News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Is the Romancing Saga Series the hardest to translate & hack?  (Read 4027 times)

Kallisto

• View Profile
Seems like whenever I read the threads about it on here that Romancing Saga 1-2-3 are incredibly problematic. I take it these are the hardest RPG SNES games to work with compared to anything else?

FAST6191

• View Profile
Re: Is the Romancing Saga Series the hardest to translate & hack?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2017, 07:20:49 am »
Hardest is a somewhat variable term.

From where I sit for the SNES I would probably want to look at Treasure of the Rudras/Rudra no Hihou/Rudora no Hiho.
The game used a Japanese linguistics based spell system. If I am going for easy translations I will take 50 different tables, table swap commands, compression, formatting/markup and some insane pointer system all day long before I want to tangle with having to refactor a linguistics based system as part of a translation.
No whether because I don't know Japanese that well, and indeed for the other languages I do know more well I am hardly going to be the toast of the evening should I attend a witty puns contest, linguistics would be where I look to find more challenging translations. While my misgivings might be a thing I would also have to look to how many games have had the text extracted but then "await translation or translators", and will be in 10 years time.

Having never tangled with Romancing Saga (or much SNES translation at all actually) I opted to read http://www.romhacking.net/documents/432/ and http://www.romhacking.net/documents/433/
Respectively they cover on map town names and the variable width font (though at the same time expanding a bit on the more typical in game text) for the first game. Impressive work on both counts, if someone wanted a rough and ready of example of how assembly hacking goes down in the real world they could do far worse than read that, and very much welcome for the end hack, however I am not sure (as in genuinely don't know, not just open pondering of whether it was a "needless" flourish) if a more bodge it and scarper method could not have still made the game playable.

The wiki did not have anything I could see and the VFW document for the second game was just that and no particular notes. To that end I don't know if the later games upped the ante in some way. The second game VFW looked like a fairly standard lookup and bounds checking affair though, though if you are subverting an entire system you might well be able to simplify things.

tvtoon

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2017, 09:59:16 am »
Hardest, not by far... Troublesome, yes.
The multiple scenario system, script coding system, and a bunch of text keeps it away from many people.

magictrufflez

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2017, 03:39:46 pm »
From what I've seen, RS2 is awful to hack because it has a really, really weird text display.  Some of Gideon's less-than-successfl screenshots look like utter nightmares to figure out.

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2017, 06:27:57 pm »
Maybe the Goemon games?  At least, they seem to have repeatedly stymied people.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

Retrolife

• Restricted Access
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2017, 12:40:02 pm »
Nope it's been fan patched ages ago

w1ck3d

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2017, 08:34:40 pm »
I'd have to nominate Ys V, because changing a single line of code breaks the entire game.

goldenband

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2017, 09:28:57 pm »
^Checksum, anti-piracy, or what?

yugisokubodai

• View Profile
    • Assembly
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2017, 09:51:32 pm »
Anyone looked at Albert Oddyssei?
I'm not sure is it the hardest game to hack, but surely it's a game of this kind.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2017, 10:16:16 pm »
I'd have to nominate Ys V, because changing a single line of code breaks the entire game.

I doubt checksums are close to the worst problem one could deal with when hacking a game.
(with disassembly, it's possible to find the checksum code and break it.)
In Nadia for the Genesis, the passwords were encrypted and embedded within the code which checks them. I'm still not sure how they were encrypted, I just wrote a C program to mimic the game's ASM code, instruction by instruction. And then code a reverse version of the routine to generate the replacement modified (translated) passwords.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

Avster

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2017, 01:28:05 pm »
« Last Edit: August 14, 2021, 07:02:05 pm by Avster »