News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Super Mario Kart Hacking  (Read 2887 times)

Keretto

• View Profile
Super Mario Kart Hacking
« on: March 10, 2016, 03:55:33 pm »
Hello guys! I only joined this awesome community today! I really want to change a lot of the stuff in SMK and make a brand new game (yea right) I started changing every 8 bytes to zeros but didn't go far at all (2nd line :D) but I will keep going. I wanted to know how I can access music and textures and text. I also hear this thing called Lunar Compress but I don't really know how to use it but I know that it makes the rom size smaller by compressing it and maybe I need to decompress it to access more files? Any tools I can use or where data is located in hex? I am clueless... please help! :D

dougeff

• View Profile
Re: Super Mario Kart Hacking
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2016, 05:57:25 pm »
I don't think a 'data corruption' method is going to be too fruitfull. The ROM is like a million bytes long. Even if you managed to test 1000 bytes a day, it would take you 1000 days to test them all.

Lucky for you, there are several people here who've worked on SMK hacks. I'm not one of them.

Here's what I suggest you do. Do a lot of designing. Show us some really cool artwork / mock-ups of your grand vision. If it's good enough, I bet someone here will help you out. If all else fails, put a help-wanted ad up.

BTW, finding music data is going to be the easiest part. The SNES has a separate processor with a separate RAM to handle music. Search for 'SPC dump'. Also, Nintendo essentially used the same music engine for all their SNES games, and people have written tools for generating new music. I'm not an expert. I'll let someone else answer specifics on that.

nesdoug.com -- blog/tutorial on programming for the NES

RyanfaeScotland

• View Profile
    • My Brill Game Site
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2016, 06:01:21 pm »
If you check out the utilities section there is a few tools there for course edits - http://www.romhacking.net/?page=utilities&category=&platform=&game=755&author=&os=&level=&perpage=20&title=&desc=&utilsearch=Go

Rotwang

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2016, 08:36:22 pm »
If Dr. Floppy hadn't been banned from this site for political reasons he could have probably been helpful here. Who's really "increasing interest in ROM hacking" now?

Keretto

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2016, 09:45:57 am »
Thanks a lot guys! Anyone else know any other tools or tutorials?  :beer:

Bahamut ZERO

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2016, 03:30:01 pm »
If Dr. Floppy hadn't been banned from this site for political reasons he could have probably been helpful here. Who's really "increasing interest in ROM hacking" now?

That's why he hasn't been around here? Wtf, that's the most retarded thing for someone to be banned over!

BUT, he's pretty active on BHDN (Baddesthacks.net) so Keretto you might be able to get in touch with him there.
Like Super Mario Land? Then you'll love my first completed Rom Hack: Maniac on the Run!

dougeff

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2016, 05:43:01 pm »
That would explain why he didn't respond to my PM.

Or not. Who knows.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2016, 05:52:05 pm by dougeff »

Keretto

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2016, 03:57:33 am »
I heard that I need to learn a version of Assembly and that's a pain in the ass. Any suggestions on where I can learn or any alternatives?

dougeff

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2016, 09:43:20 am »
I always recommend this document...
http://wiki.nesdev.com/w/images/7/76/Programmanual.pdf

Reading this thing is going to be like being kicked in the nuts repeatedly, but it will explain every opcode. If it's confusing...read it twice.

And there is this page, which I think could be be better, but it's got the most detailed explanation of every hardware register
http://wiki.superfamicom.org/snes/show/HomePage

Rotwang

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2016, 03:18:58 pm »
I heard that I need to learn a version of Assembly and that's a pain in the ass. Any suggestions on where I can learn or any alternatives?

Sorry to say, but I'm not really sure what you expected.  For what it's worth, for all that people go on about how difficult it is, it really isn't that bad.

I always recommend this document...
http://wiki.nesdev.com/w/images/7/76/Programmanual.pdf

Reading this thing is going to be like being kicked in the nuts repeatedly, but it will explain every opcode. If it's confusing...read it twice

This is a good document, but if you're a beginner, just start with the first 2 chapters so that you understand how the processor works and use the rest of the book as a reference when you start getting your hands dirty.

SpRoUt

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2016, 10:52:36 pm »
is it possible to alter items? Could 3 shells float around you like in N64? Is it possible to make a big drag race track? I wish you the best of luck.