News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Fire Emblem 4: Genealogy of the Holy War Re-translation (Project Naga)  (Read 189515 times)

hanhnn

• View Profile
It looks like they're saying you might have to use another emulator. :(

I spent today looking into this issue, and I think I see what's happening.

The game copies Dew's HP and stats to a separate area of RAM for visual calculation. But whenever he takes a hit or heals himself with Sol, it's also trying to keep his original HP up to date. The problem happens when Sol procs on a Brave sword hit. Sol is only healing for the first hit in the arena, but the game thinks it should be healing him twice and updating his original HP.

So when he takes his first hit, he goes from 41 HP to 19 HP. Then on his next turn, he activates Sol and heals himself for 5 HP, going up to 24 HP. But the game thinks he should heal twice, and updated his original HP to 29. This continues until the "deathblow", where the arena visuals show him at 12 HP, but the game thinks he has 27 HP. So Nazarre's last hit deals 22 HP of damage, making it appear that he should die. But the game actually says Dew has 5 HP left now.

TLDR: Sol and Brave swords break the arena. I can fix it so the two HP values stay consistent.
Due to the way RNG works in this game, it doesn't matter which translation patch you play, it'll always produce the same sequence.
I guess you must have done something to the core code, the game has change its behavior and we have this side effect.

My opinion, you should reverse it back to the way it used to be.

bookofholsety

• View Profile
I guess you must have done something to the core code, the game has change its behavior and we have this side effect.

My opinion, you should reverse it back to the way it used to be.

false. here is footage of it happening in an untouched jp rom. zombie dew knows no language barriers. this isn't dds's fault at all

Black Mage

• View Profile
I spent today looking into this issue, and I think I see what's happening.

The game copies Dew's HP and stats to a separate area of RAM for visual calculation. But whenever he takes a hit or heals himself with Sol, it's also trying to keep his original HP up to date. The problem happens when Sol procs on a Brave sword hit. Sol is only healing for the first hit in the arena, but the game thinks it should be healing him twice and updating his original HP.

So when he takes his first hit, he goes from 41 HP to 19 HP. Then on his next turn, he activates Sol and heals himself for 5 HP, going up to 24 HP. But the game thinks he should heal twice, and updated his original HP to 29. This continues until the "deathblow", where the arena visuals show him at 12 HP, but the game thinks he has 27 HP. So Nazarre's last hit deals 22 HP of damage, making it appear that he should die. But the game actually says Dew has 5 HP left now.

TLDR: Sol and Brave swords break the arena. I can fix it so the two HP values stay consistent.
Huh, that's interesting. Thanks for not only checking but discovering it. Though I still wonder, is this a glitch that was present in vanilla too or was it caused by the patch?  Like I said before, I never saw this glitch before, and I played FE4 a ton of times. Brave Sword juggling is something that I always did to allow everyone to clear the arena, but I guess it's not impossible that I just never ran into this situation with either Dew or Dew!Patty.

Edit: never mind, only now saw this new page with Holsety saying it happens in any language.

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
It's pretty off-topic but I have to ask, what font is it that you're using for the main dialogue VWF and such?  It's absolutely gorgeous looking and incredibly legible.  Was that a custom set you made yourself?
'We have to find some way to incorporate the general civilians in the plot.'

'We'll kill off children in the Juuban district with an infection where they cough up blood and are found hanging themselves from cherry blossom trees.'

bookofholsety

• View Profile
It's pretty off-topic but I have to ask, what font is it that you're using for the main dialogue VWF and such?  It's absolutely gorgeous looking and incredibly legible.  Was that a custom set you made yourself?

it's earthbound/mother 3's font, with an outline slapped on it

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
Holy hell the difference an outline can make. Thank ya for answering!
'We have to find some way to incorporate the general civilians in the plot.'

'We'll kill off children in the Juuban district with an infection where they cough up blood and are found hanging themselves from cherry blossom trees.'

Lentfilms

• View Profile

I ran into two issues in Chapter 7. One happens when you attack Blume for the first time: The top line of his textbox disappears as the text scrolls. And the other is a spacing problem when Tinni speaks to Seliph after joining your team, I forgot to get a screenshot of this but it was basically two words that didn't have a space between them.

I've also noticed that during the intro cut-scene there is a lot of gray artifacts around the the text, it is hard to tell in this screenshot but if you zoom-in you should see it.

Repth99

• View Profile
8mb!?  My goodness, that looks lovely.

Shame I can't inject it into the 3ds due to the size.  And Boy, I tried.  Someday.

ddstranslation

• View Profile
I ran into two issues in Chapter 7. One happens when you attack Blume for the first time: The top line of his textbox disappears as the text scrolls. And the other is a spacing problem when Tinni speaks to Seliph after joining your team, I forgot to get a screenshot of this but it was basically two words that didn't have a space between them.

I've also noticed that during the intro cut-scene there is a lot of gray artifacts around the the text, it is hard to tell in this screenshot but if you zoom-in you should see it.

Thanks. The typos will be fixed in the next build, and I showed the team the intro screenshot with the artifacts highlighted.

Shame I can't inject it into the 3ds due to the size.  And Boy, I tried.  Someday.

There's a 6 MB patch link earlier in the thread, but it doesn't seem like it works with the 3DS Virtual Console. It would require a complete rewrite to compress everything back down to 4 MB.

MegaZeroX

• View Profile
Re: Fire Emblem 4: Genealogy of the Holy War Re-translation (Project Naga)
« Reply #169 on: June 01, 2016, 07:56:45 am »

Apparently, the patch works on the 3DS given you use CATSFC(+) or SNES9x Next. It doesn't work with VC injections as the ROM size, as you have mentioned, is too big.

June 05, 2016, 01:32:11 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
When are we getting beta v6? It has been a long time since the last update, and a lot of stuff has been reported since.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2016, 01:32:11 pm by MegaZeroX »

ddstranslation

• View Profile
« Reply #170 on: June 07, 2016, 12:18:29 am »
Apparently, the patch works on the 3DS given you use CATSFC(+) or SNES9x Next. It doesn't work with VC injections as the ROM size, as you have mentioned, is too big.

June 05, 2016, 01:32:11 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
When are we getting beta v6? It has been a long time since the last update, and a lot of stuff has been reported since.

Sorry for the wait. The next version is up now.

Jukebox_66

• View Profile
« Reply #171 on: June 18, 2016, 07:20:32 am »
I truly never saw this coming. I cannot thank you enough, seriously!

I played this game in Japanese twice, with a translation script from Selene's Forest and a dictionary by my side :D

Anyway another emulator that runs just fine is mednafen since its SNES core is based on bsnes. I managed to load my save file and it worked. I have two saves at Endgame - one on turn #1 and one on turn #77 - ready to finish it.

My pairings:

First gen:
Aideen x Midir
Erin x Lewyn
Ayra x Holyn
Taillte x Azel
Sylvia x Claude
Raquesis x Beowulf
Bridget x Dew

Second gen:
Patty x Shannan
Larcei x Johalvier
Lana x Seliph
Fee x Arthur
Tinni x Ulster (note: is there a bug? Ulster goes to Issach and Tinni goes to Freege in the ending)
Lene x Ares
Nanna x Leif

Any dialog left to check? I played version b6.

Black Mage

• View Profile
« Reply #172 on: June 18, 2016, 07:00:33 pm »
Tinni x Ulster (note: is there a bug? Ulster goes to Issach and Tinni goes to Freege in the ending)
Males usually inherit/go to whatever kingdom their parent had, so Ulster goes to Isaach because he is male - and with a male goes the wife. However, with Tinni and Arthur something in particular happens. They are the only characters connected to Freege, Arthur will inherit whatever kingdom his father had (Velthomer, in your case) and so Tinni is left to go to Freege alone because there's no other Freege playable unit to inherit it. No male will accompany Tinni because they never accompany anyone in this game, the wives are the one who do that. The only way to avoid this that I know is to marry Taillte with a non holy blood parent, like, say, Arden. This way, Arthur won't have a father kingdom to go to and he goes to Freege (and his wife comes with him, I believe), leaving Tinni free to go with whoever she marries.

Reminds me when I did Lex x Taillte and paired Johalvier with Tinni, thinking that since Arthur is going to inherit Dozel, Johalvier will be free to go with Tinni. Doesn't work that way like previously stated, the endings are coded based on male inheritance and the male always goes to whatever kingdom he has a holy blood associated, so the only way for Tinni to have a lover in the end is to have a peasant for a father (which I recommend Arden because Wrath x Vantage is still nice even though there's no Paragon, all the other peasant fathers are physical with no benefit to a magical unit like Vantage).

I don't know how this plays with substitute children, if anyone knows and can shed a light on this I'd be thankful.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2016, 07:15:58 pm by Black Mage »

ddstranslation

• View Profile
« Reply #173 on: June 20, 2016, 03:22:35 am »
I was reading someone on 4chan finish an all-substitute-character run and they said that Hawke didn't get a mention in the epilogue. But bookofholsety just confirmed that this also happens in the Japanese version, so that seems to be a pre-existing bug. I'll see if I can figure out why that's happening.

We could still use a report on the Verdane epilogue with 2 or 3 characters involved in it. I'm thinking that it may be missing some text when mentioning the heir's wife or sibling.

Also, since I forgot to mention it here, the last patch's fixes for Sol and the Arena level ups are still broken. I reverted the fix for Sol since it was a showstopper bug by replacing the zip in the link. And I think I have a real fix for the Arena now, which should make its way into the next update.

Thanks for testing it out, much appreciated. :)

badbot5000

• View Profile
« Reply #174 on: July 10, 2016, 03:47:13 am »
Hey, i just started playing fe4 again, thanks for the translation,

I noticed that when animations are off, the names are very off centered

Heres a screenshot i took (i didnt have any screenshot equipment when i was playing, sorry)

Missingno255

• View Profile
« Reply #175 on: July 29, 2016, 05:17:37 am »
I'll give it a look. Someone mentioned on one of the videos I posted that 7 MB was the limit to get it under to work on emulator consoles, but I wasn't aware of the 6 MB limit.

I was mostly just spacing things out to have it better organized. But there should be enough space between the text graphics and dialogue to squeeze it together under 6 MB.

Edit: Can you test out this patch file and tell me if it works with that emulator?

http://www.mediafire.com/download/047bdpvvl8yiv5t/project_naga_beta_5_6mb_test.zip

I had to move the names for classes, items, terrain, armies, castles, skills, and item descriptions up into an unused space. And then moved the dialogue up into the now-vacated space and updated all of the pointers. It seemed to still run fine from a quick glance, but I can't test it on that emulator.
I'm the one who metioned on your video about compressing the game down to 7MB. :) The absolute ROM space limit of the SNES, is 12MB (96Mbit). That is the highest you can go to. SD2SNES implements this limit, however, the Super Everdrive flash cart can only copy games that are 7MB(56Mbit) and lower. I saw on page 8 that you had posted a patch for the translation expanding the ROM size to 6MB (48Mbit). I downloaded that and tested it and it works perfectly on a real SNES with Super Everdrive. I'm not sure how it is with emulators though.
I figured I'd test it on hardware to let you know how it would work, and lo and behold, it works! As long as you stay 7MB and under, you should be good to go with flashcart users. :D

EDIT:By the way, you've done an incredible job with translation! The intro is finally translated, no more text errors, the font from earthbound is very nice touch as well. Keep up the amazing work!
« Last Edit: July 29, 2016, 06:17:27 am by Missingno255 »

ddstranslation

• View Profile
« Reply #176 on: July 29, 2016, 10:29:09 pm »
Hey, i just started playing fe4 again, thanks for the translation,

I noticed that when animations are off, the names are very off centered

Heres a screenshot i took (i didnt have any screenshot equipment when i was playing, sorry)

No problem, glad you enjoyed it. :)

About the picture, that's a result of the 16x16 font being replaced with an alphabet with descending letters. To get everything to rest on whatever line they're printing on would require turning the font into a 16x24 font, which would be way too much trouble than it'd be worth, I feel.

I'm the one who metioned on your video about compressing the game down to 7MB. :) The absolute ROM space limit of the SNES, is 12MB (96Mbit). That is the highest you can go to. SD2SNES implements this limit, however, the Super Everdrive flash cart can only copy games that are 7MB(56Mbit) and lower. I saw on page 8 that you had posted a patch for the translation expanding the ROM size to 6MB (48Mbit). I downloaded that and tested it and it works perfectly on a real SNES with Super Everdrive. I'm not sure how it is with emulators though.
I figured I'd test it on hardware to let you know how it would work, and lo and behold, it works! As long as you stay 7MB and under, you should be good to go with flashcart users. :D

EDIT:By the way, you've done an incredible job with translation! The intro is finally translated, no more text errors, the font from earthbound is very nice touch as well. Keep up the amazing work!

That's cool that it worked. :)  Though most people playing on homebrew 3DSes or phones seem to still not be able to load ROMs over 4 MB.

But 7 MB should be easy to stay under. The game is already under that size, so it'd just be a matter of removing the last 1 MB. Getting it under 6 MB was a bit more involved, since I had to move some stuff around.

Gamerhenky

• Fire Emblem X Wizardry
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #177 on: July 30, 2016, 11:47:13 pm »
That's cool that it worked. :)  Though most people playing on homebrew 3DSes or phones seem to still not be able to load ROMs over 4 MB.

But 7 MB should be easy to stay under. The game is already under that size, so it'd just be a matter of removing the last 1 MB. Getting it under 6 MB was a bit more involved, since I had to move some stuff around.

Playing on my phone (Advan S3 Lite) runs perfectly. (Using Snes9x EX)

Shiryu

• No Surrender, No Retreat.
    • View Profile
    • Shiryu Music
« Reply #178 on: August 01, 2016, 10:29:35 am »
ddstranslation: I will be out on vacations soon, but I want to make sure I don't miss out on the final release of the patch so I can do a write up about it for Nintendo Life and also spread the news using my YouTube channel. Could you please drop me a line when it's nearly "Go Time"?

Much appreciated, keep up the good work.  :thumbsup:

reyvgm

• View Profile
« Reply #179 on: August 20, 2016, 11:44:36 pm »
Oh, you! *blushes* Thanks for the shout-out.

Hi, there. Treeofmight a.k.a AzimuthFE here. As DDS said, I have been working on the graphics for the game. They are waiting for bookofholsety's approval, but they're all there. Now I am playing around with the RAM in the final chapter. I am hoping that changing around the RAM contents might change the ending and make it easier to test.

Can you post about your RAM findings? I'm interested in ways to change the endings easily too.