News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: New to the forum, Need some guidance  (Read 1879 times)

TheHillbillyGamer

• View Profile
New to the forum, Need some guidance
« on: December 09, 2015, 01:50:38 pm »
Hello
To start with, if all this is in the wrong place pleas move the thread or just tell me and il post it at the right place.

I have loads of question but il try and not go full on spanish inquesition here.
Japanese physical games not only have some extra in them but can also be esteticly more pleasing. Japanese games also have accsesories that never left the japan to. A whole lot of them are not the biggest loss to not have localy but some i really like.

And thanks to this wonderfull site i can play japanese physical games on my retron 5 with a translation patch and that makes me a happy panda.

What i do wonder about is this, i see translations for games like The Amazing Spider-Man: Lethal Foes, and i wondered. I have in my collection the famicom and super famicom interface to hook up the Barcode Battler 2, a interesting little game system based soly on scanning barcodes and the cods fighting each other. Anyway, The spider man game i mentioned has extra content on the japanese cartrage you can unlock with this barcode system.

Does the tranlation made here include that extra content?

There are cards for Link to the past, Mario World and some other games to. I kind of tok it as a given that using the cards on a japanes cartridg of Link to the past running a language patch on the retron 5 would not work as the cards do not work on american or european games and the language patches for games that has a official releases are the same as playing a original americanor european game. SO games only having fan made translations, will it work or not? hehe

I have the dragonball Z datach thing too wich is a big as card scanner in it self but have not found a translation for it pluss the cards are in japanese hehe.

Thats part one

Also il try to be short with this. Is there anyone here that know of a way to run disc based games with a language patch like the retron 5 does with cart based games? the R5 dumps the rom on to the console it self so you are really playing the rom and not the cart. Thas how language patches work on it. I have a buch of japanse ps2 and 1 games so thats why im asking.

AND is there a list of games being worked on translating so i can just check and so on?

Hope i did not kille you with my wall o text

mz

• Whore
    • View Profile
Re: New to the forum, Need some guidance
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2015, 02:29:45 pm »
Is there anyone here that know of a way to run disc based games with a language patch like the retron 5 does with cart based games?
The RetroN 5 is just a bunch of emulators, so if you want something similar for PS2 and PS1 just use another (free) emulator and run it anywhere you like. All of them run fan translated fan games just fine.

You can load the fan-translated discs on the real consoles too, if you know how (or if you already have them modded to load backups.)

AND is there a list of games being worked on translating so i can just check and so on?
Nope. This website is just a community of people working independently on their own. You can find some WIP projects on the Personal Projects sub-forum, though, but it isn't a very organized or complete list...
There has to be a better life.

goldenband

• View Profile
Re: New to the forum, Need some guidance
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2019, 08:14:23 pm »
This is a bit of a necrobump (to say the least), but TheHillbillyGamer raised an important question that deserved more attention at the time:

What i do wonder about is this, i see translations for games like The Amazing Spider-Man: Lethal Foes, and i wondered. I have in my collection the famicom and super famicom interface to hook up the Barcode Battler 2, a interesting little game system based soly on scanning barcodes and the cods fighting each other. Anyway, The spider man game i mentioned has extra content on the japanese cartrage you can unlock with this barcode system.

Does the tranlation made here include that extra content?

I've wondered about this too. I've been playing through the translated version of another game, Donald Duck no Mahō no Bōshi (Donald Duck and the Magical Hat), that has Barcode Battler support -- one of 11 games that do. A lot of sites say things like "Additional content could be unlocked by scanning barcodes", but no one ever seems to specify what that content is.

Well, thanks to some good research by celerystalker over at Digital Press, we now know more. It turns out that in the case of Donald Duck, the barcodes are basically glorified Game Genie or cheat codes. They do nothing more than let you skip ahead in the game -- quite the opposite of unlocking extra content! Lupin III is a similar case.

Unfortunately celerystalker didn't post his findings about The Amazing Spider-Man: Lethal Foes, so I don't know if that game is a different story. But based on what we're seeing with Donald Duck (and Lupin III), at least some of the claims about "additional content" seem to be urban myths. It wouldn't surprise me if ASM:LF is the same deal, where the barcodes just give you extra health, let you skip stages, or whatever.