News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Ever notice weird things in a ROM?  (Read 6178 times)

Revenant

• View Profile
Re: Ever notice weird things in a ROM?
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2016, 06:51:32 pm »
[edit: misread post, whoops]

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2016, 07:26:22 pm »
There is a certain huge block of sound data in Pokemon Emerald somewhat towards the end of the ROM that many people tend to completely screw up with and put data inside, causing infamous errors like Seedot's cry being static.  The reason for this is that for some reason it's just a bunch of 00s, which one of the most popular (and consequently not worked on anymore) hacking tools will see as free space.  No one really knows why this exists as it does last I checked, but you have a whole batch of Emerald hacks with messed up sound until just recently. :D

Also there's a specific dump of FireRed that has an anti-piracy message in Vermilion's dock.  It's only there because the ripper put it in.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2016, 01:16:05 pm by Chronosplit »

Seihen

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2016, 07:29:48 pm »
In the GBA compilation collection of Ganbare Goemon 1 + 2, if you look through the file with a hex editor, you can see the full windows paths (C:\Users\...) where their compiler/toolchain was located. Must've been leftover garbage from the compiling process?

Rotwang

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2016, 10:25:30 pm »
It's a wiki. Go fix it.

make issues known on an article's talk page instead of just making an offhanded mention somewhere where there's no guarantee that anyone who cares will actually see it).

Sorry, I didn't realize that website was my responsibility.

I am compiling a big list of all the unused shit that's hidden in Final Fight that nobody seems to have caught yet, but I'm not releasing it until my hack is finished.

Isao Kronos

• Dogman
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2016, 10:31:58 pm »
wtf if you're going to complain about something on a website you can fix yourself to make more accurate

seriously?

Rotwang

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2016, 10:53:39 pm »
I'm not complaining, I was contributing to the conversation. GHANMI mentioned some aspects of the website he doesn't like so I threw in my 2 cents. If you're really that upset that I criticized a website you need to get some perspective.

nesrocks

• View Profile
    • nesrocks.com
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2016, 12:34:36 am »
Double Dragon 2 NES has some unused text that the site https://tcrf.net/Double_Dragon_II:_The_Revenge_(NES) fails to mention.

I'm adding it.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2016, 01:10:24 am by nesrocks »

MathUser2929

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2016, 11:14:54 am »
Glad you added it.

GHANMI

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2016, 01:19:12 pm »
I didn't realize that post of mine would cause this...
To the best of my knowledge, wasn't tcrf supposed to be exclusively about "cut content that's still in game images"?
Or whatever excuse their admins were using to reject all sorts of stuff from dev interviews about what could have been,
to even legit cut content that's "not as important" as barely relevant log files.

Not that there's anything "wrong" per se with this.
They manage their site and "Patreon researches" as they see fit.
Even their abrasive attitude towards newcomers contributing with content that does fit what they want there.
Even when some of the oddities and bugs that would get rejected but make it because one of the admins added it personally. (like comparing two completely different English localizations sentence by sentence and ruling the least "cool" variant as "translation mistake", without the original even being considered. That's where misinformation like FE Awakening being "censored in Europe" comes from (for not having references to boobs the US script alone made up))
It's their site.

But...
The stuff mentioned in this very topic (weird things in ROMs in general) is stuff they'd reject without any second thoughts, from what I saw there. To say tcrf is the go-to place for such content is a tad bit... inaccurate.

Also saying "it's a wiki that everyone can fix themselves" discounts the fact that:
a) not everyone may be found of the content vetting process there
b) if the wiki admins deem some subset of content not worthy of being there, you can't really "fix" that. And that's OK. People can blog about it or post elsewhere than tcrf about said hidden oddities - not every single thing needs to fit there. I have been enjoying reading some Japanese blogs about "botsu deta" and general game programming weirdness that would never fit the very narrow spectrum of "tcrf-worthy content".

nesrocks

• View Profile
    • nesrocks.com
« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2016, 07:19:22 pm »
I have just discovered based on a hunch that the text I thought to be unused was actually text that appears only depending on which of the lee brothers reach the final boss. There are 3 variations: both, only jimmy and only billy. Goes to show how newbies edit the wiki mercilesly without proper research.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 09:27:52 pm by nesrocks »

Bahamut ZERO

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2016, 02:52:53 pm »
Secret of the Stars has 2 lowercase fonts, only 1 of which I know are used. 

Made making a table file a bit of a pain in the ass (mostly since most of the punctuation marks are in the lowercase font) but still was fun to mess around with.
Like Super Mario Land? Then you'll love my first completed Rom Hack: Maniac on the Run!

Dr. Floppy

• Restricted Access
  • Make America GREAT Again!
    • View Profile
    • BaddestHacks.net
« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2016, 08:37:38 pm »
I found an extra item in SNES Mario Kart once.  :)

Kallisto

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 01, 2016, 08:12:35 pm »
Speaking as one of the site's admins, there's plenty of verification. But you can't really expect the relatively small staff to be able to verify every detail of the nearly 8,000 games currently represented on the site. This is the whole purpose of allowing other users to edit articles (or, at the very least, make issues known on an article's talk page instead of just making an offhanded mention somewhere where there's no guarantee that anyone who cares will actually see it).

Did you guys ever find out what was the unused area in Dragon Quest III - SNES? I'm very curious about that.

Mirby

• The Power's in the Pins
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2016, 05:00:06 am »
When I was extracting the music from Kirby Mass Attack I found a folder named "crap" that contained a single file: "crap.dat"

Kallisto

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 07, 2016, 07:50:28 am »
When I was extracting the music from Kirby Mass Attack I found a folder named "crap" that contained a single file: "crap.dat"

Sounds like someone at Nintendo was disgruntled lol.

goldenband

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 07, 2016, 01:50:22 pm »

The sequel to Funk Dat, presumably.