News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: How can I play this?  (Read 2605 times)

Pokémon

• View Profile
How can I play this?
« on: January 09, 2016, 10:32:52 pm »
I downloaded "Pokémon Blue Kaizo" and now I've got a file with the name "Pokemon - Blue Kaizo Version (UE) [!].rar", but I don't know what to do with that now. I thought I could play that with my Visual Boy Advance, but obviously that's not the case, it's just stating: "unsupported file type". What am I supposed to do now?

This shouldn't be crossed out, there is a (S) with square brackets in front of the "[!]".

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
Re: How can I play this?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2016, 10:48:44 pm »
What is in the RAR? (did you open it with a program like 7zip or WinRAR?)
Is it a patch (an IPS file)? Or did you find a prepatched ROM somewhere (a .gb file. If it is, DON'T say where it's from). Your filename suggests it is a prepatched ROM.
If it's a patch, you need an original Pokemon Blue ROM, and a patching program like LunarIPS.
If it's a ROM, you just use the program (7zip/WinRAR) to uncompress the file, and then run the uncompressed file with VBA.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Pokémon

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2016, 11:06:50 pm »
What is in the RAR? (did you open it with a program like 7zip or WinRAR?)
Is it a patch (an IPS file)? Or did you find a prepatched ROM somewhere (a .gb file. If it is, DON'T say where it's from). Your filename suggests it is a prepatched ROM.
If it's a patch, you need an original Pokemon Blue ROM, and a patching program like LunarIPS.
If it's a ROM, you just use the program (7zip/WinRAR) to uncompress the file, and then run the uncompressed file with VBA.

I don't know what an RAR is. I can't open this file. I thought when you download something on this page you can play it, but now I've got a file type I've never heard before and I don't know what to do with it.

It is a RAR file, so it isn't an IPS file. I don't know if it's a patch or a ROM, I've never had such a file type when I downloaded the usual Pokémon games.

I downloaded it here: http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2277/, down below in that article, "Links", "Download". Now I got this file and I don't know what to do with it.

Disch

• NES Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2016, 11:08:57 pm »
rars are like zips:  they're archives.

You need a program that can open rar archives.

7-zip is a popular and easy to use free program.
WinRAR is another one, but I think it has a startup banner which asks you to register it each time.

Pokémon

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2016, 11:12:32 pm »
Well, I downloaded this game somewhere else now. That was the correct file type so I did not need to try and understand thos technical stuff.  :o But still, thank you all for your help! :)

MasterMC08

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2016, 05:35:32 pm »
rars are like zips:  they're archives.

You need a program that can open rar archives.

7-zip is a popular and easy to use free program.
WinRAR is another one, but I think it has a startup banner which asks you to register it each time.
7-Zip?
Yeah, I highly recommend that. It's not as annoying and it's not detected as a virus by shitty AV programs such as Norton, I use Norton, but, it doesn't seem to be a big baby about WinRAR, but 7-Zip is also really good at opening files of a .iso file and other compressed files that you can't open normally or with WinRAR.