News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: [SNES] Super Famicom Wars Translation  (Read 27776 times)

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
Re: [SNES] Super Famicom Wars Translation
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2016, 02:01:17 am »
We know Advance Wars is the official western series names (though probably because the GBA version was the first to get official localization, although on the DS, Nintendo of Japan did decide to revert the series title to Famicom Wars).
If one wanted to go super-localization, I'd say Super Nintendo Wars but there's probably better.

(though yes I'd still call it Super Famicom Wars since I've been calling it that since I heard of it in like 2000)

Being familar with the standards of the day I'd say that they would likely have chosen the least-cool sounding name possible by trying so desperately to sound cool or edgy or by making the corniest, most obvious pun imaginable.

Anyway... I can't wait to play this game in english. Had I not already seen so many others fail at it I probably would have attempted it myself. LOL
Cigarettes, ice-cream, figurines of the Virgin Mary...

ObiKKa

• Tome of retro gaming knowledge!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2016, 04:10:39 pm »
DackR, can you try to massively extrude the depth side of those title letters? Also could you try to bend some of them to appear more hidden behind some of the letters on the 2D text side just like the Japanese font? Or is this impossible to do in your free tool?

DackR

• Mo~
    • View Profile
    • Hackaday.io Page
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2016, 06:32:59 pm »
DackR, can you try to massively extrude the depth side of those title letters? Also could you try to bend some of them to appear more hidden behind some of the letters on the 2D text side just like the Japanese font? Or is this impossible to do in your free tool?
I can increase the extrusion depth, but I'm not sure what you mean by the rest of this. Perhaps you want me to increase the spacing between letters? I'm using Adobe Illustrator, so not sure what you mean there either. Can you give me an example?

ObiKKa

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2016, 04:21:50 am »
I noticed in the Japanese font that the depth of these hiragana or letters have its own perspective compared to that of the length of the text from the left to the right. Is this impossible to do in Illustrator?

Gemini

• 時を越えよう、そして彼女の元に戻ろう
    • View Profile
    • Apple of Eden
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2016, 05:02:07 am »
Extrude is actually the same depth for all characters, it's perspective and camera angle that make weird effect.
I am the lord, you all know my name, now. I got it all: cash, money, and fame.

Carnivol

• Consider it a privilege!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2016, 05:28:29 pm »
We know Advance Wars is the official western series names (though probably because the GBA version was the first to get official localization, although on the DS, Nintendo of Japan did decide to revert the series title to Famicom Wars).
If one wanted to go super-localization, I'd say Super Nintendo Wars but there's probably better.
I kinda think SNESWARS or SNES WARS might look nice as logo, if the idea is to try to keep the style of the original logo.
Or possibly "NESWARS" with a smaller SUPER above the NES bit.

DackR

• Mo~
    • View Profile
    • Hackaday.io Page
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2016, 07:12:27 am »
I noticed in the Japanese font that the depth of these hiragana or letters have its own perspective compared to that of the length of the text from the left to the right. Is this impossible to do in Illustrator?

This is possible, but I don't think it'll ever be perfectly similar. I feel like it's fairly close besides the additional rough-ups that are necessary to make it look like a stone carving.

This is VERY rough, but here is an update more as a proof of concept:

I have compression working smoothly. Optimizations to the code will have to wait until later. At least now I can get a modified font inserted so I can start translating menus. :)

Xenesis

• Syogun Changer
    • View Profile
    • Wars World News
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2016, 08:36:18 pm »
Ooh, very nice. I guess some tile positioning needs to be worked out though?

I kinda think SNESWARS or SNES WARS might look nice as logo, if the idea is to try to keep the style of the original logo.
Or possibly "NESWARS" with a smaller SUPER above the NES bit.

There's always "Super Nintendo Wars"

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2016, 08:50:35 pm »
There's always "Super Nintendo Wars"

I wonder if a localization is really necessary. Anyone who's ever been curious about this game and waiting for a trans knows it as Super Famicom Wars. If it were an official release from back in the day I could see where the suits would say "but the potential customers will say 'what's a famicom?'", but since marketing isn't an issue I personally see no need to change the title in cases like this.

EDIT: Just a random idea, but have you thought about making the logo look like a tank rolling in? :D

Xenesis

• Syogun Changer
    • View Profile
    • Wars World News
« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2016, 09:42:30 pm »
I wonder if a localization is really necessary. Anyone who's ever been curious about this game and waiting for a trans knows it as Super Famicom Wars. If it were an official release from back in the day I could see where the suits would say "but the potential customers will say 'what's a famicom?'", but since marketing isn't an issue I personally see no need to change the title in cases like this.

Necessary? Localisation is never specifically necessary. But it can make for a nice bit of professionalism in the project. The series itself is also colloquially known as "Nintendo Wars" as well as "Advance Wars".

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2016, 09:57:14 pm »
Necessary? Localisation is never specifically necessary. But it can make for a nice bit of professionalism in the project.

It has nothing to do with professionalism.

The series itself is also colloquially known as "Nintendo Wars" as well as "Advance Wars".

Neither one is the official name of the series though (the "Wars" series). If we argue enough maybe he will call it "Super Difference of Opinion Wars". :P

Bonesy

• Dog is God, God is Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2016, 10:07:20 pm »
still waiting for IS to ruin the series with crappy mechanics brought in from FE Fates and Awakening so badly the series gets called advance whores

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2016, 10:11:04 pm »
still waiting for IS to ruin the series with crappy mechanics brought in from FE Fates and Awakening so badly the series gets called advance whores

For some reason I'm reminded of how Konami ruined the Castlevania series by turning it into imitations of other games.

Blow-nami...

Xenesis

• Syogun Changer
    • View Profile
    • Wars World News
« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2016, 10:16:11 pm »
It has nothing to do with professionalism.

Neither one is the official name of the series though (the "Wars" series). If we argue enough maybe he will call it "Super Difference of Opinion Wars". :P

Well of course. You seem to have a pathological hatred of localisation and I'm about as far from a purist as you can get.

But don't you want to pat Mr Yamamoto's glorious beard?

Bonesy

• Dog is God, God is Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2016, 10:18:27 pm »
they make goth lolis in bearded flavor now, xen?

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2016, 10:26:30 pm »
Well of course. You seem to have a pathological hatred of localisation and I'm about as far from a purist as you can get.

I wouldn't go that far, but I wouldn't say that you are totally unjustified in saying that. I don't really care for localization unless it's to replace something that is an extrememly obscure cultural reference that no one outside the country of origin would ever pick up on. In some cases I wouldn't even approve of that. I'll probably just stir the flames by saying this, but when I want to enjoy something that happens to be of foreign origin I don't want it to pretend to be American.

ObiKKa

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2016, 11:24:25 pm »
That's a nice looking screen for a draft title screen. I'm glad that someone is dedicating to working on the untranslated strategy SNES games whereas many translation groups tend not to like playing the strategy games at all!

Gideon Zhi

• Discord Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #37 on: January 21, 2016, 12:38:57 pm »
I'll probably just stir the flames by saying this, but when I want to enjoy something that happens to be of foreign origin I don't want it to pretend to be American.

Localization isn't about something pretending to be American, it's about the experience. In the case of a J->E localization, it's about giving an English-speaking audience playing it in English the same experience playing a game that the Japanese audience would have had playing it in Japanese. Take the taiyaki vendor in Live-a-Live as an example. I left it as taiyaki because it would have involved changing a *lot* of compressed assets to do otherwise, but if a Japanese person was walking around a park and saw a taiyaki vendor, they'd know *exactly* what it was. An American guy? Not so much. If I'd really wanted to go all out I'd probably have changed Matsu into a hotdog guy instead, and this would have been a perfectly acceptable localization choice because the English experience to English speakers would have been would have been the same as the Japanese experience to Japanese speakers.

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 21, 2016, 05:56:25 pm »
Localization isn't about something pretending to be American, it's about the experience. In the case of a J->E localization, it's about giving an English-speaking audience playing it in English the same experience playing a game that the Japanese audience would have had playing it in Japanese. Take the taiyaki vendor in Live-a-Live as an example. I left it as taiyaki because it would have involved changing a *lot* of compressed assets to do otherwise, but if a Japanese person was walking around a park and saw a taiyaki vendor, they'd know *exactly* what it was. An American guy? Not so much. If I'd really wanted to go all out I'd probably have changed Matsu into a hotdog guy instead, and this would have been a perfectly acceptable localization choice because the English experience to English speakers would have been would have been the same as the Japanese experience to Japanese speakers.

This is just my opinion, but it seems unnecessary. When I watch a movie with subtitles I don't want references to American Gladiators and other things that weren't there before. I guess I just prefer accuracy and international flavors left in-tact.

Seihen

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 21, 2016, 06:35:24 pm »
This is just my opinion, but it seems unnecessary. When I watch a movie with subtitles I don't want references to American Gladiators and other things that weren't there before. I guess I just prefer accuracy and international flavors left in-tact.

There's really no right answer to this since it's all a matter of preference, but I've worked on both sides of translation -- both technical (where insane accuracy is required and you translate every. single. nuanced. word) and entertainment (where you will localize words and phrases to the audience). For anyone interested in the art of translation, this article by Janet Hsu (localizer of the Phoenix Wright games) is a great read:
http://www.capcom-unity.com/zeroobjections/blog/2014/11/21/localization-and-ace-attorney

While in my younger days watching anime (and before I spoke Japanese), I was an avid supporter of exact translations and wrote long, angry forum posts about how stupid the translation was for not being totally accurate. Now that I've grown up a little more and have some perspective on the other side of translating, I have to say that my opinion has changed. I've lost where I've found the quote over the years, but I remember reading an interview with a Japanese developer on how he felt about some of the localization changes made to his games. He said that "If I told a joke in my game, it's because I wanted the audience to laugh. If you need to tell a different joke to make them laugh, then that's the best choice."

Stories are about invoking feelings, not about the words they were written with.

If your preference is pure accuracy, then that's definitely understandable! I felt that way for years, but I guess my feelings have changed. That doesn't make me -- or anyone else -- any more right, but there's definitely a "know your audience" factor that should be considered when translating.