News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Algorithm for best optimizing string compression?  (Read 9524 times)

Bregalad

• View Profile
Re: Algorithm for best optimizing string compression?
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2016, 03:32:15 am »
I definitely knew it as DTE originally, when used non-recursively.

I'm surprised Wikipedia claims byte-pair/digram encoding wasn't publicly described until 1994, given how simple it is. In fact, I've personally found one obscure example that is dated 1993 (and I decompressed all of it by hand, which was rather interesting to slowly watch, given the text). I'm curious as to what the real earliest example of it in the wild is.
I don't know, but at least the US version of FF1 used this (1990). I'm pretty sure it wasn't the first, however.

I am also surprised how undeveloped the WP article is, considering this compression works so well for text. Well, it's just WP the way it is, likes developing hundreds of pages about extinct dialects which aren't spoken by nobody anymore, but they don't cover anything useful.

tryphon

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2016, 08:08:27 am »
It's a public wiki. Don't hesitate to write on it.

You can't blame Wikipedia for the fact that Basco-Inuit locutors are less lazy than romhackers  ;D

Bregalad

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2016, 09:58:44 am »
It's a public wiki. Don't hesitate to write on it.
Invest time to have my changes immediately reversed because of lack of sources? No thanks.

tryphon

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2016, 10:25:46 am »
Bad faith...  :P