News:

11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Main Menu

[PS2] Super Robot Wars MX translation project

Started by Rai, January 21, 2016, 11:05:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bring Stabity

Rai

Greenrose has finished translating the spirit descriptions.

Here's a screenshot of his translations:

LargoLaGrande

I always wanted to play this.

Good luck with the project. thanks for even trying. A menu, item patch would be also highly appreciated.

Rai

Quote from: LargoLaGrande on February 11, 2016, 10:53:34 AM
I always wanted to play this.

Good luck with the project. thanks for even trying. A menu, item patch would be also highly appreciated.
Thanks for the comment LargoLaGrande.

Lately I've been working on modifying the size of the command menu font to fit Greenrose's translations.

Here's a screenshot of the progress I've made :

BlackDog61

Looks good!
What is "disconnect" used for? Is it a special "units connection" mechanism for MX?

Bring Stabity

I'm pretty sure "Disconnect" is what's usually translated as "Separate", splitting a combined unit into its component units.

BlackDog61

Oh. I'd have found "Combine" and "Separate" more intuitive, but you guys choose.

Shuu

Quote from: BlackDog61 on February 14, 2016, 02:25:22 PM
Oh. I'd have found "Combine" and "Separate" more intuitive, but you guys choose.

disconect command is for evangelion units

BlackDog61

Quote from: Shuu on February 14, 2016, 02:29:00 PM
Ah! That makes total sense, indeed. Thanks!

Bring Stabity

Quote from: Shuu on February 14, 2016, 02:29:00 PM

In hindsight, I obviously should have looked at the unit that was selected.

Greenrose

For the time being, I've translated 分離 as 'Detach', since it applies to stuff like the Re-GZ's BWS too and Separate didn't seem quite right. It'll probably stay that way until the menu patch at least but I'm certainly going to go over everything before the final patch, so if people are really attached to Separate then I'll take that into consideration.

ObiKKa

Loving your work so far! Those 3D mech units do look cute. I don't know why Bandai didn't bother with releasing this game to the West! Greenrose, perhaps the 'Dismount' command word is a more elegant use of the 'Detach'/'Disconnect' term that is being used at the moment? Or maybe your wordings are more accurate if the pilot just wanted to disconnect from controlling their mech unit?

Zynk

Quote from: ObiKKa on February 15, 2016, 02:33:03 AM
I don't know why Bandai didn't bother with releasing this game to the West!
Banpresto does not only license the game, they also need some licenses for those anime titles, and releasing the game to the West is a lot of paperwork because of that, except for OG where most of the characters are Banpresto's.

Bring Stabity

Interestingly enough, SRW GC (which is going to join the OG universe in the next game OG: Moon Dwellers) is one of the few games where Banpresto doesn't own the rights to a bunch of the mechs.

Edit: Spelling note. This should be the correct spelling of the one guy from Dragonar that's giving us problems with transliterating his name: Dorchenov (Дopчeнoв)

Greenrose

Quote from: ObiKKa on February 15, 2016, 02:33:03 AM
Loving your work so far! Those 3D mech units do look cute. I don't know why Bandai didn't bother with releasing this game to the West! Greenrose, perhaps the 'Dismount' command word is a more elegant use of the 'Detach'/'Disconnect' term that is being used at the moment? Or maybe your wordings are more accurate if the pilot just wanted to disconnect from controlling their mech unit?

Ah, no, 'Disconnect' and 'Detach' are two different commands. 'Disconnect' is for disconnecting the Umbliical Cable from EVA units, and 'Detach' is for things like decombining combined units or ejecting the BWS.

EDIT: Also, you can't have a pilot dismount from their unit in SRW, you can only have the pilot switch which unit they're controlling in the intermission.

Rai

Hey guys. Lately I've been working on perfecting my script tools. Super Robot Wars MX stores text in a lot of different ways and the tools must be able to handle them.

One of the biggest challenges with MX is dealing with text where the pointers are out of order. However, I've updated my script tools to deal with the out of order pointers. This means that my tools can now basically dump and reinsert any of the menu text.

Here's a screenshot showing text with out of order pointers, reinserted back into the game:

Now all that's left to do text-wise is to dump and reinsert the menu text. There are also a few ASM related things I need to fix. Once the text is inserted and the ASM stuff is dealt with; I'll probably release a menu patch.

Shieru

I just had to create an account here to say "Thank you". I've been able to enjoy many games thanks to translation patches because of people like you. :thumbsup: :cookie:

Rai

Greenrose has been making a lot of progress on translating menus.

Here's a screenshots of his translations in game:

Rai

I've started making menu hacking progress.

See the text below "Battle Stats"? Originally that text was overlapping with the numbers. However,  I was able to find the values that controlled the positions of the numbers and changed them.

This means that more text will be able to fit on screen.