News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Best Guides/Walkthroughs [Recommendations]  (Read 2361 times)

kuroro_san

• View Profile
Best Guides/Walkthroughs [Recommendations]
« on: December 25, 2015, 10:41:30 pm »
Hi guys. New to the forum here. I'm trying to compile a list of high quality tutorials/guides/walkthroughs that's specific to reverse engineering/modding/hacking games,ROMs, and consoles. I know there's the "Documents" section in this site, but I don't really know which ones are good. Also, I think list of good external links would also be useful for other people.

So go ahead and share your favorite tutorials, books, links, pdfs, videos that you came across that might be useful for others who want to improve their game modding/reverse engineering/engineering/tinkering skills. Personally, I'm more personally interested in detailed walk-through/guides of specific games, but feel free to include anything you find worthy of mentioning.

Here are some links that I've found to be pretty good:

Game Specific
Cavestory ASM hacking guide w/ Ollydbg
Using FCEUX to Hack Legend of Zelda

Youtube Channels
Guided Hacking Youtube Channel - Cheat Engine Tutorials, "How to write an Aimbot", "Function Hooking/ Code Caving", Finding "XYZ coordinates" on memory, "Finding Data Structures"
Stephen Chapman's Youtube Channel - Another Cheat Engine Tutorial

[removed current gen stuff]
« Last Edit: December 25, 2015, 11:33:00 pm by kuroro_san »

Bonesy

• Dog is God, God is Dog
    • View Profile
Re: Best Guides/Walkthroughs [Recommendations]
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2015, 10:47:05 pm »
current gen stuff is a no-no jsyk

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2015, 05:13:47 am »
No current gen stuff? I was under the impression that info was fine, the hacks and translations, at least as far as nice and easy to apply patches, that might result though would not be mirrored here.

Anyway I specifically try to move away from specific games so as to become a generalist, if such a term exists in these circles.
To that end you are far more likely to find me reading http://problemkaputt.de/gbatek.htm than http://www.feshrine.net/hacking/doc.php

I shall have to have a look at those youtube channels though. There are any number of hacking videos ( https://www.youtube.com/user/ChRiStIaAn008/videos ) but those dealing with teaching ROM hacking seemed few and far between and I am never sure how to set about making one that works as well as more static formats.

kuroro_san

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2015, 06:08:57 pm »
Wow, that gbatek link looks awesome. Out of curiosity, what are you using that reference for? I imagine that those technical specs are more useful for someone looking into doing some homebrew/code exec stuff as opposed to hacking the game itself?

Kafke

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2015, 06:22:32 pm »
current gen stuff is a no-no jsyk

Why might that be? I realize the XBONE and PS4 aren't particularly RE'd/hacked yet, but the Wii U certainly is there, and the 3DS already has quite a large modding/fan translation scene. Is it just a rule on this forum, or is it just a 'no-no' because they're much more difficult than older consoles?

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2015, 06:43:00 pm »
Wow, that gbatek link looks awesome. Out of curiosity, what are you using that reference for? I imagine that those technical specs are more useful for someone looking into doing some homebrew/code exec stuff as opposed to hacking the game itself?
It details the graphics hardware and makeup of the bits in the registers governing the sprites. Quite useful for graphics. Similar story for aspects of 3d.
It details the memory layout, saves spending ages looking for the game binary in VRAM. Oh and it has a full breakdown of the instructions after I have found the binary in memory and all the various types of branching available to me.
It details the way the controls are handled, quite useful if I am remapping controls or figuring out how a
The GBA and DS have compression built right into the BIOS, it covers those.
It details the DS ROM structure, it details the ways saves work.

Yeah compared to http://hitmen.c02.at/files/yagcd/yagcd/chap14.html#sec14 and http://hitmen.c02.at/files/yagcd/yagcd/chap15.html#sec15 (parts of http://hitmen.c02.at/files/yagcd/yagcd/frames.html ) it lacks a bit on the game format front, and it will never tell me anything about table files, relative search or text markup methods and why I would want to know any of those and it even lacks debugging discussion beyond how to use the emulator it comes with (nothing like http://www.romhacking.net/documents/361/ for instance). However relative search will fail (even simple Japanese text will probably not work easily), table files are useless when the text is graphics (like a lot of puzzle games) and when the text engine is almost a programming language unto itself (happens often enough on the DS) then knowing the hardware just means you have something to work through and you can predict what might be going on more easily rather than coming completely unstuck.

Why might that be? I realize the XBONE and PS4 aren't particularly RE'd/hacked yet, but the Wii U certainly is there, and the 3DS already has quite a large modding/fan translation scene. Is it just a rule on this forum, or is it just a 'no-no' because they're much more difficult than older consoles?

Patches are not hosted for them as part of site policy but hacking, assuming you are not just dodging anti piracy checks on the latest prerelease game, discussion and help seems to be fine. Or at least I was never asked to stop helping people hacking DS games during its life and plenty of site staff and people that would probably know better if it was against the rules also did stuff there.

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2015, 07:24:03 pm »

I'm guessing that hacking stuff that's still on the market is more likely to draw attention (and legal action) from the companies producing them. For example: working on a translation of a game that still had a chance of being localized due to it's format/console still being produced and sold. The company who made it wouldn't want a free product competeing with theirs, which is not free. And a company wouldn't want someone hacking a sequel to their game if they are currently making one.
Cigarettes, ice-cream, figurines of the Virgin Mary...