News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Treasure of the Rudras Review  (Read 5760 times)

Daria

• View Profile
Treasure of the Rudras Review
« on: February 05, 2016, 08:00:20 pm »
Alright so at RHDN of all places I'm probably preaching to the choir. But it amazes me how little known Rudra is among Square fans in general. FF6 and Chrono Trigger are obviously popular because they were released in the US (in addition to being great games), but on the translated front all I ever really hear about is Seiken Densetsu 3, Bahamut Lagoon and to a lesser extent Live A Live. Personally I feel Rudra is one of Square's best representations of the SNES era. The language based magic system was innovative and fun (if it did render the game a little unbalanced at times), and the simultaneous parallel scenarios of the game's central heroes was a fantastic way to reveal different perspectives on the over arching plot. Anyway if you're interested in this sort of thing I put together a short review of the game: https://youtu.be/Hl-IEblJjqQ

SleepyFist

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
Re: Treasure of the Rudras Review
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2016, 04:05:47 pm »
Nice review, Subscribed and liked! Ive actually had Rudra sitting around in my rom folder for awhile but I haven't gotten around to playing it yet, Im gonna go do that now :thumbsup:.

tvtoon

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2016, 05:01:39 pm »
I don't feel that Rudra can even scratch some Final Fantasy ranking, the magic system seems great at first sight, but soon you get rendered to two or three magics that really matter. It is plain bad design that you can afford in many games. ;)

The graphics (except for menus) and the plot are good, and honorable mention to many tunes, but it is not enough to age some latter release. For comparison purposes, Treasure Hunter G has far better replayability.

Daria

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2016, 08:48:46 pm »
I don't feel that Rudra can even scratch some Final Fantasy ranking, the magic system seems great at first sight, but soon you get rendered to two or three magics that really matter. It is plain bad design that you can afford in many games. ;)

The graphics (except for menus) and the plot are good, and honorable mention to many tunes, but it is not enough to age some latter release. For comparison purposes, Treasure Hunter G has far better replayability.

Truthfully? I'm not a Final Fantasy fan. But I disagree about the magic (obviously), I found myself playing around with different spell effects frequently. It's only as involved as the player feels like making it. Personally I'm drawn to games that have a creative aspect for me to personalize, lets me design or create something and I'm more engaged with the experience. So I had a lot of fun trying about different spells and fitting together the various roots and prefixes/sufixes.

Bahamut ZERO

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2016, 02:53:14 pm »
About time I see someone talking about one of my favorite SNES rpgs!  :D

I love the games magic system. You can either use the names of spells you see being used, or write completely random words and see what happens. The outcomes can sometimes be hilarious.

I also liked how the enemies are animated, boss musics are hardcore sounding versions of the world map music (which if I remember right, is different for each character) and the elemental affinitys are handled (reminds me of Chrono Cross in some aspects).

Makes me really wish Square had made one last Final Fantasy after making this game, borrowing some of the aspects of it. Would've been insane!
Like Super Mario Land? Then you'll love my first completed Rom Hack: Maniac on the Run!

Idkbutlike2

• Beer Chozo
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2016, 03:35:58 pm »
All I can remember about this game is naming a bunch of spells after cuss words and genitalia (or both!) and dungeon crawling for a couple of hours. I should probably try replaying it one of these days.

Bahamut ZERO

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2016, 05:47:59 pm »
All I can remember about this game is naming a bunch of spells after cuss words and genitalia (or both!) and dungeon crawling for a couple of hours. I should probably try replaying it one of these days.

Decided to start a new file and do just that! Here's a nice spell:

CORNHOLE

Cost:21

Dark Damage Vs All

193 damage using Surlent at the start of the game  :woot!:
Like Super Mario Land? Then you'll love my first completed Rom Hack: Maniac on the Run!

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2016, 06:09:35 pm »
LMAO

I need to give this game another shot. I never did write it off completely but I did want to put some distance between it and myself for a while. I remembered choosing one of the characters and eventually getting stuck because I couldn't figure out what I needed to do to progress the game forward. At the time I was absolutely sick of turn-based RPGs so I probably didn't give it the time and effort it deserved. Always wanted to go back to it though because of the interesting magic system and cool music from Ryuji Sasai.
Cigarettes, ice-cream, figurines of the Virgin Mary...

megavolt

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2016, 07:18:16 pm »
I still need to try this one.  There are just so many good SNES RPG both Square and non-Square that didn't make it over.  From your comments here and your Youtube review, the game does sound interesting.  Maybe I won't love it, but it sounds like I'll like it.  I liked Romancing SaGa 3.

Oh, and if what you're saying when you say you aren't a Final Fantasy fan is that you think some Final Fantasy titles are much better than others, then we agree.  I liked the series from about 4 (my introduction) to 7 (overrated like crazy but good) and after 8 (just a weird and overall ho hum experience) I mostly lost interest with the exception of 12 because I've long been a Yasumi Matsuno fan.

SleepyFist

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2016, 12:53:21 am »
Im liking what i've played so far, the graphics and sound so far are some of the best ive heard from the SNES, and ive already got a spell book full of Greek/Roman gods and Jontron memes.

As a note for anyone playing this, make sure you're using the beta of v2.1, as the current version 2.0 release has an issue with wiping stat buffs in battle.
Thanks Gideon :thumbsup:, I had a prepatched 2.0 version, but I hadn't noticed the status buff bug yet.
but I did notice
"a mantra hint or two don´t resolve to what they´re supposed to"
that really weirded me out, I tried every letter in the alphabet and I still couldn't get those hints from the chests to work, so I eventually gave up paying attention to them.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2016, 01:11:24 am by SleepyFist »

Gideon Zhi

• Discord Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2016, 12:50:05 am »
As a note for anyone playing this, make sure you're using the beta of v2.1, as the current version 2.0 release has an issue with wiping stat buffs in battle.

Daria

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2016, 12:09:18 am »
I still need to try this one.  There are just so many good SNES RPG both Square and non-Square that didn't make it over.  From your comments here and your Youtube review, the game does sound interesting.  Maybe I won't love it, but it sounds like I'll like it.  I liked Romancing SaGa 3.

Oh, and if what you're saying when you say you aren't a Final Fantasy fan is that you think some Final Fantasy titles are much better than others, then we agree.  I liked the series from about 4 (my introduction) to 7 (overrated like crazy but good) and after 8 (just a weird and overall ho hum experience) I mostly lost interest with the exception of 12 because I've long been a Yasumi Matsuno fan.

Lets just say my favorite Final Fantasy game is 9 although I recognize that 4 and 6 are well made games. I grew up with a Genesis and have none of the usual Square nostalgia associated with the typical RPG fan.

So just checked. Apparently I made my video with 2.0, luckily I rarely use stat buff spells. Too many other RPGs have trained me to assume they're worthless.

lantern48

• All your ring are belong to us.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2017, 03:32:52 pm »
Never mind. I found it.

Bregalad

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2017, 03:53:56 pm »
to a lesser extent Live A Live
Then you should play it to a greater extent as soon as possible. It's really the best Square's second best realisation on the SNES, barely behind Chrono Trigger, in my opinion.

As of Treasure of the Rudras, I didn't like it. It was incredibly hard and the storyline was extremely cliche. I was stuck at some factory which uses enery from butterfiles in order to do some shit, and I had a boss that was completely invincible. Maybe I needed to play other chapters to beat it ? But I wanted to play only a chapter at a time, so I gave up on the game.

I grew up with a Genesis and have none of the usual Square nostalgia associated with the typical RPG fan.
I grew up with a Playstation 1 but I still love NES and SNES games, including NES games older than myself such as Mega Man 2. I don't think it can be reduced to nostalgia only - it's "nostalgia" for a time I didn't even live.

travel27

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2017, 06:22:24 pm »

Not many games have a really diverse magic system....  You have power and defense and sometimes speed and/or agility buffs (3 or 4) and debuffs (3 or 4 more) plus the strongest ice/fire/lightning/earth magic currently at your disposal (4 more).  Maybe some holy/dark and something else for 2 or 3 more.

Maybe a few more if you are lucky.  But magic is pretty standard in the majority of rpgs.

For those who actually experimented, Rudra had more than your average rpg and is anything but standard.

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2017, 06:32:30 pm »
CORNHOLE

Cost:21

Dark Damage Vs All

193 damage using Surlent at the start of the game  :woot!:
I summon The Great Cornholio!  May this power lead to TP for his bunghole!

magictrufflez

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2017, 08:42:11 pm »
IMO there's a lot about Rudra that I find a bit overrated (the magic & battle systems aren't as complicated to break as one might think), but I really think it's just a good game, but not quite great.  The writing is probably above average, but I can't quite get over the streamlined enemy mobs (basically ~2-3 actual mobs per map---that's kind of lazy IMO, even if Rudra is essentially 3 games in 1), the lack of real strategy needed to excel (with the exception of bosses who have high physical resistance, there is little reason to focus on anything other than healing/buff spells, especially when your magic list is a bit on the short side too), and the kind of constant points of no return.

Not that it's not good--I did like it--I just think a lot of the stuff people nerd out over it for maybe go a bit overboard IMO.