News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: SHOOT AND LOOT: BORDERLANDS THREAD  (Read 3491 times)

Bonesy

• Dog is God, God is Dog
    • View Profile
SHOOT AND LOOT: BORDERLANDS THREAD
« on: April 01, 2016, 09:42:47 pm »
Recently got Borderlands Triple Pack for PS3, played some Borderlands 2 with a skype friend and was reminded how broken Mechromancer is (and I was Siren!). Also played a bit of Pre-Sequel by myself as Holo-Jack and might play as the Duchess with the same friend I was playing 2 with.

Anybody else still play Borderlands?

SleepyFist

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
Re: SHOOT AND LOOT: BORDERLANDS THREAD
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2016, 10:43:08 pm »
Yeah getting back into it just this week, First time through I played about 75% of the game and DLC without realizing I could upgrade my inventory, then got distracted during the final bit of the game and went to play Demons souls instead :P, I also Bought Borderlands 2 standalone last week but immediately loaned it to a friend.

Disch

• NES Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2016, 10:43:21 am »
BL2 is pretty great.  Mechromancer is my favorite -- but yeah she is pretty broken.  Once you get that Anarchy up... she's pretty much unstoppable.  Especially with that perk that refills your shields after every kill.

I fucking HATED the pre-sequel.  Like... Borderlands was one of my favorite series... and the Pre-Sequel spoiled the whole thing for me, and now I'm not sure if I'll ever buy another one.

Bonesy

• Dog is God, God is Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2016, 04:44:59 am »
idk im really enjoying pre-sequel, doing a solo run as fragtrap and it's great

Disch

• NES Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2016, 08:07:03 pm »
For as much as I loved BL2, it had two significant problems:

1) It had too much story (did anyone really care about Angel?  Seriously)

2) It had too many "walk here now walk there" quests.  I mean... all the quests are basically "go here" quests... but usually you're shooting stuff while doing it.  BL2 had a number of times where you're walking back and forth through the town talking to people.  That's poison for any game.

What killed me about the Pre-Sequel is...

- They doubled down on both of those problems.  They added even more stupid story that nobody cares about, and even more obnoxious back-and-forth quests.

- wtf @ the oxygen mechanic.

- wtf @ the double-jump and ground pound.  I guess I can understand this idea... and it doesn't clash with the game as horribly as the oxygen does.... but it does drastically change the gameplay -- and not for the better.

- They added jump puzzles.  Fucking JUMP PUZZLES.  BL2 threw a jump puzzle in the Tiny Tina DLC -- but it was a joke and the in-game characters complained about it and they didn't make you actually do it.  So the devs knew it was a shitty idea.

- wtf happened with the humor?  The game went from being delightfully witty to annoyingly obnoxious.  At every point in the pre-sequel when someone was talking I found myself saying "just fucking shut up already"

Borderlands is at its best when it's wise-cracking and having you shoot bandits in the face.
It's at its worst when it's trying to be serious.

BL:PS is Borderlands at its absolute worst.

Bonesy

• Dog is God, God is Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2016, 04:23:45 pm »
to be fair, i have to wonder how many of those issues can be attributed to the fact the game got farmed out to 2K Oz or whatever

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2016, 05:32:37 pm »
Give me couch co-op and I will forgive an awful awful lot (it saw me enjoy hunted the demons forge). As Borderlands was also good you bet I enjoyed that, DLC made it even better.

I played BL2 some time later but not with any DLC (never saw mechromancer, let alone played it). Did not really appreciate the memes being cranked to 11 where the original was a tiny bit subtler (if you have ever played something they gave to a fan that did not want to see/address the flaws or a committee decided this worked, more more more then it felt a bit like that to me) but still enjoyed it a lot. Not finished it yet though (blew up a ship and did the boss after it).

I then played pre sequel on the xbone with a friend, it included all the DLC. Did not care for any of the character classes really and the sniper tree (I usually play as a sniper in anything I can) of the hammerlock lady I think it was the best of a bad bunch. It was a bit of a chore really, though I got perhaps 12 hours into it. No overwhelming desire to go further in it though. Not sure I can put my finger on what caused that, though I suspect Disch has most of it. That said I did enjoy the levels/setups I encountered there an awful lot more than 90% of BL2, guess the negatives were enough to drag it down. Humour was different but to me it seemed more Australian emulating American/Borderlands 2 which made it funnier to me as I read it as a send up of that more than anything else, though I am not sure that was what was supposed to happen. I am all about enjoyment however I see the means though so if I watch a bad thriller as a comedy then it is all good for me.

Bonesy

• Dog is God, God is Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2016, 10:03:39 am »
honestly i think mr torgue is just tsundere for lasers

SleepyFist

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2016, 06:27:46 pm »
Ouch, just remembered one of the main reasons I bailed the first time, Eyestrain YAY :o
Does anybody else have teeny near unreadable font or is that just me?

Lilinda

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2016, 08:36:16 pm »
BTW, if anyone thinks that Mechro is broken, the Psycho is capable of one shotting raid bosses with no equipment and with the badass stat bonuses shut off.

It is stupidly, stupidly broken.
Retired moderator/staff member as of July 14th 2016

Bonesy

• Dog is God, God is Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2016, 09:00:36 pm »
What sort of build would you need, though?

Lilinda

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2016, 09:51:25 pm »
I don't recall. I know you need both ultimate vault hunter packs for the extra skill points. There's a video on youtube and I believe it shows what skills are used before he goes and one shots the raid boss.
Retired moderator/staff member as of July 14th 2016

Bonesy

• Dog is God, God is Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2016, 12:05:05 am »
That's the nice thing about the Triple Pack. Every last bit of DLC lol

I rebuilt my Fragtrap and he's doing a lot better in terms of survivability.

Bahamut ZERO

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2016, 01:26:51 pm »
Damn, this thread makes me miss my PS3. Borderlands was one of my favorite games to play the shit out of (alongside Oblivion and Saints Row 2). I liked the first one moreso than the second, mostly due to having the DLC for 1 and having none of the DLC for 2, and partly for my dislike of 2's setting. Are there areas of the main game that aren't Ice themed?

Now that I have a PS4, I think I'm stuck with only being able to get ahold of B2 + Presequel. Maybe I'll luck out and one day be able to find a sort of Triple Pack for PS4 so I can relive the joys of hauling ass through the infested town areas of the Zombie Island of Dr.Ned.  :woot!:
Like Super Mario Land? Then you'll love my first completed Rom Hack: Maniac on the Run!