News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Is anyone here good with zole,zose,zote, or yy chr?  (Read 3411 times)

gamerdudesteel

• You throw dance party at me,I throw dance party @u
    • View Profile
Is anyone here good with zole,zose,zote, or yy chr?
« on: December 16, 2015, 06:44:45 pm »
Message me or leave a reply if curious.

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
Re: Is anyone here good with zole,zose,zote, or yy chr?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2015, 07:13:05 pm »
I'm pretty good with it. Why so few details? What's the top secret?
Cigarettes, ice-cream, figurines of the Virgin Mary...

tvtoon

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2015, 08:57:29 pm »
I am wondering what zole, zose and zote mean... But I am good with yy-chr, so where is your question? Is this a spam topic? :D

Kafke

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2015, 10:16:02 pm »
I am wondering what zole, zose and zote mean... But I am good with yy-chr, so where is your question? Is this a spam topic? :D

Presumably he's doing an Zelda:OoA overhaul and replacing Link with Ralph. At least, judging by his post history. Sounds like a cool project. I was actually thinking of doing something similar, but I've got enough on my plate.

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2015, 11:28:16 pm »
Presumably he's doing an Zelda:OoA overhaul and replacing Link with Ralph. At least, judging by his post history. Sounds like a cool project. I was actually thinking of doing something similar, but I've got enough on my plate.

If that's the case it would be a ton of work. I redrew the sprites for ALttP and it took FOREVER. There were SO many frames.

Anyway, I opened up the OoA ROM and I sure hope this isn't Link:

Kafke

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2015, 11:37:45 pm »
Well that's what the programs he listed are for.  There was a user here a while back that made an editor for the Oracle games titled 'ZOLE'.

Ralph himself is already in the game, so I'd imagine a simple swap between him and link, along with drawing a few new sprites probably wouldn't be hard. Technically speaking, it's all pretty easy (given the editor is already made). I mean, there's not THAT many http://www.spriters-resource.com/game_boy_gbc/thelegendofzeldaoracleofages/sheet/8928/. And Ralph already has walking/attacking sprites done.

Definitely a lot of work for the end product, but it looks completely doable.

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2015, 11:45:35 pm »
I mean, there's not THAT man

That looks like it's almost as many as ALttP. Trust me, it's a ton of work (though it might be less since the sprites are presumably half the size). I think I spent about 10 hours on a rough draft. If Ralph's head could work on Link's body, then it would be easy but they don't look that similar to me. In my case I already had a head I could use but I had to redraw the body and it took FOREVER.

VicVergil

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2015, 11:09:37 am »
If that's the case it would be a ton of work. I redrew the sprites for ALttP and it took FOREVER. There were SO many frames.

Anyway, I opened up the OoA ROM and I sure hope this isn't Link:

It is Link. But you could have done better.

(Crystaltile2, offset 70000, gb2bpp, width 8, height 16, custom palette)

yy-chr can't have tiles with height other than 8 px, but since 16 is a multiple of 8 you could just change the tile arrangement (I think there's an option to do so in yy-chr - it may be the only way as far as some NES/SNES graphics are concerned considering changing tile height corrupts the graphic)

Some sprites are perfectly symmetrical, so only one half was drawn.
It's pretty easy to modify Link's sprites in all of the GBC games (and For Whom The Frog Bell Tolls, if that's your thing)
Unlike Zelda 3 (or SoM and Terranigma, for that matter), games which draw different body parts separatedly.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 11:15:47 am by GHANMI »

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2015, 02:53:45 pm »
It is Link. But you could have done better.

haha Yeah I failed to think about the proper dimensions. I have to use crystal tile for some of the SNES fonts I've edited. I'm glad you mentioned this as it may just solve the problem I was having with another game.

gamerdudesteel

• You throw dance party at me,I throw dance party @u
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2015, 03:40:11 pm »
I am working on a project called the legend of zelda, oracle of secrets, and i have hit a few roadblocks. Sorry for the long wait.