News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Startropics Japanese Translation  (Read 6990 times)

Sky_Yoshi

• I hate programmings!
    • View Profile
    • My links
Startropics Japanese Translation
« on: December 21, 2015, 04:08:22 am »
I am going to translate Startropics to Japanese because.. I'm Japanese.
Can somebody have an information to change the text in StarTropiocs?
Hi! I'm Sky Yoshi, a Japanese RomHacker.
I am an beginner of a RomHacker and I'm here because I am interested.
I am trying to hack the stages of SMB1

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
Re: Startropics Japanese Translation
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2015, 08:58:37 am »
I don't know how much he's done but Tomato had looked a little bit into hacking the game.
Next to the Mother series and Final Fantasy IV, StarTropics is his next favorite game and he also would like to see a Japanese translation of it.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

abw

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2015, 09:50:52 pm »
I haven't played around with this game much, but I've added the beginnings of a table file on the wiki. It's missing some of the control codes, but it should still be enough to get you started.

Sky_Yoshi

• I hate programmings!
    • View Profile
    • My links
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2015, 01:23:03 am »
Thank you for the information.
Also, I altered the CHR bank to add the japanese.
URL:http://www.fastpic.jp/viewer.php?file=9114289906.png

VicVergil

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2015, 11:03:35 am »
That's one project I really wondered why it didn't happen before :P

Since you want this game translated, I assume you're already familiar with stuff like relative search (make table) and hex editors (load rom + table) and tile editors (edit graphics and character font)?

I'd like to know why did you go with the katakana instead of hiragana.
There's a bunch of Japanese NES fantranslations here that went with this choice.

Also, when using the FCEUX emulator and opening the PPU Viewer window (if it's all black, you can right-click to change the palette), you can actually see which letters the game loads in the VRAM memory when running. Those letters, and only those, are allowed to be used (and maybe some can't even be used, so you'd better make a test rom for destructive tests where you take one piece of dialog and you alter it and test different values.

From what I see in the table file shared by abw (which he got by experimenting like I said above), only characters from 00 to 5F actually appear. From 60 onwards, the values no longer display characters (meaning everything from さ onwards in your picture won't work) but rather are used for DTE: something used a lot in localizations of JP NES/SNES games (but rarely in the JP versions themselves, though I suspect Tenchi Suzou JP did) to use one single byte to call a whole word or even sentence.

You have two choices - either you modify the programming for DTE to make the values from 60 to 7F load the character tiles and not DTE words. I see you stored small tsu/y-series beyond that point, those won't even be loaded in the VRAM even if you did move the DTE values lower.

Or, if you can't do that, replace the latin characters (and if you figure out how the borders are called/displayed, the tiles for one from the two border sets, and then you only use the other one) except for A/B (buttons) with Japanese kana. That could make the naming screen uglier (only room for 44 characters out of 50 kana) but there's no way around that.

Tomato

• View Profile
    • Legends of Localization
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2015, 09:36:37 pm »
Gideon Zhi did some quick research on the font + DTE a few weeks ago on Twitter: https://twitter.com/ClydeMandelin/status/651952187338190848 He might be able to provide some insight as well.

Sky_Yoshi

• I hate programmings!
    • View Profile
    • My links
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2015, 10:30:47 pm »
Thank you for many replies!
GHANMI>I'd like to know why did you go with the katakana instead of hiragana.
Because Zelda is Katakana, Metal gear is Katakana, Megaman 2 too. so that's why.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2015, 10:53:16 pm »
That link does bring up a point: how would you translate one of the game's most infamous puzzles?
Spoiler:
The answer was only printed on a seemingly-unimportant letter in the game box. While it sounds like it's very common for Japanese to keep their games with all the contents, Nintendo may have underestimated how many Americans who buy the game just take the game out of the box and throw away everything else. A smaller amount may keep the manual and any other "important" paper.
The Virtual Console release replaced it with a transcript of the letter (I think) and a "click to reveal" button.

Midna

• Resident Panel de Pon Nut
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2015, 05:44:47 am »
Easy: Include a translated copy of the letter as a .txt file in the download.

Sky_Yoshi

• I hate programmings!
    • View Profile
    • My links
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2015, 07:52:26 am »
Idiotic Question.
I did an translate some words but, I didn7t complete the full game because I don't have that time.
So, Is there a website that contains all the text from that game?

VicVergil

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2015, 11:19:10 am »
Idiotic Question.

I don't know if that's because of your lack of fluency in English, but that came off incredibly rude and offensive.
I'll assume it's in good faith and you didn't mean to insult anyone.
(I hope...)

And about the code included in the letter bundled with the game, you could include it in the game's dialogue for some NPC, or you could just include a readme with the translated letter.

Gideon Zhi did some quick research on the font + DTE a few weeks ago on Twitter: https://twitter.com/ClydeMandelin/status/651952187338190848 He might be able to provide some insight as well.

It's nice you too are interested :D
Startropics 2 has even less space though for the font, if you're interested in that :3
Why is keeping the English font that much of a priority?
It could be just overwritten.

Since the whole font is loaded for the naming screen, and it has room for only 44 characters,
and we have 46 kana and 2 dakuten symbols.
And the character arrangement is easily modifiable with a hex editor (I tried)

- spaces and numbers are not important
- wa and wo and n wouldn't be used in the naming screen since the sounds can be replicated by "u+a" "u+o" and "nu",
and we put the " dakuten in the last extra space.
- p-series sounds like b-series anyways so the ° dakuten isn't much of a loss, and Dragon Quest players already avoided dakuten altogether since they take extra space.

That, or one could go through the hassle of a naming screen hack.
But having both the complete latin and kana sets is a luxury not many games afford.

Also, I'd be really interested in learning how to move a DTE up and down :)

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2015, 04:40:54 pm »
- spaces and numbers are not important
- wa and wo and n wouldn't be used in the naming screen since the sounds can be replicated by "u+a" "u+o" and "nu",
and we put the " dakuten in the last extra space.
- p-series sounds like b-series anyways so the ° dakuten isn't much of a loss, and Dragon Quest players already avoided dakuten altogether since they take extra space.
1. I don't know about StarTropics 2 hacking specificly, but often space tile is also used as the background and numbers are probably important the HUD. I just checked and the numbers are indeed used for chapter numbers (if you press Select to pause it shows you the chapter number)
2. I don't mean it to be a rude but did you study much Japanese? I admit my Japanese skill is shamefully poor, I don't know enough to comment on substituting わ as "うあ", but を is NOT the same as "uo", as I've heard it is used as a subject market in sentences exclusively (and pronounced "o"), and ん is most definitely a different sound than ぬ.
Maybe you could get away with removing the window border tiles.

"Idiotic question" does not seem to be used in a rude context here, it could be used if he is apologizing if his question sounds bad, which sounds like the meaning here.

VicVergil

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2015, 08:03:01 pm »
Ah, I didn't mean to remove those kana entirely from the game's font. There's room in the font for all of them, even without modifying any DTE all the tiles from 00 to 5F are available (enough for kana+numbers+spaces+borders, but if we add English letters it's another story...).

I'm talking about the naming screen, somewhere in the rom there's text like this "A.B.C.D.E.F (etc)" that's the arrangement of letters on that screen, specifically the section where you pick letters to choose as the save slot's player name, and it only has 44 selectable characters.

The "wo" kana is almost never used other than as a grammatical particle marking the object of the verb's action. Since we are talking about a name (or its phonetic rendition) it has phonetic equivalents, alongside "wa" and "n".
Naming screen also has tiles for space and numbers in the English version, but they're not really needed for names.

Well, altering the naming screen this way would eliminate the need for having English letters on the naming screen, and hence the need to have both Japanese and English in the font, and the need to alter the DTE routine to make room for both.

It would mean though the naming screen would be lacking three characters (that can still be replicated phonetically: the pronunciation is nearly the same after all) but it's one kind of sacrifice not unheard of in early arcade games.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2015, 08:08:48 pm by GHANMI »

Midna

• Resident Panel de Pon Nut
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2015, 09:42:23 pm »
I don't know if that's because of your lack of fluency in English, but that came off incredibly rude and offensive.
I'll assume it's in good faith and you didn't mean to insult anyone.
(I hope...)

It's his question that he's saying is idiotic, not anyone else's.

Sky_Yoshi

• I hate programmings!
    • View Profile
    • My links
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2015, 06:49:56 am »
Also, is there an StarTropics text changing tool or something?
THat's the easyer way to finish this project.

December 29, 2015, 03:30:46 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Also, I can't understand what the HEX editor says...
« Last Edit: December 29, 2015, 03:30:46 am by Sky_Yoshi »

Sky_Yoshi

• I hate programmings!
    • View Profile
    • My links
Wanted : StarTropics text editing
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2016, 08:04:00 pm »
As I mensioned earlier on new-comer's board, I'm working on a StarTropics Japanese translation.
And I can't change my text and I gived up.
I will only Translate and Change Graphics so, I can't do the text hacking.
so, if somebody know how and somebody to help me, please help me!
It's OK with just an advice or hint and some softwares and otherthings.

DackR

• Mo~
    • View Profile
    • Hackaday.io Page
Re: Wanted : StarTropics text editing
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2016, 09:02:09 pm »
Here is something that may help:
http://www.romhacking.net/utilities/998/
A tool called "rsearch" it is for relative searching in binary files. I searched for "PRELUDE" and it pointed me to 0x1A28.

I even whipped up a quick table file (missing control codes, but a good start): https://googledrive.com/host/0B7Lih2HxwoqqLS1nWmZXenFRbmkzcUtYcVpWMEN4dw/startropics.tbl

You'll want to locate the text pointers (usually somewhere before the script in the ROM). And then use a tool like "cartographer" to dump the script.

Sky_Yoshi

• I hate programmings!
    • View Profile
    • My links
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2016, 06:07:32 am »
Thank you!
But the tool never boot up...

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2016, 10:49:53 am »
Are you familiar with how to use DOS/Command Line programs?

Gideon Zhi

• Discord Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2016, 11:05:03 am »
I looked at this a little while back. Startropics uses an aggressive dictionary triggered on (iirc) bytes >= 0x40. You'll need to remove some of those dictionary entries if you want to be able to use a full Japanese character set.