News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: How to increase interest in hacking?  (Read 36546 times)

Gemini

• 時を越えよう、そして彼女の元に戻ろう
    • View Profile
    • Apple of Eden
Re: How to increase interest in hacking?
« Reply #200 on: May 06, 2016, 09:11:26 pm »
Redoing a lot of the code to account for something different than Japanese is still not everything in most communities. I mean, documenting a game's formats is quite a feat of its own, especially when it involves complex archives, virtual file systems, compression(s), etc.

As for replacing the ugly BIOS font, those who can pull that kind of hack have my sympathy. I've done that more than a few of times: it's never easy or pleasant, especially when a game does weird stuff with VRAM and allocators. Mizzurna Falls gave me a few headaches just to figure out where I could add my texture loader, not to mention how to make the game not overwrite it because reasons.
I am the lord, you all know my name, now. I got it all: cash, money, and fame.

Madsiur

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • FF6 hacker
    • View Profile
Re: How to increase interest in hacking?
« Reply #201 on: May 06, 2016, 10:17:04 pm »
That's a bit... reductive of many of their efforts.
Reverse engineering compression formats without debuggers, just the raw data and trial and error, is no small feat.

I'm unsure what your are talking about but I was talking about official creation kits and steam workshop tools that are released by the game publisher itself. This is why games like Fallout 4 have mods the day after the game comes out. Maybe I'm missing something but I always thought that kind of modding was easier and faster, which is a good thing for those who enjoy working with those tools. I'm tempted however to think it might redirect a portion of potential ISO or ROM hackers into a more user-friendly game modification scene. I know some Steam games are modded and have no modding support from the game publisher like all Square Enix games on Steam. Those require reverse engineering, figuring out formats, etc...