News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Phantasy Star II Mega Drive Translation  (Read 2835 times)

jkgarrett17

• View Profile
Phantasy Star II Mega Drive Translation
« on: March 17, 2016, 02:15:11 pm »
I recently purchased an original JP copy of Phantasy Star II for the Mega Drive, thinking that the English translation patch listed here on http://www.romhacking.net/translations/72/ would translate the Japanese to English. Upon using the patch, I received a blank, colored screen. A little more research later, and I find the English translation patch here is not for the Japanese game, but rather for the NA/EU English game into a better English translation.

The readme text for this translation patch mentions an independantly translated script of Phantasy Star II by Dennis Zickefoose and Richard Hirata. I am hopeful that they or someone else has already incorporated this independently translated script into a translation patch for the JP rom.

Anyone know where I might be able to find such a thing? If one currently does not exist, anyone know how I might go about requesting this be made? I am very new to this site and know (almost) nothing, so any advice on this topic would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
« Last Edit: March 17, 2016, 03:58:08 pm by jkgarrett17 »

mz

• Whore
    • View Profile
Re: Phantasy Star II Mega Drive Translation
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2016, 02:31:10 pm »
The first thing you should say is WHY would you like something like this, so other people can know if it's worth the huge amount of work that it would need to be done.

EDIT: I imagine that you want it so you can use your physical copy on a RetroN 5 or any other similar device with emulators in it. In that case, just do this:

1. Use the patch on an American copy.
2. Create a new patch using the ROM you just patched as the target and the Japanese version as the source.

You can also use this method to create a patch to play any other game, or translation or hack, you want with the same Japanese PSII you own.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2016, 02:47:12 pm by mz »
There has to be a better life.

jkgarrett17

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2016, 04:45:53 pm »
The first thing you should say is WHY would you like something like this, so other people can know if it's worth the huge amount of work that it would need to be done.

EDIT: I imagine that you want it so you can use your physical copy on a RetroN 5 or any other similar device with emulators in it.

That's correct. I am wanting to use the JP game on the RetroN 5 because it has slightly different content. I assumed since a script was available that someone had first worked directly from the JP rather than from the American version, but perhaps not.

In that case, just do this:

1. Use the patch on an American copy.
2. Create a new patch using the ROM you just patched as the target and the Japanese version as the source.

My noobiness is showing. Can you break that down any for me? Or provide a link to someone that already has?

My level of knowledge on how to do those two steps stops slightly before step one, after obtaining a copy of the American game. I know how to put a patch on an SD card and apply it with the RetroN 5 (Step 5 below), but that is about the extent of my knowledge.

It seems to me, I need to:

(S1) Either obtain an NA ROM or rip it myself from the physical NA game onto my PC.
(S2) Apply the NA translation patch to (S1) on my PC.
(S3) Rip the JP ROM from the physical game onto my PC.
(S4) Create a new patch using (S3) as the Source and (S2) as the Target on my PC.
(S5) Put (S4) on an SD card to be applied to the JP game by the RetroN 5.

If the above all look correct, please confirm. If not, please correct. And if possible, provide links or information as to how to do steps 1-4, assuming this is not something someone has already done or is something someone else can easily do.

Thanks,

mz

• Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2016, 07:14:29 pm »
Ingredients:
1 American ROM
1 Japanese ROM
1 IPS utility, for example: http://www.romhacking.net/utilities/240/

Procedure:
1. Apply IPS patch to USA ROM.
2. Create IPS patch. (In Lunar IPS, first select the Japanese ROM and then the ROM* you created in step 1.)
3. Copy the new IPS patch you created in step 2 to your SD card.

* In this step, if you select ANY OTHER ROM OF ANY GAME, HACK OR TRANSLATION EVER RELEASED OR TO BE RELEASED, you can create an IPS patch that will allow you to play that game, hack or translation with your same PSII cartridge. No need to keep buying more Japanese carts to play weird translations or anything.
There has to be a better life.

tryphon

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2016, 07:41:29 pm »
That's correct. I am wanting to use the JP game on the RetroN 5 because it has slightly different content.

Which one ? The only difference I know is that drums are louder (too much) on the Japanese version.

Also, the procedure given by mz will transform your japanese ROM in an exact copy of the AMERICAN patched ROM, so any exclusive japanese content will be lost in the process, like tears in the rain (I watched Blade Runner for the 17th time recently).

jkgarrett17

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2016, 09:46:48 pm »
*In this step, if you select ANY OTHER ROM OF ANY GAME, HACK OR TRANSLATION EVER RELEASED OR TO BE RELEASED, you can create an IPS patch that will allow you to play that game, hack or translation with your same PSII cartridge.

Thanks. Followed your steps, and it worked. Now able to play my JP cartridge with the translation. I'll upload the new patch to the site in case anyone else has a similar issue.

March 21, 2016, 09:50:14 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Which one ? The only difference I know is that drums are louder (too much) on the Japanese version.

I don't remember. It's been a little while, and I read a lot that day. The English patch to the NA game on this site added the missing elements, so they would also be included in my new patch.

Also, the procedure given by mz will transform your japanese ROM in an exact copy of the AMERICAN patched ROM, so any exclusive japanese content will be lost in the process, like tears in the rain (I watched Blade Runner for the 17th time recently).

The English patch to the NA game on this site already added the missing elements, so they should also be included in the JP patch.