMB2 hacking problem?
« on: April 03, 2016, 05:26:14 pm »
This hack is almost ready for a release, I played through it up to world for and I got stuck in Fry Guy's battle, but when I warped to World 5 and went through World 7, everything went really smooth. Okay here's the problem...

When I battle Fry Guy, and beat him those little fry guys come out, right? Here's the kicker, sometimes only one, to two, to three fry guys come out, and when you kill them the door doesn't appear. This happened earlier tonight, four fry guys came out and when I beat them, that's when the door appeared.

And I've been playing over and over again, but the four fry guys don't come out. I don't know what the hell is going on. Here's a pic with the editor Super Mario Bros. 2 Trans...

I made sure that Fry Guy is the boss to pic that when you beat him, the door appears. Now here's what the level looks like in the hack...

If you beat Fry Guy against the wall, the little ones go up the wall and come down, between one through three. When all four came down once I thought it was fixed.

Now here's my edit of the Boss room...

As you can see the blocks under the spikes, that's where the door appeared when all four fry guys came out after I killed them, but it was never repeated, I went with using SMB2Trans since it has less bugs than the SMB2D.

Please help me fix this problem, this is the only one in this hack. This is a secret hack that I'm working on, it's not a secret anymore, I'll give more info through PM about the origins of this hack. ;)
I'll give the hack with the save state when you're about to fight Fry Guy if that'll help. I would really appreciate it.

And by the way, anybody that wants to beta test this hack, feel free to lemme know... :)

Trax

• RHDN Supporter
    • View Profile
    • Trax ROM Hacking
Re: Can someone please help me with a SMB2 hacking problem?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2016, 12:36:14 am »
My first thought is that there's a confusion on the available enemy/sprite slots and the game engine doesn't like it. Because of that, there's no guarantee that the 4 slots needed are empty when the Fry Guy must divide. From the screenshots, I presume you really are standing on spikes and you have to constantly catch hearts to not die. That's evil!

I suggest you remove the hearts generator (if it's what's really going on) and see if the 4 Mini Fry Guys do appear without fault...

Googie

• Keepin' ROM Hacking gangsta since 2003, baby!
    • View Profile
    • My work in progress ROM Hacking site
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2016, 05:34:00 pm »
Okay I compared the hack & the original, I put back the fireball that Fry Guy spits out & everything works like a charm, four little fry guys come out. Thanks for helping me out, Trax. I really do appreciate it! Here's the final edited of Fry Guy's room...

It's still more challenging than the original, I was gonna add a few spikes but decided not to put 'em in. I'll upload the hack in a little while, thanks again. :beer:

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2016, 10:17:16 pm »
There's actually a known bug with the "PRG0" version that was fixed in the "PRG1" version relating to Fry Guy's death.
https://tcrf.net/Super_Mario_Bros._2_(NES)#Revisional_Differences

Perhaps you should check which revision you are using?
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!