News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Dragon Warrior Special Edition 1.3a - What does it do exactly?  (Read 3678 times)

PresidentLeever

• View Profile
    • Mini-Revver
Dragon Warrior Special Edition 1.3a - What does it do exactly?
« on: January 22, 2016, 07:02:16 pm »
There's no readme. Sorry if I'm posting on the wrong board.

The reason I ask is that I'd like to try the DQ series, from the beginning, and want to go as far back as possible in terms of the versions. But I'm rather picky when it comes to old interfaces and grinding, and I want as accurate a translation as possible, so perhaps this version still isn't the one to play.

What does everyone think is the best version of DQ1 to play giving the above criteria?

Mini-reviews, retro sound chip tribute, romhacks and general listage at my site: Mini-Revver.

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
Re: Dragon Warrior Special Edition 1.3a - What does it do exactly?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2016, 07:12:12 pm »
But I'm rather picky when it comes to ... grinding

I'm sorry, but it sounds like DQ is not for you. :laugh:

I don't know how it compares to the NES version but I thought the SNES remake looked wonderful. It's been a few years since I've played it though.

I actually haven't enjoyed or finished many of the DQ games. Most seem like grinding exercises with an action-adventure/fantasy story built around them. I haven't played DQ6, but have otherwise played 1-7. Only ones I liked were 4 and 5. I LOVE DQ5 and actually started replaying it recently.
Cigarettes, ice-cream, figurines of the Virgin Mary...

PresidentLeever

• View Profile
    • Mini-Revver
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2016, 07:17:33 pm »
Hehe, well, I'm not against using some codes to smooth things out in that respect and will be emulating so there's also fastforward. That's how I got through Phantasy Stars 2-3 recently.

Will be trying the SNES version, but I'd like to have that 8-bit feel for the first playthrough. So maybe the GBC game.
Mini-reviews, retro sound chip tribute, romhacks and general listage at my site: Mini-Revver.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2016, 10:11:20 pm »
Yeah, DQ1 is about 95% grinding. If you took that out, you would have a very short game.

The SFC version boosted the Exp/Gold drops of enemies.
I assume there's a mobile version of the game, but I haven't played it.

I'm guessing the GBC was very accurately translated (as in "literally translated" which is why it wouldn't surprise me if S-E now considers it a crappy translation, like the guy who shut down the DQ7 3DS fan-translation hinted the PS1 translation is considered subpar by current standards)
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Dr. Floppy

• Restricted Access
  • Make America GREAT Again!
    • View Profile
    • BaddestHacks.net
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2016, 10:39:19 am »
I played the original game on original hardware several Xmases ago, and found that the yellow-hilly region Northeast of Tantegel Castle (beyond the rocky crags) was a good place to fight Ghosts and efficiently gain Gold + EXP early-on in the game (say, Level 3+).

Also, please tell me you know of the pseudo-infinite Gold glitch that can be exploited to fuck and back as soon as you purchase keys from Rimuldar (~Level 9).

PresidentLeever

• View Profile
    • Mini-Revver
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2016, 02:15:16 pm »
I guess no one tried this hack yet then? But thanks for the other info.

Disch

• NES Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2016, 03:20:32 pm »
Also, please tell me you know of the pseudo-infinite Gold glitch that can be exploited to fuck and back as soon as you purchase keys from Rimuldar (~Level 9).

I just looked that up.  You don't get Exp from it though, which is primarily what you need to grind for.  So infinite gold is kind of worthless for how long that trick takes.

Spinner 8

• Pink Pretty Princess
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2016, 11:15:39 am »
I guess no one tried this hack yet then? But thanks for the other info.

It's just a graphics hack - it replaces most of the tiles and sprites with their Dragon Warrior IV counterparts.