News:

11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Main Menu

List of untranslated Famicom games

Started by Spinner 8, March 01, 2016, 01:24:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spinner 8

I mentioned in the other thread that I was working on a comprehensive list of all Japanese games and their availability in English. At first I was like "god, are they ever going to stop translating NES games, MOVE ON, people" but now I'm looking at it and I'm like "YAAAAAAY only 318 left to go!!!!!!!"

This was time-consuming, but a lot of fun. I might work on a list for SNES next (or Playstation, as someone suggested, but testing all the games seems really difficult).

I'm sure I got a lot of stuff wrong, so I'm counting on all of you to correct me. :)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1tvtZ5O9Uwd51GVdnMgEan-V1xBQcYj1XzTJ5tbpUl-w/

cccmar

OK, first things first: great job, I imagine it must've taken quite some time to come up with such a comprehensive list!  :thumbsup: Good thing is, most of the good games have already been translated. 8)

Momotarou Densetsu is listed twice (10/26/1987), probably a copy/paste issue of some sort or maybe it's just me - I can't recall any MD Board Game from 1987. :) Should I find something else to point out I'll just edit this post, but for now it seems that everything else is fine...

Spinner 8

Quote from: cccmar on March 01, 2016, 03:25:05 AM
Momotarou Densetsu is listed twice (10/26/1987), probably a copy/paste issue of some sort or maybe it's just me - I can't recall any MD Board Game from 1987. :)

Fixed, thanks! :) The second game is Momotarou Dentetsu, the weird board game about trains that sprung from the RPG series. I had the wrong release date for it.

Zynk

It would really help if some people can provide some translated game scripts.

KingMike

Bio Miracle Upa: Not sure if you want to get technical, but I believe the Wii VC release used the FDS version.
I think the Dragon Wars prototype has crashing issues. Though I think the game was a port of a western computer game (Apple II? Mac?).
Fire Emblem - Ankoku Ryuu to Hikari no Tsurugi: DS remake officially translated ("Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon") Didn't Smash Bros. also give the FC version an official English title at least (I forget right now what they called it)?
I don't know what exactly "Namco Prism Zone" (other that some random screen in the game) is but I don't think it's part of the title to Dream Master.
I'm guessing the two latter Nantettate!! Baseball games are expansion carts for the former. I bought NB simply because it was a weird-looking FC cart. :D (It's a U shape with an expansion slot in the back).
I'm not sure RPG Jinsei Game is an RPG. I think it's probably closer to board game (Jinsei Game is what they call the Milton Bradley board game "The Game of Life" and Japan has like a thousand video game versions though I think I've only seen one western version, for PC)
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Spinner 8

Quote from: KingMike on March 02, 2016, 11:48:34 AM
Bio Miracle Upa: Not sure if you want to get technical, but I believe the Wii VC release used the FDS version.
I think the Dragon Wars prototype has crashing issues. Though I think the game was a port of a western computer game (Apple II? Mac?).
Fire Emblem - Ankoku Ryuu to Hikari no Tsurugi: DS remake officially translated ("Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon") Didn't Smash Bros. also give the FC version an official English title at least (I forget right now what they called it)?
I don't know what exactly "Namco Prism Zone" (other that some random screen in the game) is but I don't think it's part of the title to Dream Master.
I'm guessing the two latter Nantettate!! Baseball games are expansion carts for the former. I bought NB simply because it was a weird-looking FC cart. :D (It's a U shape with an expansion slot in the back).
I'm not sure RPG Jinsei Game is an RPG. I think it's probably closer to board game (Jinsei Game is what they call the Milton Bradley board game "The Game of Life" and Japan has like a thousand video game versions though I think I've only seen one western version, for PC)

Thanks for your input! I really put it all together by hand, so I'm sure there are these and many more mistakes. :D

Upa: Ehhh, not a big deal. I suppose it's worth clarifying, at least. :)

Dragon Wars: You're right... I didn't investigate the game any further once I saw that a prototype existed, but... according to the Lost Levels thread, it's not really worth playing. The game seems to have been released on most computer systems, though.

Fire Emblem: I forgot all about that! SSBB calls it "Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon and the Blade of Light". I'll make a note of it, but like FF3, I think too much changed in the remake to really consider it "officially" released.

Dream Master: All the names are from the No-Intro database. "Namco Prism Zone" is on the game box, and No-Intro put it in the filename because... that's what No-Intro does. :)

Nantettate!: Right, they're just expansion carts, but, I dunno. Somebody might want to translate them??? I might take them off of the list, though.

RPG Jinsei Game: From what I can tell, it's pretty RPG-y. You walk around and talk to people and have "random encounters" in the form of life decisions. :D In any case, it's definitely more RPG than board game.

mrrichard999

Hey Spinner if you get a chance can you fill in the missing ROM/ISO info for these games? I got most of them but there are still a few left here.

http://www.romhacking.net/?page=translations&norominfo=1&perpage=20&order=Released%20By&startpage=14

Clippit

Personally, I always wanted to see what's in Street Fighter 2010 and Abarenbou Tengu (Zombie Nation) scripts due to the heavy localization they've received. I'd also like to see Daiku No Gen-San 2 translated, since its prequel had an european release. (even tho the game is vastly inferior to the original one)

Well, there's Saiyuuki World too, but... there's been an unfinished release of it recently.
"I swear my victory to this feather!"

cccmar

I'd say that Hokuto no Ken 3 and 4 should be classified as RPGs, not brawlers (although you could probably chalk them up as both if you really wanted to, but at their core they're RPGs).  Also, I'd classify Jumpin' Kid as a platformer instead of an action platformer, but that's just me. :) Also, Digital Devil Story: Megami Tensei II was released in 1990, not 1991 apparently. :)

Spinner 8

Quote from: cccmar on March 09, 2016, 04:19:12 AM
I'd say that Hokuto no Ken 3 and 4 should be classified as RPGs, not brawlers (although you could probably chalk them up as both if you really wanted to, but at their core they're RPGs).  Also, I'd classify Jumpin' Kid as a platformer instead of an action platformer, but that's just me. :) Also, Digital Devil Story: Megami Tensei II was released in 1990, not 1991 apparently. :)

Thanks, I've corrected each. :) Let me know if you find anything else.

90s Retro Gamer

Quote from: Spinner 8 on March 01, 2016, 01:24:35 AM
I mentioned in the other thread that I was working on a comprehensive list of all Japanese games and their availability in English. At first I was like "god, are they ever going to stop translating NES games, MOVE ON, people" but now I'm looking at it and I'm like "YAAAAAAY only 318 left to go!!!!!!!"

This was time-consuming, but a lot of fun. I might work on a list for SNES next (or Playstation, as someone suggested, but testing all the games seems really difficult).

I'm sure I got a lot of stuff wrong, so I'm counting on all of you to correct me. :)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1tvtZ5O9Uwd51GVdnMgEan-V1xBQcYj1XzTJ5tbpUl-w/

What was your methodology in making this list? I found an SFC game list.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Super_Famicom_games

The problem though is that it also includes games that were also released in the United States.

Spinner 8

Quote from: 90s Retro Gamer on March 20, 2016, 03:34:59 PM
What was your methodology in making this list? I found an SFC game list.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Super_Famicom_games

The problem though is that it also includes games that were also released in the United States.

I'm going off the parent/clone lists on the No-Intro DAT-o-matic. http://datomatic.no-intro.org/ I've also got lists for SFC and MD in progress.

Spinner 8

I made a similar list, but for Mega Drive games. SFC is a lot more work, but is on its way. :)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1wdIvWfaiuq-NCO1taA1kkPk-o6-XkMNOOkG9bEDp9HI/

KingMike

Super Fantasy Zone was physically only released in Japan and Europe, but was released internationally on Wii Virtual Console.
And Japanese Marble Madness (by Tengen) is a different port than the EA version released in the west.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Spinner 8

Quote from: KingMike on March 30, 2016, 10:30:29 PM
Super Fantasy Zone was physically only released in Japan and Europe, but was released internationally on Wii Virtual Console.

Eh, as long as it was released in Europe then it's fine. People can play it on emulators anyways, which is mostly the point here.

QuoteAnd Japanese Marble Madness (by Tengen) is a different port than the EA version released in the west.

You're right, I'll make a note of it. They're listed as the same game in the No-Intro database, despite a nine-month-old comment stating otherwise. :)

Thanks again for going over this. :D

cccmar

Quote from: Spinner 8 on March 30, 2016, 09:23:51 PM
I made a similar list, but for Mega Drive games. SFC is a lot more work, but is on its way. :)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1wdIvWfaiuq-NCO1taA1kkPk-o6-XkMNOOkG9bEDp9HI/

I may be wrong here, since I haven't played Mamono Hunter Yohko for ages, but I don't remember there being any Japanese text in that game, only 'cutscenes/still images' of sorts without any dialogue whatsoever. :)

Spinner 8

Quote from: cccmar on March 31, 2016, 06:48:51 AM
I may be wrong here, since I haven't played Mamono Hunter Yohko for ages, but I don't remember there being any Japanese text in that game, only 'cutscenes/still images' of sorts without any dialogue whatsoever. :)

Thanks for the feedback. :) I'm counting the title screen as "Japanese text" for that one. It's silly, but title screen-only translations have been done before.

Spinner 8

Hey, check out this old thread.

Over the weekend I made yet another list, this time for Super Famicom games.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1uxTKOfPrJU4jzIuAXRAIN5eyToFZTjVpV9nhD70Z398/edit

As with the others, I was pretty strict on what's considered "Japanese text"... A few games only had Japanese in the title screen, or in one case, a single sign in the background. If nothing else, it'll get another translation made and pad someone's profile here on RHDN. :)

And as always, suggestions and corrections are welcome - I'm sure I got a lot of things wrong here.

FCandChill

###
 Comment removed because reasons...

Spinner 8

Quote from: FCandChill on July 11, 2016, 07:06:24 PM
A list exists on RHDN's wiki for translation requests which sort of parallels to this thread... Consider expanding upon it:
http://datacrystal.romhacking.net/wiki/Translations_Request_List#Nintendo_Entertainment_System_.2F_Famicom_.2F_Famicom_Disk_System

Nah.

EDIT: The two lists really serve separate purposes - the one you linked has a lot of games that are already in English (however butchered the localization might have been, or however major the changes were in the console port). It's also not comprehensive, and serves more as a wish list (admittedly, an extremely large wish list).

More importantly, the control freak in me shakes his head in horror at the thought of someone else editing my stuff. :)

Some links to the spreadsheets on that page would be a good idea, though. I'll leave that to someone else, since I really struggle with making wiki pages look nice. :D Anyone has my permission to do so, for what it's worth.