I would like to emphasise that I'm not going to retranslate the whole game. That's not my goal, I just want to edit the item names so the bug pictured in my firts post is not happening.
Unfortunately I have problems implementing DTE in the item names as the information in the battle screen gets displaced when using it. See the picture below.
It is entirely possible that the specific routine handeling the names would have to be rewritten but that's not something I can do. Maybe somebody can help? Something in similar fashion as Lenophis' Battle DTE fixer upper
For example when you use a single hex value that stands for two letter, an additional space is being rendered. And that single space will corrupt the text.
December 21, 2015, 04:55:00 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Ok, I've made some progress. I rewrote entire section of item names in the ROM file and adjusted all of the pointers. You can see result of my work on the screenshots below.
Changed names (original/shortened):
What do you think? Some changes may be controversial but it was hard to limit some text to eight characters of pure text. Please mind that "'s", li", "ll" and "il" count as a single character (the combination of those characters occupy only a single tile).
Could someone test it? I'll do some tests myself but it would be nice to have more feedback.
EDIT: I did some testing and found some typos and bad pointers. That's fixed now.ff3e_short_item_names_1.2.ips
And patch for the original intro:ff3e_original_intro.ips
You can use both patches at the same time.
Next thing I would like to do is the ending narratory which is badly formatted in my opinion. I need some save file before final boss so I can properly test it. Do you have any that you can share?
My hacking session continues. What I've done now is that I modified ending narratory to be more readable and overall better looking. The original was just bad and rushed. I had to change the text heavily to make it fit but I think the result is good. I took an inspiration from official DS translation.
At the same time I changed casing in the intro narratory (after credits in the beginning) so it would look better too.ffe3_centered_ending1.0.ips
I've made my last hack for the game.
The creators of the original translation created new icons for the items so they could save some space. I.e. in Japanese version, rings and gauntlets had the same icon of a hand and were differentiated by their name (Diamond Ring vs. Diamond Gauntlet). There was no room for such lenghty names so icon for rings were created and the item name was changed to O Diamond, were O stands for the ring icon. That's understandable. But I don't get why they changed icons that were perfectly fine, i.e. for shields or helmets.
This patch reverts back the icons to their original state. The icons that were created additionaly by creators of the translation were kept intact (rings, staffs, robes). One exception was made to bow and arrows. Original icon was bow and arrow combined so for bow I erased the arrow. But for arrow I had to use unofficial icon introduced by the translation as the resulting icon after removal of the bow was too similar to the spear icon and would just be confusing.
So now with those patches the game is much closet to the original Japanese version than before. Enjoy if you're intered.