News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: What is the definitive version of Star Fox 2?  (Read 3041 times)

lyjal

• View Profile
What is the definitive version of Star Fox 2?
« on: March 20, 2016, 05:16:39 pm »
I see there are many versions of Star Fox 2 floating around on the web, but what is the definitive version? From what I've read, it looks like some may be glitchier than others, some are more complete, some are only in Japanese (but may be translated?), there is a rumored actual complete game....I just don't know.

I know you cannot share a link or download here to an illegal item, but for education purposes...what is considered the best version for an English speaker to play? Obviously, since this is a RH forum, this could include a modded/translated version of another game.

Thanks!

Disch

• NES Junkie
    • View Profile
Re: What is the definitive version of Star Fox 2?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2016, 06:31:12 pm »
The Aeon Genesis translation not only translated the game but made it look/behave like an actual finished game, so that would be my "definitive" version.

The patch is available here:

http://agtp.romhack.net/project.php?id=starfox2

The included doc gives patching instructions about which source ROM to use:

There are five or six different roms floating around. This will
work on the "best" rom, which isn't in goodsnes, and the two roms
that goodsnes lists as "Beta TD" and "J o1". Neither should have a
header -- if the you patch the game and it crashes (and it didn't
crash unpatched), use SNESTool or something similar to remove the
header.

I'm not going to give quick rom info or correct sizes for this
release because of size discrepancies between multiple versions of
the game. Bah.

TheUnderfaker

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2016, 12:31:46 am »
Wasn't there a version with a 3D arena Vs mode or something? I remember something like that.

badinsults

• View Profile
    • Snes Central
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2016, 10:28:48 pm »
Wasn't there a version with a 3D arena Vs mode or something? I remember something like that.

There was a 2 player mode in the alpha version that was leaked back in 2000. However, it isn't really that playable.

The definitive version of the game would be the bug-tested version that exists in Nintendo's vaults. Alas, the person who leaked the game did not have that version. The best we can do is the Aeon Genesis translated version.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2016, 01:48:27 am »
We sadly won't see that version unless Nintendo, bizarrely, uses it to push new hardware sales as can be argued they've tried to with EarthBound and EBB (aka EB0) being limited to Wii U and the former being restricted to New 3DSes.
(though as to whether Nintendo has a legitimate case for restricting SNES VC to New 3DSes, I'm not sure. I have heard about homebrew SNES emulators for all 3DS but I hear they're pretty slow and buggy so I don't know.
But EBB not being on 3DS? Is there any good reason for that?)
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

lyjal

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2016, 01:51:05 am »
Thanks! I'll see if I can get this ROM and mod it!

Lilinda

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2016, 10:15:23 am »
We sadly won't see that version unless Nintendo, bizarrely, uses it to push new hardware sales as can be argued they've tried to with EarthBound and EBB (aka EB0) being limited to Wii U and the former being restricted to New 3DSes.
(though as to whether Nintendo has a legitimate case for restricting SNES VC to New 3DSes, I'm not sure. I have heard about homebrew SNES emulators for all 3DS but I hear they're pretty slow and buggy so I don't know.

I read a post from a developer of one of the 3DS homebrew SNES emulators, and he basically said the only way they got it to work was hacks so massive that a lot of games could never work, up to and including jury rigging the GPU to do stuff on the game. Nintendo, on the other hand, is basically doing software emulation on the N3DS, thanks to its much, much higher clocked CPU.
Retired moderator/staff member as of July 14th 2016

Bahamut ZERO

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2016, 02:02:24 pm »

They limited EBB to Wii U only, and EB to 3DS only?  Glad I hacked my Wii then, cuz I'd be damned if I'm dishing out the hundreds of dollars for a 3DS and Wii U just to play two games that should've been available to any Nintendo console with VC.
Like Super Mario Land? Then you'll love my first completed Rom Hack: Maniac on the Run!

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2016, 03:40:07 pm »
EBB is only available on Wii U, EB is only available on Wii U and New 3DS.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018