News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Translations: Actraiser translation released by Aeon Genesis  (Read 11177 times)

RHDNBot

Translations: Actraiser translation released by Aeon Genesis
« on: October 22, 2006, 02:04:15 am »

This is an automated message generated by Romhacking.net's RHDNBot.

Update By: Gideon Zhi

Aeon Genesis has released a complete translation of the multi-genre masterpiece, Actraiser. It is hopefully without bugs, and should be enjoyed immediately by all who read this news. Have fun!

RHDN Staff - You can get it here as well.

Relevant Link: (http://agtp.romhack.net)
« Last Edit: October 22, 2006, 10:32:04 am by Nightcrawler »

Ryusui

• It's the greatest day.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
Re: Translations: Actraiser translation released by Aeon Genesis
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2006, 02:09:50 am »
*reads the article on AGTP's side*

Ian Kelley is the guy who did SMT's script, right? If so, good times for all. I should go ahead and try this sometime...
In the event of a firestorm, the salad bar will remain open.

Gideon Zhi

• IRC Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2006, 02:14:53 am »
Yeah, he did both SMT and SMT2, as well as Assault Suits Valken, Rockman & Forte, Mystick Ark, Shiren the Wanderer, and bits of Madou Monogatari. I might be forgetting some, too :p

Dragonsbrethren

• View Profile
    • Dragonsbrethren Industries
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2006, 02:47:49 am »
I was really looking forward to this one, I think I'll hook up my SNES tomorrow and devote the day to it :D

creaothceann

• SPINESHARK
    • View Profile
    • creaothceann's website
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2006, 05:41:26 am »
BBCode in the first post is broken; I think you don't need " for URLs.

Be sure to apply the patch to a clean copy of the ROM, and make sure your ROM DOES NOT HAVE A HEADER!. If you right-click the ROM and select Properties, it should read "Size: 1.00 MB (1,048,576 bytes)". SNESTool will remove all of your headers for you easily, and you can find it at http://www.romhacking.net In the Utilities section, simply search for snestool.

An easy way to tell if the game has a header or not is that if you apply the patch and the game does not boot, your game very likely does not have a header.

Small inconsistency. ;)

Tintenfisch

• Insect swarm 3, nothing but the best.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2006, 02:55:39 pm »
I havn't played much.  Fillmore is only at a population of about 250 but I am enjoying the changes.  I prefer to be called the "holy father".

The only problem I encountered was when you're talking with the people and they're thanking you the text goes a little off screen.
A traitor like you doesn't deserve a Texas double whopper, now available at burger king

Great Red Spirit

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2006, 03:21:26 pm »
Nice, Actraiser is definetly one of those games that isn't a chore to replay. I'll be giving this a spin sometime soon. The new difficulty will help too, I always thought that Actraiser was incredibly easy (except Northwall 2, for some reason I could not do that level without dying over and over again.)

Now if only my useless Saitek battery packs didn't die off, can't even recharge 'em...

Gideon Zhi

• IRC Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2006, 04:01:20 pm »
I havn't played much.  Fillmore is only at a population of about 250 but I am enjoying the changes.  I prefer to be called the "holy father".

The only problem I encountered was when you're talking with the people and they're thanking you the text goes a little off screen.

The God of Actraiser is actually gender-neutral, but I couldn't really come up with a satsifactory gender-neutral honorific for the people to address you with, other than something like, "Oh, God," which just doesn't work.

I don't know what causes the text overflow issue; it works fine for me in every emulator I've tried. It could be that you're patching a rom with a header, although I'd think that'd break a lot of stuff.

zidanax

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2006, 04:58:03 pm »
It's working fine for me on an SF7 copier.

EDIT: including the lightning bolt message.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2006, 08:03:02 pm by zidanax »

icemann

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2006, 12:08:54 pm »
Played through all of Actraiser to fully test out the patch, especially as it said that the jap version of the game was harder than the americain version. Definately a good challenge.

Only downside to the patch is that the game freezes when you beat the final boss. Besides that its perfect.

Shame Actraiser 2 was such a let down :(. Alot like Alundra 2.

zidanax

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2006, 12:25:17 pm »
Only downside to the patch is that the game freezes when you beat the final boss. Besides that its perfect.

Hmm, the game didn't freeze for me.  I was able to to beat the final boss and then watch the ending and credits.

Aeris130

• My message ->
    • View Profile
    • Cyndeline.net
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2006, 02:40:13 pm »
Since this is a re-translation, I'm curious about the reason for re-translating it in the first place. Did the original English version lack certain parts found in the original (text and/or gameplay in general), or was the translation simply so horrid that it alone justified this project?

Shadowsithe

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2006, 05:50:36 pm »
Quote from: AGTP Site
Shame on you if you've never played Actraiser before! This version, other than having an amazingly badass logo, is actually a lot harder than the US release of the game. Even in Fillmore 1, there are more brambles, more monsters, more everything. It's crazy great. Ian Kelley wanted to retranslate the game, so here it is! Far be it from me to deprive one of my star translators from an awesome request or two!

If you've never played it, now's your chance. The translation is complete and, to my knowledge, bug-free. Enjoy!

After hours of research I come to you with the answer.

Googie

• I'd like to solve the puzzle... Jiggers!
    • View Profile
    • My work in progress ROM Hacking site
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2006, 12:35:56 am »
This looks too good to pass up, I'm an Actraiser drug fiend. I know I'ma like this translation alot, awsome work regardless.  ;D

Viewer

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2006, 12:26:15 pm »
Bug report:

At the beginning of Fillmore, as the Angel explains sealing the Monster Lairs, he describes the people sealing them "for ver". I assume an "e" was left out there.

In Bloodpool, using the Skull of Destruction on a Lair other than the Red Devil's will bring up text from Aitos.

Great Red Spirit

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2006, 01:07:23 am »
Huh, don't know if this is due to the patch or not, but my MP didn't increase when I got a source of magic from Fillmore (the one in the forest specifically). Or is that just a glitch in the Japanese version of the game?

Dragonsbrethren

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2006, 01:09:57 am »
You have to go the the use an item menu and select it. Took me a while to notice that too.

Great Red Spirit

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2006, 12:58:02 pm »
Gak, I completely forgot about that. It's been too long since I've played Actraisers. Thanks :)

Dragonsbrethren

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2006, 12:59:20 pm »
You didn't have to do that in the US version, it would be added automatically.

Great Red Spirit

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2006, 10:53:35 am »
Ah, I guess my memory isn't complete garbage after all, thanks. I've been noticing a few other annoying differences between the two versions aside from the action levels as well (and magic points). Like how you don't recover SP when the hour glass restarts (which makes making changes to a city without monsters a pain), and top civilization rating houses aren't immune to earthquake anymore (Haha! Eat Earthquake Fillmore! Oh... shit...), and magic is 'Up-Attack' instead of A...
It's turning out to be a more interesting experience than I had first thought :)