News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Editing Pokémon Gen I Battle Sprites? **ANSWERED**  (Read 3858 times)

Josephine Lithius

• THE WORLD IS MINE!!
    • View Profile
    • Jo Li KMC @ Tumblr
Editing Pokémon Gen I Battle Sprites? **ANSWERED**
« on: January 10, 2016, 08:43:38 pm »
I'm sure this has been asked twenty-million times, but... is there any easy way to edit the battle sprites (Pokémon, trainers, back-sprites) in Pokémon Generation I games?  I've searched all over Google and the most I could find was a link to a game-specific, web-based graphic (de?)compressor tool that doesn't exist anymore.  I know the battle graphics are compressed in some way and I know people have been able to decompress them to make some absolutely wonderful ROM hacks, but there doesn't seem to be any really good documentations or tutorials to do so, as far as I can find... and, something I find stranger... no utilities specifically for this!

So... any help here would be greatly appreciated.  I don't expect any easy answers, but any definite answer would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Edit: The question has been answered and I am on my way to hacking this puppy.  Thanks, Chaos Rush (and Mateo, if you happen to stumble upon this thread)!
« Last Edit: January 13, 2016, 02:52:23 am by Doc Lithius »

Chaos Rush

• View Profile
Re: Editing Pokémon Gen I Battle Sprites?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2016, 10:07:53 pm »
I'm assuming your research lead you to Skeetendo, and I just checked that the Gen I graphics compressor tool has expired. I haven't hacked the Gen I games since 2012, and back then it tediously involved using the graphics compressor to convert a .png into a .bin file and manually insert it into the ROM with a hex editor, repointing and all.

But what I do know is, Gen I hacking had come a long way since then, and I mean a long way, because a split disassembly of Pokémon Red has been made and pretty much all Gen I hacks today utilize it.

I haven't played around with the disassembly though, but I'm assuming changing the sprite graphics is a lot easier now thanks to it. If you want more info, I would suggest you contact Mateo at PokéCommunity forums (idk if she's on here too), who is working on an extensive overhaul hack of Pokémon Red called Red++, I'm sure she could provide you with the proper information you need.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2016, 11:43:53 pm by Chaos Rush »
Creator of STARLIGHT LEGACY intended to be released on Steam.
Twitter: https://twitter.com/jmatz1995

Josephine Lithius

• THE WORLD IS MINE!!
    • View Profile
    • Jo Li KMC @ Tumblr
Re: Editing Pokémon Gen I Battle Sprites? **ANSWERED**
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2016, 01:13:01 am »
Mm...  I always feel kind of weird about bothering people out-of-the-blue... especially when it's basically to ask them a favor or something, but worst-case scenario, she just doesn't reply, I guess!

Thank you very much.

Edit: She was exceptionally helpful!  You were right, Chaos Rush.  Hacking Gen I games (the sprites, at least) is as easy as it can be nowadays... if you know where to look.  Mateo directed me to a GitHub repository which has that split-assembly you were talking about, making it extremely easy to do what I want to Pokémon Red/Blue Edition.  It's pretty darn awesome how easy it is now.  And to think... all I had to do was ask the right people.  Heh.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2016, 02:52:09 am by Doc Lithius »