News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: SNES-CD / Playstation BIOS  (Read 12400 times)

DragonArk

• View Profile
SNES-CD / Playstation BIOS
« on: March 23, 2016, 10:15:01 pm »
Hey guys,
The bios for the Snes-CD is going around the internet. The file name is apparently called 'SDBR_v0.95.sfc.'
Anyone got any ideas what would be possible to do with it?

http://www.retrocollect.com/News/unreleased-super-nintendo-cd-nintendo-playstation-boot-rom-discovered.html

zonk47

• View Profile
Re: SNES-CD / Playstation BIOS
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2016, 10:22:47 pm »
Nothing you couldn't do by just making an enhanced SNES/emulator, and with many times less the complication.
A good slave does not realize he is one; the best slave will not accept that he has become one.

DackR

• Mo~
    • View Profile
    • Hackaday.io Page
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2016, 10:38:57 pm »
Hey guys,
The bios for the Snes-CD is going around the internet. The file name is apparently called 'SDBR_v0.95.sfc.'
Anyone got any ideas what would be possible to do with it?

http://www.retrocollect.com/News/unreleased-super-nintendo-cd-nintendo-playstation-boot-rom-discovered.html
There is already an emulator that supports it-- including a basic example game using the emulated hardware. No$SNS here: http://problemkaputt.de/sns.htm

zonk47

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2016, 02:23:20 am »
I can't wrap my head around why someone would want to program for hardware that never existed, just because they saw rumor of it in a magazine.
A good slave does not realize he is one; the best slave will not accept that he has become one.

tvtoon

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2016, 09:05:52 pm »
The same could be applied to MSU-1 and, hey, people did a lot of stuff already... ;)
Not a matter of taste but people could argue that one of them (SNES-CD prototype) has been proven to not work.

Frankly, if I were to choose one I would go with PlayStation. :)

zonk47

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2016, 04:52:48 am »
The same could be applied to MSU-1 and, hey, people did a lot of stuff already... ;)
Not a matter of taste but people could argue that one of them (SNES-CD prototype) has been proven to not work.

Frankly, if I were to choose one I would go with PlayStation. :)

The SNES-CD -is- the Playstation, or its prototype at least.

tvtoon

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2016, 10:20:26 am »
Practically, that prototype was not even close to become the PlayStation, it is just some cased SNES with a broken CD-ROM. ;)

DragonArk

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2016, 09:59:05 pm »
Yes you guys are right, sorry I brought it up. Just thought it sounded interesting.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2016, 07:55:25 pm by DragonArk »

jink640

• From nuggets to dust.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2016, 10:16:57 pm »
Is there any way to look at the bios for the SNES-CD and compare it to the PS bios?

Gemini

• 時を越えよう、そして彼女の元に戻ろう
    • View Profile
    • Apple of Eden
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2016, 10:33:08 pm »
They look pretty much nothing alike. Different hardware et all, I'm not even sure if that unit holds any MIPS co-processor (official docs mention an R2000); that BIOS has just 65816 code to operate some new hardware registers.
I am the lord, you all know my name, now. I got it all: cash, money, and fame.

zonk47

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2016, 08:24:29 pm »
Is there any way to look at the bios for the SNES-CD and compare it to the PS bios?

It probably resembles the Turbo-Duo BIOS. Like the Turbo Duo and Sega CD, the SNES-CD loads tracks to RAM 2KB at a time. Major hassle... that's why CD file systems were invented.

Revenant

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2016, 02:11:24 am »
It probably resembles the Turbo-Duo BIOS. Like the Turbo Duo and Sega CD, the SNES-CD loads tracks to RAM 2KB at a time. Major hassle... that's why CD file systems were invented.

Where do you get 2kb from? According to fullsnes, the BIOS can read up to 32kb from disc in a single transfer (which is also the maximum size of a single file on the SNES CD cartridge's SRAM).

(Bear in mind that there's nothing requiring the BIOS to only be able to transfer a single disc sector into RAM at a time.)
« Last Edit: March 30, 2016, 02:16:30 am by Revenant »

John Enigma

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2016, 12:02:54 pm »
I can't wrap my head around why someone would want to program for hardware that never existed...
Well, apparently a group already developed a game that works using the SNES PlayStation CD BIOS.

(News source here.)

Shiryu

• No Surrender, No Retreat.
    • View Profile
    • Shiryu Music
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2016, 12:19:35 pm »
I came here to announce "Super Boss Gaiden" but John Enigma beat me to it (it was me who wrote the article for Nintendo Life).
Share it and help spread the game, I'm sure it will be added on the next homebrew update to the website. Download both regular SFC ROM and CD image from here.

Gemini

• 時を越えよう、そして彼女の元に戻ろう
    • View Profile
    • Apple of Eden
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2016, 01:44:46 pm »
So somebody took hardware specs and made a prototype PS game?
I am the lord, you all know my name, now. I got it all: cash, money, and fame.

Pizzano

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2016, 02:28:02 pm »
I came here to announce "Super Boss Gaiden" but John Enigma beat me to it (it was me who wrote the article for Nintendo Life).

I was interested in learning a bit more about the game before I downloaded it.

Information about this game is a little hard to find, so I thought I would post a link to Shiryu's article in case anyone else was interested.

ArkthePieKing

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2016, 02:43:51 pm »
Holy crap this looks amazing! I've definitely got something new to tinker with tonight. :D

Skeud

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2016, 04:23:23 pm »
So somebody took hardware specs and made a prototype PS game?
Nocash reversed the hardware using the bios rom and created the first Snes-CD homebrew a few months ago.

John Enigma

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2016, 04:30:42 pm »
Share it and help spread the game, I'm sure it will be added on the next homebrew update to the website. Download both regular SFC ROM and CD image from here.

What I'm really interested is how you, or they, managed to make a homebrew game using the SNES CD prototype BIOS.

Seriously. I heard of working prototype games (Mother/EarthBound Beginnings cart, Star Fox 2 Japanese cart, etc.), but making a homebrew game for a cancelled, prototype hardware add-on (SNES CD)? Incredible. :o

Also, I really wanna know what emulator would be useful for to play the ISO version of this game. I'm guessing Snes9X, and ZSNES won't work.

I already know where to get the 0.95 version of the BIOS file, but I'm not allowed to post it here. Unless someone asked me via PM.

July 11, 2016, 06:54:28 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Sorry for the double post, but apparently Ben Heck is going to "tear down" the SNES Play Station apart to see how it works.

Here's the trailer: https://youtu.be/vu1309tWGCc

Hopefully he writes a documentation on what's inside and how it works.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 06:54:28 pm by John Enigma »

FCandChill

• View Profile
###
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2016, 06:59:56 pm »
 Comment removed because reasons...
« Last Edit: August 05, 2016, 04:09:54 pm by FCandChill »