News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Super Mario Bros. 2 - The Nightmare Of Bowser  (Read 12202 times)

Sephirous

• View Profile
Super Mario Bros. 2 - The Nightmare Of Bowser
« on: January 12, 2016, 08:13:21 pm »
Hey Everybody,

Almost everyone that played Mario 2 growing up noticed the change of characters and the absence of Bowser.
So what I have been working on this last couple of days is a hack that will convert all the enemies and some other stuff into what at least I expected Super Mario 2 would be more like.
The first game I played in the series was Mario 3 and then the original Mario.
So when I finally got to Mario 2..I was like where are the Goombas and most importantly who in gods names is Wart?!!?
Now of course its common knowledge about Doki Doki Panic and why we ended up with the USA version of Mario 2.

So here we go....

I spent the last couple of days trying to convert Wart into Bowser.
It's not complete yet, I still have to edit the Palette and make a couple more adjustments.

Here are a couple pictures of what I have done so far.....

January 12, 2016, 09:06:48 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Bowser Palette All Done.

« Last Edit: January 12, 2016, 09:06:50 pm by Sephirous »

Trax

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
    • Trax ROM Hacking
Re: Super Mario Bros. 2 - The Nightmare Of Bowser
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2016, 09:12:23 pm »
Hmmm, nice going. Is it the Bowser from SMB3?

The bubbles could be replaced with hammers, and with some ASM, add a secondary attack of fireballs. The Autobot's fireball comes to mind...

Sephirous

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2016, 09:19:55 pm »

joe73ffdq

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2016, 02:00:57 am »
This looks really cool.

SMB2 is one of those games I enjoy revisiting every couple years, comfortably going through every level in about 90 minutes.

Some of the hacks are alright, with Blob 2 being the best.

It would be really enjoyable to play vanilla SMB2, with enemies from the regular Mario series.

Sephirous

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2016, 02:35:47 am »
I never understood why they gave this stage such a eye piercing back ground color.
This looks a lot better.

January 13, 2016, 02:40:59 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Hmmm, nice going. Is it the Bowser from SMB3?

The bubbles could be replaced with hammers, and with some ASM, add a secondary attack of fireballs. The Autobot's fireball comes to mind...

Yes, That is the Bowser from Mario 3. I originally thought of using The Original Bowser from Mario/Lost Levels.
I may try that too just for a test. My goal is to make it look as if the later games were not out yet and this was actually released back in the 80's/90s. But we will see what happens.

I was thinking of using Hammers as well like in the later stages of the first game. Right now I have Tri-Clydes fire balls in replace of the bubbles. I'll mess around with other items at some point too.

January 13, 2016, 03:32:32 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
I changed the intro screen so it looks more like the All-Stars Version as well as converted the Goomba Sprite.
However this messes up the Life Bar colors making it complicated to read. I might remove the actual life bar altogether as seen that the other Mario games don't have life bars as much as you just know better than to get hit twice. I don't know how this will effect the extra mushrooms you can obtain. I will run further tests later on involving that.

January 13, 2016, 01:14:54 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Scratch all the worries I had about the health bar, It seems sometimes I am hasty when it comes to throwing in the towel.
Once I put my mind into it, I figured it out.

January 14, 2016, 12:38:16 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
After working with Stage 1, I decided to change the empty black doors and add an actual door in their place.
I believe this was done in All-Stars only with Elevator Type Doors.

January 14, 2016, 01:12:35 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
I have converted all Birdos to her/his trademark color.

« Last Edit: January 14, 2016, 01:12:39 am by Sephirous »

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2016, 03:37:53 pm »
Seeing the Goomba's in there makes me wonder what the game might play like if they were squishable and you could gain height by holding jump after.

Quick Curly

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2016, 12:35:04 pm »
I really dig this idea! It's always great to see some more Super Mario Bros. 2 hacks getting worked on. :woot!:

I gather the main objective is to convert all the enemies into what you expected the game would be more like, but do you think that you might be interested in creating a level hack out of this new representation? :)
From what I understand and can remember from way back when I tried to use the level editors myself, they aren't necessarily the easiest to work with until you probably get used to them, but it could enhance this hack even more. :D

Not that you have to though. Just expressing my interest. I hope that your motivation continues to grow as you continue to work on your project. Best of luck! You can do it! :beer:

EDIT: Oops. Sorry. I also meant to ask, since I was curious; what exactly did you do to fix the health bar colours? Did you change the graphics themselves in a graphics editor, or did you change which part of the palette the graphics use in a hex editor? Either way, it's great that you figured it out for yourself. :)

Sephirous

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2016, 05:57:11 pm »
I really dig this idea! It's always great to see some more Super Mario Bros. 2 hacks getting worked on. :woot!:

I gather the main objective is to convert all the enemies into what you expected the game would be more like, but do you think that you might be interested in creating a level hack out of this new representation? :)
From what I understand and can remember from way back when I tried to use the level editors myself, they aren't necessarily the easiest to work with until you probably get used to them, but it could enhance this hack even more. :D

Not that you have to though. Just expressing my interest. I hope that your motivation continues to grow as you continue to work on your project. Best of luck! You can do it! :beer:

EDIT: Oops. Sorry. I also meant to ask, since I was curious; what exactly did you do to fix the health bar colours? Did you change the graphics themselves in a graphics editor, or did you change which part of the palette the graphics use in a hex editor? Either way, it's great that you figured it out for yourself. :)

The Health Bar is used with the same Palette as the Red Shy Guys, So I removed all the Red ones and replaced them with the Pink Shy Guys. The Pink Shy Guys use a separate palette not connected to the Health Bar. So I edited the Palette that the Pink ones are connected to and changed that one into Goomba Colors, Leaving the Red ones the color Red. Which keeps the Health Bar its original color.

I am currently using a Graphics Editor, Palette Editor And A Hex Editor here and there.
But not much because Hex Editing is the hardest for me to grasp.

Trax

• View Profile
    • Trax ROM Hacking
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2016, 01:46:59 am »
How did you set the Bowser sprites to have 4 colors? In the screenshot with the dark blue background, we can clearly see black, white, yellow and green. Does Bowser/Wart have two sets of sprites on top of each other?

Sky_Yoshi

• I hate programmings!
    • View Profile
    • My links
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2016, 02:10:39 am »
You should make the underground music to make it the same to the Prototype.
Hi! I'm Sky Yoshi, a Japanese RomHacker.
I am an beginner of a RomHacker and I'm here because I am interested.
I am trying to hack the stages of SMB1

snarfblam

• Submission Reviewer
  • CANT HACK METROID
    • View Profile
    • snarfblam
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2016, 03:51:25 pm »
How did you set the Bowser sprites to have 4 colors? In the screenshot with the dark blue background, we can clearly see black, white, yellow and green. Does Bowser/Wart have two sets of sprites on top of each other?

Here? I only see white, green, and yellow. It looks like the "outline" is actually transparent, just showing through to the solid background.

Sephirous

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2016, 08:33:37 pm »
Here? I only see white, green, and yellow. It looks like the "outline" is actually transparent, just showing through to the solid background.

Yes,
It's an illusion.
The outlining is actually the background color.

Trax

• View Profile
    • Trax ROM Hacking
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2016, 06:24:19 pm »
Yeah, that's right. So it's all fine and dandy. Although having more colors for Bowser would be cool, indeed...

Sephirous

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2016, 02:23:57 am »
Hey Everyone,

I need some insight on making a decision.

Which Goomba do you think should be used in the game?

Or...

Zynk

• WIP Roll-chan: The Wily Wars
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2016, 02:32:35 am »
I'm not sure, but isn't it illogical that you include goombas in a game where you can step on enemies that inevitably killing them? If it were koopa troopas or buzzy beetles tho

Sephirous

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2016, 03:30:57 am »
I'm not sure, but isn't it illogical that you include goombas in a game where you can step on enemies that inevitably killing them? If it were koopa troopas or buzzy beetles tho

I gave the beetles a try but something looks wrong with them in my opinion.
I'll continue trying different things.

Zynk

• WIP Roll-chan: The Wily Wars
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2016, 04:52:57 am »
You could add the goombas back, it will add a "WTF goombas still alive when I step on 'em"-thing.  :laugh:

Maybe you should concentrate on which Mario sprites you want to use. If its Mario 3 enemy sprites, try making all of them as that, same if you want to use Mario 1 for consistency.

MathUser2929

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2016, 10:26:22 am »
If you go with goombas go with the SMB3 goombas. You need the outline around it to fit in with the other graphics.

snarfblam

• Submission Reviewer
  • CANT HACK METROID
    • View Profile
    • snarfblam
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2016, 07:10:33 pm »
My vote would be for the SMB3 goombas, but it doesn't seem right jumping on a goomba and not having it get squashed.

J^P

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2016, 07:27:15 pm »
My vote would be for the SMB3 goombas, but it doesn't seem right jumping on a goomba and not having it get squashed.
What about galoombas(SMW goombas)?