News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Why does Super Metroid have so many unused text graphics?  (Read 904 times)

Mooch

• View Profile
Why does Super Metroid have so many unused text graphics?
« on: December 09, 2015, 06:51:12 pm »
I'm designing an original game in Sphere (it's like an open-source Game Maker geared towards RPGs) but I'm no graphic designer, so I'm using existing sprites just 'til I have a demo up, then hopefully I can get someone interested in joining me and making original graphics.

It's a 16-bit-looking scifi RPG and so I'm ripping some temporary graphics from the likes of Shin Megami Tensei for SNES and also some menu graphics from Super Metroid.

I downloaded the SNES Sprite Editor (http://www.romhacking.net/utilities/105/) and when I was looking through the graphics, I noticed that Super Metroid has like, eight or nine different fonts, the majority of which are never actually used in-game.

With space so limited, why are there all these unused graphics? Were they planning to use them, but then didn't? Or maybe were they boilerplate graphics that Nintendo copy-pasted between carts? Because one of the font sets is the sort of fat, blocky graphics used in Super Mario All-Stars for the HUD ("TIME" "SCORE" etc.).

Also, are most SNES games like this?

Just curious. I was surprised to see so many fonts in Super Metroid. (Now if only creating actual Windows font files wasn't a nightmare...)