News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: How to increase interest in hacking?  (Read 36543 times)

Grimoire LD

• View Profile
Re: How to increase interest in hacking?
« Reply #60 on: February 29, 2016, 11:27:33 am »
I'm siding with Floppy on this. His answers seem reasonable and worth considering. Although we are unlikely to go further than such speculation on a discussion forum like this.

On the other hand, "defending" females in general by picking out some specific nicknames seems tasteless to me. I doubt a typical person wants to be associated with a topic like this. It isn't a discussion about the existence of a gender anyway.

Dr. Floppy's five points are a sexist rant disguised as reason. They are strawman arguments used from less than reputable sources.

I was showing where those concepts were wrong and if I would have just said "well there's a bunch of women in the other communities I've been in" would not have been credible at all. By using specific handles of prominent women in their respective communities (why would they mind being called prominent women?) it lends legitimacy to a viewpoint instead of just going on about pseudo-science and the like. I'm an empirical person and prefer such as evidence against established norms.

EDIT: I would say that since women are 50% of the population that they should be encouraged to participate instead of, as DarkSol (who I swear had a different name until very recently) points out driving away potential female hackers with a sexist attitude.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2016, 11:45:37 am by Grimoire LD »

RyanfaeScotland

• View Profile
    • My Brill Game Site
« Reply #61 on: February 29, 2016, 11:46:01 am »
Clicked the wrong button when navigating off the site and accidently added this topic to my amazon wishlist.

Inadvertently solved the issue of increasing ROM hacking's popularity at the same time.

Pic very much related.

CM30

• View Profile
    • Gaming Reinvented (in beta testing)
« Reply #62 on: February 29, 2016, 12:15:01 pm »
Clicked the wrong button when navigating off the site and accidently added this topic to my amazon wishlist.

Inadvertently solved the issue of increasing ROM hacking's popularity at the same time.

Pic very much related.

How the hell would that work?
Like Wario?  If so, check out Wario Forums today!

Similarly, want to test a new gaming site?  Check out Gaming Reinvented! Now in beta!

dougeff

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 29, 2016, 12:36:13 pm »
Lol (re:Amazon)

Re:
live disassembly watching the same code repeat over and over as the x-register counts down from 100 and wished to myself that there was a button I could click to run until the next time X changes?

The only way I've figured out is to set a breakpoint for the line after the dex/bne.

But, yeah, super annoying. I've tried to step through SNES code many times and you constantly run into this problem.
nesdoug.com -- blog/tutorial on programming for the NES

RyanfaeScotland

• View Profile
    • My Brill Game Site
« Reply #64 on: February 29, 2016, 12:40:09 pm »
How the hell would that work?

Is it not clear from the image that I am suggesting the answer to how to increase interest in hacking is females or do you not get the implied link?

I was posting it as a joke, that you can increase popularity in most things simply by having women involved as men will naturally follow however here is a link to an article that backs this claim in a more serious fashion http://www.theguardian.com/small-business-network/2015/jul/21/win-over-women-men-follow-marketing

BlackDog61

• View Profile
    • Super Robot Wars A Portable translation thread
« Reply #65 on: February 29, 2016, 02:44:37 pm »
I've made command line tools for the most part for Super Robot Wars A Portable, not because I can't do GUI, but because a GUI costs a ton more time. It would be great to have an efficient GUI framework available. I haven't found any.
Having said that, I'm currently coding a GUI to edit the story of that game, just to ease translators's lives. (I recognize that translators have more work on that game than programmers - probably 2.5 times as much. But the next person to call me non-altruistic gets a wall. ;D Seriously, after spending 2 years on a game, you don't really want to play it anymore. The joy and fun is in being with the team and doing stuff you've never done before.)
I'm wondering if this could be something to share - I mean, designing a story editor in a generic way, is it feasible or useful?
'cause I'm more about better sharing our resources. :)
The bottleneck on Japanese-to-English translations is still the availability of translators.

NERV Agent

• Restricted Access
  • Eva Unit 01
    • View Profile
    • Watch my anime shitposts on YouTube! Smell them, too!
« Reply #66 on: February 29, 2016, 07:48:22 pm »

Pic very much related.

I take it Mr. Quark is gonna sell females at discount prices to ROM hackers? That would increase interest in ROM hacking!

Let's just hope Constable Odo doesn't find out!

goldenband

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 29, 2016, 11:52:25 pm »
I withheld comment on this before, but the fact is the activity of this community is mostly not altruistic. Or more to the point, only people who speak the original language of the work can truly be said to acting in altruism, as they alone receive no tangible benefit from the activity.

Oh, God, it's the old "there's no such thing as altruism because anything we do is somehow self-serving" argument. I was tired of that one 25 years ago.

dACE

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 01, 2016, 04:41:53 am »
If people only post opinions and no actual hacks/documents (like the OP) - then the interest in romhacking is destined to decline...

The best you can do - to support interest - is to make and share great hacks!

/dACE

John Enigma

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 01, 2016, 06:54:25 am »
^ That, and tools that no longer require command prompts.

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 01, 2016, 07:27:21 am »
What is a suitable alternative to command line tools then? Short of creating an Star Trek/Iron Man style computer do this weak AI I do not think I have one.
There are some terribly clunky command line interfaces out there but there are also just as many, if not more, clunky GUIs. All that is down to the programmers of them.

dougeff

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 01, 2016, 09:27:49 am »
I can make a gui that's a blank screen with one button, that says push this button to make it do whatever the command line version was going to do. Would that help? (Not being sarcastic)

And maybe a box to enter the filename? Since my 'tools' essentially take one argument... the filename. And do one thing to it.

I would rather have them command line... then I can write the source in Python...which is a lot easier to write than C#.

« Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 09:34:01 am by dougeff »

RyanfaeScotland

• View Profile
    • My Brill Game Site
« Reply #72 on: March 01, 2016, 10:26:08 am »
I can make a gui that's a blank screen with one button, that says push this button...

You know I actually got so far as creating a simple HTML/JavaScript page that did exactly this on jsFiddle with the intention of posting it here then just at the last second decided that was too much of a sarcastic dick thing to do.  :) Glad I wasn't the only one thinking it though.

I guess if people are here making suggestions on what they think would increase interest in the hobby and one of the recurring items is something like 'get rid of the command line' then we'd be pretty foolish to dismiss it altogether. Even if it is new / inexperienced people making the suggestion simply because they don't understand the power it has they are the new people coming into this so are pretty well placed to make suggestions on what would make early adoption easier.

Despite this we should of course never actually get rid of the command line, but I can see a certain appeal in making programs that have both a gui and commandline interface.

dougeff I see from another topic you are looking to do some C# Gui goodness, mind if I drop you a message about a project I have in mind?

dougeff

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 01, 2016, 10:57:07 am »
Ok.

Gemini

• 時を越えよう、そして彼女の元に戻ろう
    • View Profile
    • Apple of Eden
« Reply #74 on: March 01, 2016, 12:15:05 pm »
I can make a gui that's a blank screen with one button, that says push this button to make it do whatever the command line version was going to do. Would that help? (Not being sarcastic)
It would only make some sense for people lazy about learning how to use command line tools. Other than that, I wouldn't bother with dead brains; use a GUI where it's really needed, such as utilities aimed at some more complex usages.

Wanna generate interest in hacking? Use hype, it's supereffective!
I am the lord, you all know my name, now. I got it all: cash, money, and fame.

Gideon Zhi

• IRC Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #75 on: March 01, 2016, 01:43:31 pm »
If people only post opinions and no actual hacks/documents (like the OP) - then the interest in romhacking is destined to decline...

/dACE

There's a reason I don't post on these boards much anymore.

dougeff

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 01, 2016, 02:10:55 pm »
I can't remember who said "make more tools, not command line"... but, I'm thinking now, that's kind of vague.

What tools are we lacking? What tool, if existed, would make the people on the sidelines say " oh, I can make a hack now". ?

And don't say "gimme a Kiwi Kraze level editor". (That's a reference to a comment from last year).

http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php/topic,20011.msg281539.html#msg281539

I definitely feel the datacrystal wiki could be better.

So, I guess the question is... How do we motivate people who know things to document them on the wiki?

I'm starting to like the 'award' idea...over at NintendoAge they give you awards for various things. Maybe we should give out awards to people who contribute tools and documents and great hacks.

Not like a physical object, more like a little sticker graphic that appears on your profile page.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 02:32:27 pm by dougeff »

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 01, 2016, 02:41:38 pm »
So, I guess the question is... How do we motivate people who know things to document them on the wiki?

I'm starting to like the 'award' idea...over at NintendoAge they give you awards for various things. Maybe we should give out awards to people who contribute tools and documents and great hacks.

Not like a physical object, more like a little sticker graphic that appears on your profile page.

If you think that would work with this mob then I have a bridge to sell you.

goldenband

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 01, 2016, 02:55:07 pm »
To be fair, I think it's absolutely true that easy-to-use tools for changing content in existing games attracts a new, different kind of participant. There's no doubt about that: if you lower the barrier to entry, you always get more people.

The problem for me is that -- with some exceptions -- I don't really care about that side of things (level editing, etc.), and have noticed that a lot of the unpleasant drama revolves around it too.

I'm much more interested in translation/localization patches. For those the idea of an easy-to-use, one-size-fits-all tool is absurd: by the time you could possibly have a tool like that, the important hacking (knowing how the game works) is done anyway.

I'm not sure whether opinion-havers just don't understand the difference, or what.

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 01, 2016, 03:32:32 pm »
Command lines aren't the problem because that only effects people who are lazy and unwilling to learn something new (the kind that shouldn't be hacking in the first place). If someone can't even figure out how to use a command prompt they just don't have the capacity to hack in the first place. Hacking is NOT taking an editor like Lunar Magic and making a new game from an old one. I repeat: That is NOT hacking. Don't flatter yourself, people. That's just using a computer program like every other pedestrian. The author of that program was a hacker, many of the users are not. Hacking involves building reverse engineering and problem solving skills. It is not a hobby for the dim or lazy.

I think /dACE said it best:

War is Peace. Freedom is Slavery. Ignorance is Strength.