News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: [DMG] Hacking "Star-Trek Generations - Beyond the Nexus"  (Read 1877 times)

hackfleisch

• View Profile
[DMG] Hacking "Star-Trek Generations - Beyond the Nexus"
« on: March 25, 2016, 10:53:03 am »
Hello,

after getting so much help from this board in understanding the principles of ROM hacking and architecture of the Nintendo Gameboy (DMG) i would like to give something back. Therefore i start this project.

My goals are:
  • Learn a lot of console arch, game development and such...
  • Disassemble the whole game
  • Translate the gametext to German language
  • Change graphics inside game to some custom pictures
  • Looking for cheats inside the code
  • Generate patches for endless life/fire and such

Tools:
  • Gameboy-Emulator: http://bgb.bircd.org/ - In my optinion the BEST Gameboy-Emulator for Windows PC (runs even under Win 10)
  • Debugger: BGB also contains a powerfull debugger. It can modify code in-place, on-the-fly. Has memory and VRAM viewer and many more.
  • Compiler toolchain: -STILL LOOKING-
  • Tile-Editor: -STILL LOOKING-
  • Sound-Composer: -STILL LOOKING-

Step 1: Getting familar with the ROM
The cart-info tells it's card type "MBC1", no additional RAM, no battery and ROM-Size is 131.072 bytes.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2016, 01:18:31 pm by hackfleisch »

ObiKKa

• Tome of retro gaming knowledge!
    • View Profile
Re: [DMG] Hacking "Star-Trek Generations - Beyond the Nexus"
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2016, 01:39:59 pm »
Have done the research on the game. I have found that there's a separate Game Gear version of this game with full color graphics! According to Wikipedia the reception was that the GG version had better controls than the GB version. So I wonder why you'd choose this GB version to hack unless you don't know how to hack Sega's consoles? Or maybe their consoles are just not well-documented or don't have enough good debuggers for everything at this time.

hackfleisch

• View Profile
Re: [DMG] Hacking "Star-Trek Generations - Beyond the Nexus"
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2016, 02:21:31 pm »
This is a self-study project. I choose GB, because i thought it would be easier to understand an old gameconsole than an recent one (like PS-Vita or such). Another point was that i get in touch with Z80 in my early Computer and electronics experiences. So i am a little bit familar with it.