News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Modding Background Colors in Super Mario Bros.  (Read 3218 times)

Dr. Chill

• View Profile
Modding Background Colors in Super Mario Bros.
« on: August 11, 2016, 12:35:43 am »
Hey RHDN, I have yet another question, two of them actually, but I'm gonna get the easier one out of the way first.

I'm not much of a stranger to palette hacking, especially in NES games, but what bugs me is that I can't change the background colors in Super Mario Bros. I know it's possible, and many SMB1 hacks on this site use unique background colors in their levels. While I usually have no problem changing palettes for sprites, foreground objects, etc. in a hex editor, the background colors themselves are a different story. I can try editing the hex value for one of the background colors and more likely than not nothing happens to the background color. It really annoys me because I'm not a big fan of either the very light blue or the flat black.

If I can get a solution for this, that would be very nice.

DarkSamus993

• View Profile
Re: Modding Background Colors in Super Mario Bros.
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2016, 09:04:04 am »
Checking the ROM map, it looks like background colors start at 0x05DF (1-byte each, 8 entries).

Dr. Chill

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2016, 04:00:14 pm »
Thanks so much for the info, but I'm not familiar with offsets and what they are. I believed they were related to the "Adr. Hex" box at the lower left corner of my XV132 window, but I could very well be wrong.

DarkSamus993

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2016, 04:25:24 pm »
Yes, you are correct: "Adr. Hex" = Address/Offset in Hex; "0x" or "$" = denote hex values.

NES Palette Editor is nice because it gives a visual representation of colors in a NES rom and makes locating/editing them easier.

Dr. Chill

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2016, 05:59:59 pm »
I never thought such a tool would exist, let alone be this easy to use! I'm so glad you brought this to my attention!