News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: I don´t know why Green Hill is so famous  (Read 4574 times)

Timaeus

• Noel <3
    • View Profile
I don´t know why Green Hill is so famous
« on: December 30, 2015, 02:34:10 pm »
 Most of the people loves that zone,and I have no idea why.Most first stages from other sonic games are way much better in my opinion.

For example:Green Grove and Palmtree Panic . These both stages are a lot better than Green Hill,mainly because of their music.Their musics are awesome(Palmtree Panic NORTH AMERICAN version)

I do agree that this zone is special,but for me,is not much compared to others zones like those.

Rhys

• View Profile
    • CN
Re: I don´t know why Green Hill is so famous
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2015, 03:13:12 am »
For me it's the nostalgia I think. The combination of the look of the stage and the awesome music are always a winner.

TheUnderfaker

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2015, 04:15:10 pm »
It was the first and it was colorful and with great music.

Guess you had to be there.

Gideon Zhi

• IRC Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2016, 12:09:21 pm »
Same reasons this is so famous.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2016, 12:49:46 pm »
Because it was first, it was people remembered the most (and probably a number of people that didn't have a Genesis back in the day might've only played it in demo consoles in stores, and would've probably only played Green Hill Zone making that their impression of Sonic).
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Lilinda

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2016, 05:12:50 pm »
Emerald Hill Zone is better anyway. :P

Though objectively speaking, Angel Island Zone or whatever the hell the Sonic 3 first starting stage is the best of the three. I always found it a bit too big and... fire-ey(Not to be confused with firey) but that's nostalgia from Sonic 2 talking.
Retired moderator/staff member as of July 14th 2016

NERV Agent

• Restricted Access
  • Eva Unit 01
    • View Profile
    • Watch my anime shitposts on YouTube! Smell them, too!
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2016, 10:05:46 pm »
I'm gonna agree with Angel Island Zone being the best of the three. Searching for the giant rings for the Special Stages added an exploration aspect to it, rather than "just press right to win the game!"

Zynk

• WIP Roll-chan: The Wily Wars
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2016, 01:34:35 am »
Same reasons this is so famous.
Why does that video have artifacts and no title logo?

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2016, 01:40:44 am »
Why does that video have artifacts....?

Have you never seen a youtube video before? :P
War is Peace. Freedom is Slavery. Ignorance is Strength.

Lilinda

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2016, 01:43:08 am »

Look at the upload date. Videos from that time usually look like shit.

Zynk

• WIP Roll-chan: The Wily Wars
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2016, 01:47:18 am »
It looked like the cart was not inserted correctly. I once played SMB on a 10-in-1 games that removed the title logo or replaced it with simple 8x8 texts.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2016, 10:46:13 am »
In the late '90s, the most common SMB ROM circulating was a bad dump/pirate dump with no title. But by 2008... either they downloaded their ROM from some random old Geocities site, or they went to a ROM site with the whole GoodNES set and a downloaded a SMB ROM and it turned out to be that (not knowing to look for the ! tag). Good thing I've seen sites replacing GoodTools with no-intro sets that only have good dumps.

Some old ROM hacks are even based that and I recall had trouble working with newer emulators (the issue was that that particular ROM didn't set the starting world number (also suggesting it was a rip from one of those 436456456343-in-1 multicart :P ). People didn't notice because Nesticle initialized the RAM to 0 so it still worked (although with the MISSING TITLE they probably just didn't care anyways), but in FCEUX (or some variant I last tried) it didn't because of the (ever-so-slight) "random" initialization (00 00 FF FF).
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Lilinda

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2016, 12:46:17 pm »
the weird part about goodtools is the damn thing had tags to verify which dump is a good one. People just didn't fucking pay attention*.

*Yes, yes I know some good dumps were bad dumps all along, but that's happened with No-Intro and TOSEC as well.

optomon

• Rite of Spring
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2016, 03:22:49 pm »
While it's likely not the highest quality song in the sonic series, I can take a guess why it's so famous. I think it's important to note that most famous does not mean it is the best. I'm not entirely familiar with the melody, and I have a vague recollection of the actual song, but I do remember the song being very catchy and relatively high quality, and I'll attempt to infer why the song is so famous.

1) The song has an extremely distinct theme. This is a reason songs are considered popular rather than considered beautiful (entertainment vs. art). It's catchy, in the way some rhymes or popular music is catchy. The image of it is easy to remain in one's head, and can easily be associated with experiences that happened while the song was heard (nostalgia factor). But something tells me that this song had more than just catchiness, and had a bit of musical beauty to it as well, like, more than an adequate amount. My guess is many other Sonic songs were significantly more artful, but probably not quite as catchy most of the time. (I remember seeing someone play through the sonic 3Dblast game about 8 years back, the music is very high quality from what I remember of it, somewhat jazzy?).
2) The original Sonic the Hedgehog had an enormous audience in the 1990s, and the title screen theme and the theme for the opening stage are what people heard most. So it got viral exposure.
3) It was first like someone said, and set a precedent for the series that has been around for 25 years. It has been relegated to an iconic status. The first couple measures following the song's intro could easily be associated with the series as a whole, much like the opening motif the Super Mario Bros overworld song represents the Mario series. (Not sure how true this actually is, I'm not a sonic nut, it's likely not nearly at that level of association).

I know there's more to it, but I don't feel like typing something in the realm of TL;DR

Bahamut ZERO

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2016, 04:05:01 pm »
Because it's catchy as hell, sounds good, and compliments the setting of dancing flowers and missile launching crabs well. For an early Genesis game (I think it was an early one, anyway) it was pretty mindblowing to hear, along with most of the other songs in the game. Though for the record, World 2's theme in Sonic 1 was better imo.

Plus it has the added bonus of not being a lame wannabe rock song with what sounds like a castrated man trying to sound hardcore like almost every modern day Sonic game.  :thumbsup:
Like Super Mario Land? Then you'll love my first completed Rom Hack: Maniac on the Run!

Lilinda

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2016, 04:21:37 pm »
Hill Top Zone theme best theme.

megavolt

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2016, 01:37:32 am »
It's not nostalgia.  It's because Green Hill and its music are iconic.  Everything is subject to nostalgia after the fact and nostalgia is a separate determination from how good something actually is.  I still feel nostalgia towards some mediocre games from my youth but it doesn't mean I think they're good.

Also, it's not a case of blinding nostalgia to prefer Sonic 2 to Sonic 3 in any respect.  There were tradeoffs for the improvements made in Sonic 3.  Sonic 2 was basically the perfect sequel in that it took what the first game did and refined it.  The first game had too many slow platforming bits and the second game had a better balance while also adding the spindash and a more unique bonus area.  Sonic 3 tried something different with its more labyrinthine level design, and in doing so, some will like it more and others will like it less.   I'm in the camp of those who like it less.  Especially the music, which doesn't touch the music from Sonic 2.

optomon

• Rite of Spring
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2016, 05:55:03 pm »
Pretty spot on, though I felt the question proposed was why the song was famous in spite of not being the highest quality song, and not so much how objectively good the song is.

dACE

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2016, 10:53:51 am »
Fun Fact:

A Swedish artist had a great hit in 2000 with a song called "Känn ingen sorg för mig Göteborg"
- which should translate into something like: "Do not grieve me Gothenburg".

In that song - the chorus is suspiciously similar to that of the Bridge Zone theme from Sonic.

Judge for yourself.

Here is the original Bridge Zone music:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYJkol00JCE

Here is the same part in the Swedish hit "Do not grieve me Gothenburg":
https://youtu.be/izkyefUdVKA?t=3m

/dACE

megavolt

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2016, 06:11:27 pm »
Pretty spot on, though I felt the question proposed was why the song was famous in spite of not being the highest quality song, and not so much how objectively good the song is.
I looked again at the opening post and it seems almost like he's wondering as much about the design of the stage as he is its music.  It's just that he ends on the music as one of the biggest reasons he prefers other stages.

Personally I'm more of a Sonic 2 fan when it comes to all things Sonic, but talking about the point you raised, I think the OP might understand better now the why of Green Hill's fame even if it's not his favorite.  Maybe he got the impression that the appreciation and respect everyone shows for it is because it's their favorite but I think we've demonstrated to him that that's not necessarily the reason.  It's definitely a quality theme either way, of course (and I suppose the stage itself is solid enough, though probably not as good as the music [but then that is a testament to the power of music]).  Sort of like the main Mario or Zelda themes.  Definitely good, and boosted by how iconic they are, but it doesn't mean one can't prefer other tunes or feel that other tunes are objectively "better".