News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: SNES-CD / Playstation BIOS  (Read 17258 times)

Synnae

• View Profile
Re: SNES-CD / Playstation BIOS
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2016, 01:00:57 am »
Made a full gameplay of the game:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRbdVEp3smI

Panzer88

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • GENO means ♥♪!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2016, 01:02:40 pm »
cool, undoubtedly there will be more SuperDisc games in the future.
Donate now until 24 April, from the makers of shotwell Geary: a new open-source email client

Synnae

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2016, 08:20:37 pm »
cool, undoubtedly there will be more SuperDisc games in the future.

I'm actually not that sure. It'd certainly be nice, but I don't think more than maybe a handful of people would want to go through the trouble of coding/designing games from scratch for such an outdated system.

John Enigma

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2016, 10:47:28 pm »
Oh, I really hope they keep making more SuperDisc homebrew games.

FCandChill

• View Profile
###
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2016, 10:55:35 pm »
 Comment removed because reasons...
« Last Edit: August 05, 2016, 04:18:24 pm by FCandChill »

Bahamut ZERO

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2016, 03:02:59 pm »
They're the same thing as SNES homebrews except with the disc gimmick... It only takes a few minor alterations... It's basically a SNES game ... on a CD. That's it. But making SNES/SuperDisc hombews from scratch take work and time like any other homebrew.

Still pretty awesome for a proof-o'-concept kind of thing.  With enough messing around with it, I imagine you could pump out some cd-quality audio and other neat tricks (depending on what this prototype BIOS is capable of anyway).

Also gotta say that Super Boss Gaiden kicks large quantities of ass. Have yet to get by the buff security guard guy, but it's enjoyable as a mofo.
Like Super Mario Land? Then you'll love my first completed Rom Hack: Maniac on the Run!

Shiryu

• No Surrender, No Retreat.
    • View Profile
    • Shiryu Music
« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2016, 06:56:45 pm »
My review of "Super Boss Gaiden" is up at Nintendo Life. I think it's a world première too. :laugh:

John Enigma

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2016, 08:04:04 pm »
I can't believe I'm saying this, but here's hoping somebody (or some people) do a SNES CD homebrew version of this Final Fantasy VII NES hack. But I'm guessing nobody will do it because Square-Enix. That's why.

EDIT: I downloaded No$SNS, and I even downloaded the SuperDisc bios for SNES, and I still can't play the ISO version (or in this case, the .BIN version) of Super Boss Gaiden on the emulator. Can someone guide me, or give me some tips to play this game?

Midna

• Resident Panel de Pon Nut
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2016, 08:07:10 pm »
They didn't C&D the fan translation of the FFVII NES pirate, or the enhancement hack, but that's probably because it's a pirate game and who gives a shit

John Enigma

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2016, 09:56:11 pm »
^ But is it possible to remake-port the game?
« Last Edit: July 14, 2016, 10:10:46 pm by John Enigma »

Midna

• Resident Panel de Pon Nut
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2016, 10:12:21 pm »
Is it possible? It was possible to get like, 2/3 of Final Fantasy VII on an NES cartridge, so yes, it's certainly possible. I don't know if Squeenix would be OK with it though, since, as everyone knows, they go after non-profit fan projects too. Plus there's the official PS4 remake to consider.

John Enigma

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2016, 11:34:09 pm »
^Yes. But it would also be nice to see that remake in 16-bit (SNES graphics) form.

That being said, does anybody here know how to install/play the ISO (or BIN) version Super Boss Gaiden on the No$Sns emulator? Is the second I'm asking, and nobody has said something about this yet. I'm serious.

Pizzano

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 15, 2016, 03:03:24 pm »
My review of "Super Boss Gaiden" is up at Nintendo Life. I think it's a world première too. :laugh:

Thanks for the review. I had no idea it was only 15-20 minutes long. Works for me because I don't have that much free time anyways! Haha.

I have a quick question about Super Boss Gaiden. Are there any differences between the SNES and SNES-CD versions they released?

John Enigma

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 15, 2016, 05:21:07 pm »
Apparently I need the "sfx-100.bin" BIOS file to play the BIN/CUE version of Super Boss Gaiden.

Cybertronic

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 22, 2016, 02:52:11 am »
I can't wrap my head around why someone would want to program for hardware that never existed, just because they saw rumor of it in a magazine.

It is very real and did indeed exist. One known prototype survived destruction. The bios wouldn't have existed without the hardware in the first place. Think about it. Definitely not a rumor.

Ben Heck repaired it:
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2016/07/the-quest-to-get-a-unique-snes-cd-rom-prototype-working-again/

There are multiple news articles about it:
http://www.retrocollect.com/News/super-nintendo-playstation-snes-cd-prototype-finally-revealed.html

And it all started at reddit:
http://reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/3bwyj0/it_took_forever_but_i_finally_got_some_pics_of_my/

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 22, 2016, 12:15:26 pm »
I remember Ben Heck's analysis was that the CD drive might have been deliberately disabled for some reason, way back in the day.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018