News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Dragon Quest turns 30 this year.  (Read 3302 times)

Spooniest

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • Ain't got no berf cer-fi-ti-cate on me now
    • View Profile
Dragon Quest turns 30 this year.
« on: January 13, 2016, 06:31:02 am »
Coincidentally, also the maximum character level in the first game. So if you've been leveling up once a year since Dragon Quest came out, congratulations, you may now beat the stuffing out of DragonLord.

So I understand that SE had a press conference that licked balls today. Screw those fat cats.

Let's have a DQ-Themed Romhacking Feature today to defy them, and on May 27th this year (Dragon Quest's 30th Anniversary) I will beat Dragon Quest on a NES, using a file I started when I was 14, 20 years ago. :D

What's the state of the Dragon Quest hacks on RHDN? Are they interesting to play? Anything weird? Goofy? Ball blisteringly hard? Funny? Inside jokes?

Let us discuss DQ hacks, then.

NINJA EDIT: Good morning, Crono!
I never wanted to work in a pet shop, you know. I wanted to be...a lumberjack.

magictrufflez

• View Profile
Re: Dragon Quest turns 30 this year.
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2016, 10:32:35 am »
The DQ Randomizer is probable my favorite utility that jacks around with most locations and monsters, and allows me to get those XP/Gold values to tolerable levels!  The only sad part is that there is a chance that Erdricks Cave will be where the first town is........and Erdricks Sword is in the chest inside.  Which is exactly what I got the first time I fired the randomizer up.  When I'm done playing another hack I'm working through, I'll probably give the randomizer another go.

DragoonX Omega is pretty great as long as you play with the double XP/Money hack.  The full-on grinding of the original is just too much for me anymore, but setting, narrative, and everything else minus the music is pretty good!

SC

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2016, 12:49:00 pm »
NINJA EDIT: Good morning, Crono!
You made me believe SE made a Chrono Trigger announcement, dammit! :-\

So sad they did nothing for its 20th anniversary... (like, a cell-shaded remake announcement at E3?) :'(

On topic now: Rather than hacks (unless it's a full new DQ engine based game) I'd personally be more interested in a good finished Dragon Quest III (Super Famicom version) translation.

Spooniest

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • Ain't got no berf cer-fi-ti-cate on me now
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2016, 01:23:54 pm »
You made me believe SE made a Chrono Trigger announcement, dammit! :-\

It would be nice. Sorry bro
I never wanted to work in a pet shop, you know. I wanted to be...a lumberjack.

Gideon Zhi

• IRC Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2016, 04:11:27 pm »
On topic now: Rather than hacks (unless it's a full new DQ engine based game) I'd personally be more interested in a good finished Dragon Quest III (Super Famicom version) translation.

You mean like this one which has been available since 2009?

I'd be interested in similar for DQ 6 myself though.

Bobolicious81

• Keeper of the Taco Sandwich
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2016, 05:12:29 pm »
I'm looking forward to Ghetto Warrior with baited breasts.

I've been a fan since I got the original from that Nintendo Power promotion way back when. Someone should take this opportunity to hack the title screens of the NES and Gameboy installments to say Dragon Quest instead of Dragon Warrior, because I'm too lazy to do it myself.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2016, 11:25:41 pm »
Yuji Hori showed the crowd his personal vacation photos the crowd's been waiting to see?

Wouldn't be the worst press conference ever. Didn't Konami once not even show up to theirs? :P
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Idkbutlike2

• Beer Chozo
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2016, 12:36:01 am »
Yuji Hori showed the crowd his personal vacation photos the crowd's been waiting to see?
That would have been the best subliminal message.

"Stop playing DQ and go outside, people! This is what you're missing!"

joe73ffdq

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2016, 04:35:36 am »
I cant believe I didnt see this already.

Im pretty sure some of you are familiar with me. Here is a good reason to put forth a story.

Commodore Vic 20 in 83. Intellivision in 86. NES, SMS, GEN, and CMD64, played at friends or sisters house, til Christmas of 89, when I got the NES. Strider, SMB1, and DW, were the initial 3 games. I had already completed a few games, for a few systems, but now I wasnt limited from games that required saves.

DW, automatically took off well with me. It took D&D, and put it into a more desirable format. I played it almost exclusively, and it was around this time of year, mid January in 1990, that I had completed it. That was one helluva great year in gaming for me. SMB3 in March, Super C in April, Crystalis in May, FF1 July, DW2 September, CV3 in October, and many other games I was able to complete, now that I had the system. I remember a friend sold me, Zelda 1 and Deadly Towers, in March or April of 90, and now I wasnt limited to how far I could progress.

Its funny how I see this topic, and my 4th or 5th favorite game of all time is DW2, which is the current game I turned my attention to. I will say this exactly, for how my feel for RPGs are. DW2, is the playable Wizardry, Ultima Exodus, or Might and Magic. It is brutally hard, and has the interface I prefer. Never cared for mapping out everything on graph paper, but I did (almost) complete Ultima. In the late 90's, I progressed through about 2/3 of it, had over 2000 for HP and Food, and then the battery died, which was in 97 or 98. Never completed Ultima or the original Metroid, and those were the years I finally tried. Metroid never got completed, because the NP issue, 33 or 34 I think, came up missing, and having maps was crucial to my interest.

FF1, DW3, DW4, , FF4, and to a lesser extent, FF6, Chrono, Mana, Evermore, and then FF7 and FF9, were the games that got almost all the focus in the 90's. I got REALLY stuck on FF2, FF3, FF5, and DW5, not being released, and kind of drifted from gaming during the PS1/N64 era. Yes I did enjoy KI, MK2, and SF2, but I felt screwed on quality intellectual games, for the trend towards extreme violent games. 3D took a while to get used to, and even though I never owned the N64, I did progress through about 1/3 of Mario 64 and Ocarina.

Cant openly discuss things like this on Gamefaqs, but drugs and alcohol played a huge part in the drift away. Im not afraid to admit this, so I will say it. Between March and June of 1993, I sold 4 systems, over 200 games, and FF1, DW2-4, and select classics of about 17-18 games, was all that was left that summer. I was actually substance free til 7-8 months after I graduated high school. I had an interest in programming and accounting, and in short, I fucked it up.

Phantasy Star III was the main focus in spring of 93, along with Mana later that year. Other then those 2, til Breath of Fire and FF6 in 94, I wasnt paying attention games as much. There was a little bit of a come back in 95, with Chrono, Evermore, MarioRPG, Pitfall32x, DraculaX, KI, and BOF2. It was in late 95 (I think), that the Enix newsletters I was getting, had concluded that DW5,6,1+2 and 7th Saga 2, were not coming. More nails in the coffin for my gaming.

The only real highlight for the rest of the 90's, was Crusin USA, and the skiing games they had at the mall. I played fighting games over a friends house, but I would play NES, GEN, or SNES at home. FF7, FF9, , Anthology, Chronicles, Symphony, and I think that was it for games released in the late 90's.

I did play many of the common platformers on SNES and PS1. DKC or Crash Bandicoot, ect. My gaming wasnt empty, but my focus wasnt there, except familiar classics.

Here are the only games completed since 2000.

DW1-3 GBA. I can almost compete with nfrazee in a still saved file on DW3, with 158/165 medals, over 120 silver, and about 70 gold.

I didnt complete DW7, but it is a worthy mention. For about 2-3 years I played it regularly. I dont remember all the names, but 1 save file got erased in region 11, another in region 8, and the 3rd time through, I fizzled out from pulling a veghester. Ultra hit 4 times per turn killed the game, and no strategy worked, because I was over powered either way. I was at the 2 warring kingdoms, region 17, and I cant remember the names. Region 8 I clearly know, and I worked for the dolphin shield every time. Between the story and the variety, it nearly ties 2 and 3, with 3,2,7,5,4,9,8,6 being the order. I will admit that DW2 only ranks that high, because of the memories associated to it, with 3,7, and 9 reigning supreme game play wise. I played and completed Symphony during this time

All the FF remakes in the mid 2000's got the attention. The only 2 game completions for new games were, DQ8 in late summer of 06, about 8-9 months after its release, and was the reason for a PS2 purchase. New SMB was the other new game completed, with every medal for every level.

To fully bring this story to a close, my daughter was born in 2007, and a major life change for the better unfolded. I got my first modern pc in Sept 2009, and spent 2 full years collecting full rom sets for about 12 classic systems. It stands at about 10,320, and ranges from Atari to PS1 and GBA. I wiped this site clean in 2010/11, just for the sake of completion. I tested it also. 2110 NES games, with the only duplicates being US/EU/JP, and almost every patch here at rhdn and zophars, up through late 2011. It was FF6A for a while after that, and wanting to hack FF6A, lead to my obsession with FF1 since 2013.

Thats where Im at now. Pretty much only wanting to create documentation, and almost no game play. Its been over 2 weeks since I tried a no death challenge in SMB1. I now have about 20-25 no death runs in about 5 years. I have only made it to 7-2 once for a no hit run. Ghosts n Goblins in 2-3 deaths is average when I play it for a few weeks. I hope to eventually get a no death run in Castlevania, and Ninja Gaiden is out of the question, because anything past Malroth is just insane. SMB2 with no deaths is easy if I am patient. 2 no knock down completions in MTPO, which were actually back then in 90 or 91, and that first minute and a half always gets me now.

Hacking FF1 has been the main focus overall though, til my full devotion to DW2. I have tripled my expectations, with a shit load of finds. The only thing inaccessible is map editing. Enemy attacks and RNG, are the only pertinent information I havent found yet. I just found the keys yesterday, and if I can figure out the code structure, then a final key will be made. Treasures and battle formations arent figured out yet, but I know where they are. Everything to do with characters and equipment is already laid out. I just need to find how to change the properties of all items, so more shields and helmets can be had. Expanding past the limit of 8 for item holding and RNG, would be the main things I would ask help for right now, if anyone is interested.

Hope everyone doesnt mind such a long winded story, so I will close by saying this.

I literally had a rod set up, so I could easily hit reset for DW3-4. My DW3 save file died in 98 or 99, and I had about 15 developed characters, all in the mid 50's. I didnt bother with the low gains after 60. MP over 500 for a few, 790 for a soldier, over 500 HP for all, 255 in a lot of stats, over 180 for weaker stats, except strength for a wizard or luck for a soldier. All spells for everyone, including the goof off. Game genie codes in both 3 and 4, and now to 4. All characters in the mid to high 60's, with Nara over 80. Ragnar 835 HP, hero 750 HP, Brey 670 MP, Mara 630 MP, weaker stats ranged from 120-200. Many of my friends who were playing FF7 or Ocarina, would frequently comment on me being stuck on the NES, and that rod to hit reset was a conversation piece.

I didnt care about any of the modern games and a lot of the music, except a certain selection.

In closing, my ultimate hacking dreams, are the following.

INT properties applied to DW3-4. 30% increase in damage at level 15, 50% at 30, double at 40, and triple at 60-65.
Damage with attack and magic reaching 5/6000 in FF1
We need a normal leveling system for FF2.

Final thought.

In July of 1995, I was over a friends house, and got to see DQ5 played on his pc, and even though it was still untranslated, it is a day I remember really well.

tvtoon

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2016, 07:40:42 pm »
Dragon Quest 6 and 7 are far more enjoyable than others... That good job system was totally lost in 8, and inexplicably crapped with some weird and upgraded mix from 3 and 8, in 9. Now the series future is being another MMORPG, not even successful in Japan since everything else is aeons away already...

For hacks, DXOmega and I hope that randomizers get the series soon... :)

joe73ffdq

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2016, 02:49:29 am »
Sorry about the long winded emotional post. Here is a relevant comment concerning my love for DQ.

As I stated before, I was playing DW3-4 and FF1 regularly throughout the 90's, and the 2000's did revitalize my gaming experience. DW3 and DW7 were a huge deal to me in 01, and kept me more then happy for years.

DQ8 kind of caught me off guard. I didnt find out about it until the fall, just before its release. I bought the PS2 for the first time in Jan/Feb 2006, specifically for DQ8. I bought about 5 games, and played DQ8 almost exclusively, except for MMX Collection. I cant even remember the other PS2 games, other then Namco Museum. DQ8 and the GBA FF remakes, got all the attention right up through 2008, except for NSMB, which was a DS purchase in summer of 06. I completed everything in DQ8, with characters built up to the mid 60's, for that final spell or skill for the hero. No cheats at all, which is the surprising part.

I obsessed all summer in 08 for DQ4. I picked up a NP issue at Rite Aide in June, and read and reread about it several times. Im pretty sure I got it on release day, and wasnt even done with it when 5 came out. I did the whole reset level up thing, which was quicker in this version, because Taloon stole more frequently, which made me less picky. I went to replay it a year or so ago, and had a file with 141 hours (no post game), which I regretfully erased to start over, and only got to chapter 3.

I was devoted to 5 almost as much for a while, but played it kind of slowly, and then lent it out to a friend who was interested in playing it. She ended up moving abruptly, and I didnt remember her parents number, so that and the guide were gone. I got to the tower in the southwest, which I dont remember the name. I played the SNES version up to the mines in 2011, which I believe is close to the end. Here is the weird thing with this play through. I got a new laptop because the one I had was kind of shot, and there was massive lag on the new one, with the savestate I was using. It was almost unplayable, so it never got finished.

DQ9 caused the biggest obsession almost ever, which is ridiculous for someone in their 30's. I was looking obsessively everyday, and I was one of the first to catch the announcement. I believe it was around 1-2 pm, and May 19 2010 is a very well remembered day. The 6 week wait was hell, and then I regretfully fizzled out around Coffinwell. My ocd couldnt keep up with the quests, and I was disappointed with too small of enemy groups. The spell arrangement for upper tier classes, didnt appeal to me, so the grinding approach I would have wanted, woulndt have yielded me the sage I would want. All the backtracking necessary for quests was the huge slowdown though, and then my overkill with AR codes made me lose interest.

Not DQ, but similar in April of 2011 for FF4CC, with massive amounts of obsession, only to do none of the post game again.

DQ7. This is where my face appeared on these gaming sites for the first time. DQ7 was announced, on or near the anniversary of the american PS1 release, Oct 30 2012. I obsessed about this one emphatically, as anyone who was on the DQ7 board in 2013 would know. FF6A and then not knowingly FF1, was meant to be a diversion, and I didnt expect a new addiction. Once we got Reggies tweet on 10/29/13, I was convinced, and started to let it go. I knew it was going to be a while, and I had plenty to keep me busy.

I am confident I will play quite a bit of DQ7 when it gets here this summer. I am familiar with the first 17 regions, so that will help me keep up. Finally, a DQ with really good graphics, and that will play a huge part in keeping my interest, like with 8. I knew it was going to be a while for a DQ with excellent graphics, but I did not expect a 10 1/2 year wait after DQ8. Im not stressing the few more months to wait, but I am looking forward to actually playing a game this summer, and hopefully I can share the time between hacking and DQ7.

tvtoon

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2016, 10:07:13 am »
I didn't like most DQ remakes, except for the 3 and 4, but this 7 one looks promising because of the replay factor. :)

Bahamut ZERO

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2016, 01:50:39 pm »
Man I remember first playing Dragon Quest as Dragon Warrior I & II for the GBC back when I was in middle school. I remember thinking to myself, "Finally an decent RPG to play besides Pokemon and Harry Potter!"

It took awhile for me to realize the series was muchc bigger than a couple kickass Game Boy games lol.  My favorite one is tied between Dragon Quest III on SNES and Dragon Quest VIII on PS2.

Now that I think about it, I REALLY wish they'd remake Dragon Quest I on PS4 in a similar style as VIII.

Like Super Mario Land? Then you'll love my first completed Rom Hack: Maniac on the Run!