News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Transposing music of Kirby's Adventure  (Read 4396 times)

RetroGameFan

• View Profile
Transposing music of Kirby's Adventure
« on: February 22, 2016, 05:53:18 pm »
I am interested in transposing 18 musical themes in the NES game Kirby's Adventure. I have the NSF file at hand, and I figure once I'm able to transpose a bunch of the desired themes to keys of my choice, I will be able to locate them in the ROM and transpose them within the game itself. I have a hex editor on my PC.

I exported the 18 pieces from the NSF file into individual WAV files, transposed them using Audacity, and saved them into 18 new WAV files. Then, I transferred the files to a zipped folder (ZIP file). I wish I could attach the folder to this thread to give readers an idea of where I want to go, but I don't think I can.

Is there perhaps a better method of transposing the music of Kirby's Adventure besides using a hex editor? If so, are there utilities and/or applications I could use to accomplish such a task?

Dr. Floppy

• Restricted Access
  • Make America GREAT Again!
    • View Profile
    • BaddestHacks.net
Re: Transposing music of Kirby's Adventure
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2016, 09:16:19 pm »
Is there perhaps a better method of transposing the music of Kirby's Adventure besides using a hex editor?

Are you transposing all of the themes in the same manner? If so, you could just revise the ROM's frequency table accordingly.

Otherwise, you're going to have to dig into the music data and change each note manually. Either task will require a hex editor.

RetroGameFan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2016, 07:13:52 am »
Are you transposing all of the themes in the same manner? If so, you could just revise the ROM's frequency table accordingly.

Otherwise, you're going to have to dig into the music data and change each note manually. Either task will require a hex editor.
No, I'm not transposing all of the themes in the same manner by any means. I'm doing some of them higher, and some of them lower. That's for sure. I guess I'm stuck with using a hex editor... ::)

Now, if I wanted to transpose the music within the NSF file first, is there a way I could locate each individual piece of music by its address so that I'll know what I'm working with?

My hex editor is Hex Workshop.

Revenant

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2016, 07:10:09 pm »
https://github.com/devinacker/kale/blob/master/notes/kirbymusic.txt

Here are my old semi-sparse notes on Kirby's Adventure's music. It has the locations of the song pointer tables as CPU addresses but I don't remember where in the actual ROM the individual tracks are located (or which ROM I was even working with, probably either US PRG0 or JP).

RetroGameFan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2016, 08:21:25 am »
https://github.com/devinacker/kale/blob/master/notes/kirbymusic.txt

Here are my old semi-sparse notes on Kirby's Adventure's music. It has the locations of the song pointer tables as CPU addresses but I don't remember where in the actual ROM the individual tracks are located (or which ROM I was even working with, probably either US PRG0 or JP).
Thank you. That might be helpful for sometime in the future.

Is there any more help one can provide me with?

RetroGameFan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2016, 04:06:32 pm »
I want to start with where to find the "Draw Kirby" music in the North American ROM by using a hex editor (in my case Hex Workshop). Can someone please help me?

Dr. Floppy

• Restricted Access
  • Make America GREAT Again!
    • View Profile
    • BaddestHacks.net
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2016, 04:55:17 pm »
I'd set read breakpoints to the low/high nybble ranges mentioned in Revenant's notes*, then identify the location of the "Draw Kirby!" music data based upon which bytes get pinged upon startup.

*My research has the low- and high-nybbles coming from the respective arrays at $8991 and $89CB (CPU).
« Last Edit: March 06, 2016, 05:03:11 pm by Dr. Floppy »

RetroGameFan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2016, 07:04:47 pm »
I'd set read breakpoints to the low/high nybble ranges mentioned in Revenant's notes*, then identify the location of the "Draw Kirby!" music data based upon which bytes get pinged upon startup.
Are you talking about the bytes that flash when the music is playing with the hex editor open? (The emulator I'm using is Fceux, which comes with a built-in hex editor.) If possible, could you please show me an image of your research?

I'm asking these specific questions so I may be able to muster the tools I'll need to pull off music hacking in this game, or in any game for that matter.

Dracula X

• View Profile
    • My YouTube Page for ROM hacking
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2016, 12:57:56 am »
You all beat me to it. Awesome!

http://datacrystal.romhacking.net/wiki/Kirby's_Adventure:Tutorials

I'll get the track list soon.
I might go back to Thunder Force II hacking again.

RetroGameFan

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2016, 09:00:38 am »
You all beat me to it. Awesome!

http://datacrystal.romhacking.net/wiki/Kirby's_Adventure:Tutorials

I'll get the track list soon.
@Dracula X - Thank you for reviving this topic, and for providing that extremely helpful link! This should sooner or later suffice in cracking the code! :)

Revenant

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2016, 09:43:56 am »
My notes linked above have a complete list of effect commands, though I'm not able to add them to the Data Crystal article at the moment.

Dracula X

• View Profile
    • My YouTube Page for ROM hacking
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2016, 12:59:04 pm »
@Dracula X - Thank you for reviving this topic, and for providing that extremely helpful link! This should sooner or later suffice in cracking the code!

You're welcome!

My notes linked above have a complete list of effect commands, though I'm not able to add them to the Data Crystal article at the moment.

I saw and it's well explained!

I guess my work on Kirby's Adventure music is done. Now I know why track 4 transpose track doesn't sound like the game boy version.
I might go back to Thunder Force II hacking again.