News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Pokemon Crystal Balancing  (Read 6447 times)

PRIZZA

• View Profile
    • Aeon Rivals
Pokemon Crystal Balancing
« on: April 18, 2011, 06:11:48 pm »
Hey everyone,

I've been working with a few Roms as of late, namely Pokémon Crystal.

I've been changing pointers here and there, and slightly altering maps and such. Simple ASM hacking, stuff like that. I have a much larger endeavor, however.

I'd like to invite anyone who is knowledgeable on the subject of professional Pokémon battling with this project. I've went through Smogons G/S/C section in the competitive battling sections and understand that quite a few Pokemon, namely the ones in UU and NU are simply bad Pokémon. Their stats, movesets or both have caused them to be miserable, unused Pokemon. I'd like the change this!

I am looking for someone to help me balance out all 252 Pokémon in Pokemon Crystal. I'm capable ASM editing the new Pokémon stats (still researching on changing their movesets, but I'm sure it's not too hard), and need someone to tell me why some Pokémon are bad and what we can do to improve them in their own unique way. I want every single fully evolved Pokémon to be viable in a tournament setting. What's the use of having Pokémon in the game if their useless or incompetent in terms of battling?

I was thinking of making all of the Pokémons stat average to range from something like 530-540, so they all have an equal fighting chance. Some Pokémon stats may vary since their movesets determine how they fight as well, and I'm not sure how to tie that in. I'm also considering removing the OHKOs, although I need suggestions about that as well.

I look forward to your responses!  :cookie:

Kiyoshi Aman

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • Browncoat Captain
    • View Profile
    • Aerdan's Blog
Re: Pokemon Crystal Balancing
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2011, 07:21:10 pm »
I'm not sure you really understand how Pokémon is intended to work. A fair chunk of them are intended to suck unless you put a lot of effort into making them better; if this weren't intended they'd have fixed it in later games or remakes like Heart Gold.

Chpexo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2011, 08:05:22 pm »
« Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 11:43:45 am by Chpexo »

Panzer88

• GENO means ♥♪!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2011, 08:57:01 pm »
What's the use of having Pokémon in the game if their useless or incompetent in terms of battling?

I think it's a nice sentiment you have here, but ultimately pokemon are like people, not all of them are good for battle, some are just there to be cute, or weird.

That's not to say that the game couldn't use some balancing. or that you could do this even though some pokemon aren't designed to be warriors, simply because it would make the game more interesting for tournament players.
Donate now until 24 April, from the makers of shotwell Geary: a new open-source email client

PRIZZA

• View Profile
    • Aeon Rivals
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2011, 09:23:29 pm »
I do understand that it adds to the charm of the game, and that not all Pokemon can be team players, but in my perfect world all Pokemon could be viable. I feel especially bad for some of the Pokemon that could be used but for a few silly reasons (like they're only lacking in a stat) they aren't whatsoever. 

I went looking for Hack-O-Matic, and it seems to be a pretty solid program, but I don't seem to be able to locate any versions that are compatible with Pokemon Crystal.

Thanks for the comments so far, though!

Panzer88

• GENO means ♥♪!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2011, 11:03:58 pm »
yeah, don't take my comment the wrong way. Any work on the game is a positive experience for the hacker, and the hack player.

It doesn't have to be seen as "fixing" the game so much as creating "Pokemon Crystal: Tournament Edition"

it's a compelling idea.
Donate now until 24 April, from the makers of shotwell Geary: a new open-source email client

xnamkcor

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2011, 02:01:10 am »
Pokemon is Darwin + Cock Fighting, not Darwin + Nintendogs

BRPXQZME

• じー
    • View Profile
    • The BRPXQZME Network
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2011, 02:06:51 am »
The Pokémon concept of evolution is nothing like Darwin’s.
we are in a horrible and deadly danger

xnamkcor

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2011, 02:13:37 am »
Your truth has no place in my attempt at witty hyperbole.

PRIZZA

• View Profile
    • Aeon Rivals
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2011, 04:52:08 am »
I verbally laughed at Pokemon Crystal: Tournament Edition. I might even use that, crediting you of course.

Haha too good, too good. I agree, Pokemon should be more of a fighter than a "look, it's farfetch'd. He sits there and stuff."

April 20, 2011, 07:16:14 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
I'm not sure you really understand how Pokémon is intended to work. A fair chunk of them are intended to suck unless you put a lot of effort into making them better; if this weren't intended they'd have fixed it in later games or remakes like Heart Gold.

In response to this, I understand how Pokemon works. In what way do you mean "unless you put a lot of effort into making them better". What ways can you do this other than paying attention to DVs, Movesets, and of course the Pokemons level? The items you can give your pokemon to hold only go so far as well. All I'm saying it show me a Ledian or a Mantine that can stand up to anything and then I'll reconsider my decision.

All I would really like is to give all Pokemon a fighting chance when it comes to battling, so teams may vary more rather than seeing the same repeating Pokemon all the time... Although it's not like theres a whole lot of GCS players as it is right now, but I digress.

Thanks for the comments, as always.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 07:16:14 pm by PRIZZA »

Miksy91

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2011, 08:36:11 am »
The evolution system is exactly the same in Crystal as in Gold & Silver, it's just located in other part in the rom.
It looks like this: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showpost.php?p=5100770

To edit the stats of all pokemon, you can use a stats editor.
Get one http://swamperttools.webs.com/downloads.htm.
Pokemon Dark Energy is a rom hack based on Pokemon Silver. Like most pokemon hacks, it retains the pokemon stylish gameplay but has plenty of elements from other RPGs as well. You'd better check it out!

PRIZZA

• View Profile
    • Aeon Rivals
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2011, 06:35:48 pm »
Thank you for the attack and evolution information, Miksy91. That takes the pain out of finding the address. Also, using a pokemon editor would also make things easier, so I'll probably be using that rather than doing it manually.

Kiyoshi Aman

• Browncoat Captain
    • View Profile
    • Aerdan's Blog
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2011, 02:24:25 am »
In all honesty, if you really wanted a more balanced Pokémon hack, I would suggest fixing the AI scripts; they cheat, especially later on in the game.

Xenesis

• Syogun Changer
    • View Profile
    • Wars World News
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2011, 08:42:56 pm »
I wouldn't bother trying to balance out the Non-Final Evolutions beyond things like say, Scyther who have evolutions that are more re-adjustments than statboosts.

Anyhow, a lot of the bad pokemon are bad because their typing/stats aren't up to the task, they lack the movepool or there's another pokemon that quite supremely trumps them.

Best example: Any pokemon which would be a solid physical or special wall needs to do SOMETHING better than say, Skarmory or Blissey which are the best walls of their type. Ledian has stats that seem to be geared towards taking special hits, but it has neither the typing or HP to make use of its nice special defence. Same goes for say, Mantine.

Some pokemon can have fun with unique items to, a la the Stick, Thick Club or light ball - they make situationally usable pokemon from what are otherwise pretty bad ones.

Super4ng

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2016, 02:58:53 pm »
Hello, Prizza I realize that this thread is quite old, but hoping for the chance that anyone sees this, I want to do the exact same thing: to create a more balanced tournament viable mod of crystal.  The community for this game is small, but I think a well made mod would go a long way to revitalize the community.  If you no longer have time for this project, I would love to pick up where you left off.  I cant seem to find any tutorials on how to add/create new moves, change typings or stats.  I made a profile on this site just to put this message out there.  Hope someone sees this!