News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Is Xenoblade for me?  (Read 1376 times)

Piotyr

• I'm useful, honest!
    • View Profile
Is Xenoblade for me?
« on: January 10, 2016, 12:23:12 pm »
Ok I loaded up Xenoblade and was immediately turned off by the mmo style combat of auto attacks and cool downs, I pretty much shut it off 5 minutes later. I read the combat has some depth later tho so here is the question. I like my rpgs to be challenging (Favorites smt nocturne) so if I don't over level will I be challenged and will there be a good amount of strategy in this game?

SC

• View Profile
Re: Is Xenoblade for me?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2016, 02:24:40 pm »
Are you talking about Xenoblade Wii/3DS or the new Xenoblade for the Wii U? But anyway, I don't think there's a difference.

As long as you don't do every secondary quest and overlevel at all, then I'd say yes, probably yes. Overleveling just a bit quickly kills any and all difficulty.
But don't expect high levels of strategy as in strategy RPGs, of course.

Piotyr

• I'm useful, honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2016, 02:35:48 pm »
I am talking the original Xenoblade and I am hoping for something that at least makes me think.

SC

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2016, 02:53:26 pm »
Okay, I see. I always was too overleveled when I played it but knowing this game I think it can be a bit challenging if you're not overleveled.
However what means "make me think" might not mean the same to everyone, so I don't know. Of course I never had to think much at all being so overleveled.
Most thinking in this game goes into the setup phase before battles, such as what kind of battle skills and special supportive abilities each character has.

You just can't expect awesome levels of clever strategy in a more action oriented RPG, anyway.
I think Xenoblade Chronicles X (Wii U) is better regarding difficulty or strategy level.

magictrufflez

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2016, 09:29:55 pm »
Full Disclosure:  I f---ing love Xenoblade (although I haven't played X yet), and I'm a much more traditional turn-based RPGer primarily.

Xenoblade can be as difficult or easy as you want it to be.  There's a metric ton of room for playstyle differences once your roster starts to expand, and if you're willing to put in the effort, you can unlock as much content as you want in one go around.  While I normally despise MMO-style gameplay myself, Xenoblade does a really good job of balancing things out, and does get significantly more complex as things go on.  If you don't adjust your strategies or overlevel, you will not survive later in the game.

That said, if you want to explore everywhere and do literally every sidequest as they become available, you will generally be overpowered and cakewalk through things.  That said, the plot is good enough that I could even recommend that path too.  And it has Dunban, which should be reason alone to get the game.

Honestly, Xenoblade was probably the last amazingly good, instant classic game I bought new, in just about every single way (I do honestly kind of hate the evasion mechanics though).  Just get ready to hear the word "Monado" a bazillion times.

fairdenizen

• America's Individuality
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2016, 11:35:39 am »
I did a playough with minimal quest and had a very tough time by about 30% and was getting stomped later on. That said, the game has a lot of options to keep you alive but I feel like even with your best DPS set up being underleveled will make sure you're dealing shit damage. Unlike with Nocturne where you can chain off of enemy weaknesses.