News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Sega Master System Hacking  (Read 2759 times)

Me_Dave

• Romhacking Psychoanalyst
    • View Profile
    • Kid Klown's KrazyNES
Sega Master System Hacking
« on: December 13, 2015, 10:45:10 am »
I was wondering are there any hacking related documents on hacking for the Sega Master System in general like for Hacking Text and etc, all I can find is either game specific or details of the system's spec's. 

Like I just submitted or well resubmitted after having made a mistake, a Hack of a Master System Game I was only able to hack the spirit graphics as I couldn't find any info for hacking text  or anything else, and it isn't really a complete hack but it is in it's completed form.

The Hack
Kid Klown's KrazyNES
They saw what the 600 Member's can do, lets show them what the 54,000 can do.

tvtoon

• View Profile
Re: Sega Master System Hacking
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2015, 11:35:41 am »
At SMS Power, there is everything that you want to know about Master System and Game Gear, including code examples and hacks.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2015, 01:42:50 pm »
I was wondering are there any hacking related documents on hacking for the Sega Master System in general like for Hacking Text and etc, all I can find is either game specific or details of the system's spec's. 
Text hacking is basically the same thing as other systems. Use relative search to find text (or MEKA's tile viewer to see the font). The mapper used in most games can swap banks in $4000-7FFF and $8000-BFFF (some games use a variant that allows $400-3FFF to be swapped, leaving the first $400 bytes in the swapped bank unused). So that would mean typically pointers would be within that range.
I think tile editors usually support that graphics mode.
If you can't find the graphics then it's probably a compressed and you have a game-specific issue (although I think someone on SMS Power made a program to detect common compression formats).
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Me_Dave

• Romhacking Psychoanalyst
    • View Profile
    • Kid Klown's KrazyNES
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2015, 02:21:13 pm »
Text hacking is basically the same thing as other systems. Use relative search to find text (or MEKA's tile viewer to see the font). The mapper used in most games can swap banks in $4000-7FFF and $8000-BFFF (some games use a variant that allows $400-3FFF to be swapped, leaving the first $400 bytes in the swapped bank unused). So that would mean typically pointers would be within that range.
I think tile editors usually support that graphics mode.
If you can't find the graphics then it's probably a compressed and you have a game-specific issue (although I think someone on SMS Power made a program to detect common compression formats).

Okay, I'll give all that a try I didn't know about SMS power though I saw mention of Meka Being used in other hacks.  Thank you for explaining all that and for the advice.  All The best. 

You guy's are the greatest, :woot!: :thumbsup: :beer:

"If I would remembered the exact rules I wouldn't had submitted my Hack in the first place."  :banghead:
Kid Klown's KrazyNES
They saw what the 600 Member's can do, lets show them what the 54,000 can do.