News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Minor Translations Questions  (Read 2134 times)

Chiche

• View Profile
Minor Translations Questions
« on: February 14, 2016, 11:27:30 pm »
Hi, I'm currently playing the PSX game Super Robot Wars Alpha, which is only on Japanese, and I've been translating the words to English on a Notepad just to remind what everything means on menus and stuff like that, but I'm thinking about patching the game so I can play more freely.

I'm playing .bin and .cue files on ePSXe emulator on Windows 7, I've never hacked any game before but I'm a programmer and I'm only trying to translate menus and skills and items names so I thought it might not be too hard.

If you could give me a few directions, what to read, what to use, it would be great :)

Thanks in advance !

A little update: I've read the "Getting Started" section and I've slightly read the "The ART of Rom Hacking", "The Definitive Guide to ROM Hacking for Complete Beginners" and the PSX translating document, but I have a few questions:

- At this time, I'm still not sure what kind of file do I need for start editing, I have a .bin and .cue

- If I'm not wrong, using a Hex Editor and maybe editing and creating a table is enough for translating what I want ?

Basically I'm not exactly understanding what to do with my files and how to locate what I must edit, from there on I think the documentation I have must be enough and I should be able to handle it or at least google it, as I perfectly understand pointers, hexadecimal, etc. and I'm used to use google for problems.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2016, 12:49:33 am by Chiche »

BlackDog61

• View Profile
    • Super Robot Wars A Portable translation thread
Re: Minor Translations Questions
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2016, 02:56:39 pm »
Hey!

I'm only trying to translate menus and skills and items names so I thought it might not be too hard.
A quick of foreword of warning. Well, not so much "warning" as telling you in advance what you'll find later, so you can prepare yourself for it. ;D
Menu patches that don't try to look ok / good are easy.
But if you want a nice looking menu patch, you may find youself looking at:
- Introducing a variable-width font (because there's so little screen real estate anyway)
- Changing not just menu words, but also enlargin the graphics of the menu background
- Relocating pieces of info in status screens, so as to fit as much as possible
It is feasible. It just takes time. I really think it is worth doing, too. Take it as a challenge for a programmer to prove his worth? 8)

- At this time, I'm still not sure what kind of file do I need for start editing, I have a .bin and .cue
These are a CD image. You want to extract files from them. There's beena few posts on that topic recently, so just look for PSX CD in the forum's search box. ;) Daemon Tools Lite (or anothing else) should be able to show you the files. You'll need other CD creating SW for insertion, though.
And just my own personal advice, since we're at it: change very little at the beginning, but insert it back and play it. This way you'll know you have all you need in the dumps to re-create the files, before you go so far as to translate many things.

- If I'm not wrong, using a Hex Editor and maybe editing and creating a table is enough for translating what I want ?
Well a hex editor can do anything and everything, but it can be tedious, too.
These are a good start until you need to change code. If / When you do, think about an assembly tool chain. I liked armips so I'd advise for it (I think it supports PSX,but better double-check).

Basically I'm not exactly understanding what to do with my files and how to locate what I must edit, from there on I think the documentation I have must be enough and I should be able to handle it or at least google it, as I perfectly understand pointers, hexadecimal, etc. and I'm used to use google for problems.
Always work on the extracted files from the CD image, not on the image. Until you want tp publish a patch - that one will be better created from a full image.

Anyways, just my 3 cents.
Have fun!

Chiche

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2016, 06:52:41 pm »
Thank you so much !! You really answered exactly what I wanted, that's a lot of help ! :) In the next few hours I'll be working on this, hope to be able to do an acceptable translation so more people enjoy the awesome game mechanics of SRWA. If I have another question I'm not able to solve searching on internet I'll be posting around so I can finish faster.
EDIT
Ok, so far, and just to update the post, I've extracted files and I'm playing around with hex editor, but I don't understand exactly what I'm seeing, so I'll be searching, reading and asking until I make more progress...
EDIT2
Right now, and thanks to the people on the IRC channel, I've gotten the S-JIS table needed to understand the characters that the Hex Editor showed me, and found a few people to talk a bit about the problems I find... So hope to be making more progress fast.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2016, 10:09:44 pm by Chiche »

charlesverda

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2016, 09:25:38 pm »
Um hello to anyone who might be reading this. Okay I won't lie, I'm a noob and this is even my first time using a message board like this to be honest, so forgive the most likely out of the way method of posting this question. Anyway I've been playing a game called Fire Emblem: Gaiden that is Japanese only. I have managed to get the ROM, the translation patch, and an emulator that can run it, but I do not know how to apply the patch to the game. I am using the Nestopia emulator.

USC

• Submission Reviewer
  • Obviously Outdated
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2016, 07:00:09 am »
What file format is the patch? If it's an .IPS file, you can use a patching program like LunarIPS to add it to the ROM.
http://www.romhacking.net/utilities/240/

charlesverda

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2016, 04:42:20 pm »
Oh why yes it is. The thing is I downloaded a compilation pack basically of the previous patches since it took multiple patch jobs before it got done. So do I just put every single one in or can I just pick one? I'm using the version done by Artemis.