News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Hell Battle: The Battle For Hell  (Read 2126 times)

Rotwang

• View Profile
Hell Battle: The Battle For Hell
« on: January 02, 2016, 02:34:38 pm »
Hell Battle: The Battle For Hell is a graphics and level hack of Karate Champ. In this hack, two damned souls beat each other up on an ever changing hellscape of hellish locations (and some non-locations). The ROM has been expanded and the background information modified. In the original rom, three sets of three levels would each share one CHR bank and paltry amount of metatiles between them. This is not nearly enough to even make anything worthwhile in the original game, so my good friend Dr. Floppy rigged it so that each level has its own CHR bank and metatiles.

Not only that, but three weeks ago I started teaching myself C# programming language, which is my first high level programming language as 6502/65816 ASM is my first and only known programming language. As of yesterday, I finished a fully functioning level editor for this modified Hell Battle ROM, which I have called Battle Axe. It reads the raw 2bpp image data, background map tables, metatile tables, and attribute tables and allows one to create and modify metatiles and place them on the background map with the selected attributes. It has been tested and works 100%. This marks a new era of tool creation for the Baddesthacks crew which should hopefully allow us to further push the envelope for how technically involved a bad hack can get.

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
Re: Hell Battle: The Battle For Hell
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2016, 03:30:55 pm »
Cool. I recognize that artwork. :)

Also, interesting hack idea.
War is Peace. Freedom is Slavery. Ignorance is Strength.

Dr. Floppy

• Restricted Access
  • Make America GREAT Again!
    • View Profile
    • BaddestHacks.net
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2016, 11:32:30 pm »
Cool. I recognize that artwork. :)

Stephen Gammell is from Iowa.  :D

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2016, 11:44:18 pm »
Stephen Gammell is from Iowa.  :D

Cool. I always thought "Scary Stories..." was funny but holy shit did those illustrations freak me out as a kid. They were so weird. I could live to be 1000 years old and I will never forget the feeling they gave me. It's like they all came form a world where everything was dead and rotting, yet unfortunately somehow still alive. But so much worse... They were creepy but they were also sort of depressing.
War is Peace. Freedom is Slavery. Ignorance is Strength.

Dr. Floppy

• Restricted Access
  • Make America GREAT Again!
    • View Profile
    • BaddestHacks.net
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2016, 08:24:49 pm »
In a way, they're uplifting.

On one hand, you have billions of dollars of CGI effects produced by Hollywood over the past generation. And then over here, you've got some guy from Iowa with monochromatic watercolors. Who wins the Nightmare Fuel showdown?

Quick Curly

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2016, 05:57:59 pm »
Wow! I must say, this is great work and very impressive! I checked out the official project thread on BHDN, and noticed that you plan to release everything together upon completion. I'm excited about your continuous progress! Best of luck! You can do it! :beer:

Rotwang

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2016, 05:20:16 am »
Thanks!

I just made a new background for this game using my editor. This background is pretty graphic and disturbing and definitely NOT SAFE FOR WORK, so I'm linking it:

NSFWhttp://i.imgur.com/rhoIO5z.pngNSFW
« Last Edit: January 10, 2016, 11:50:55 pm by Rotwang »