News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Extracting sprites from RPG -Rurouni Kenshin- [PSX]  (Read 2486 times)

VinceD

• View Profile
Extracting sprites from RPG -Rurouni Kenshin- [PSX]
« on: November 25, 2015, 04:46:58 pm »
Hello everyone!

I've recently picked up a neat little project for myself, delving into formerly unknown territory of rom hacking!
It's a specific game, Rurouni Kenshin: Juuyuushi Inbou Hen (otherwise known as Kenshin RPG). I've checked the game's
page on the site, no info. I've searched google, little to no information.
Now I know that the compressing is different with pretty much every psone game, so I understand that there is no universal way to go about doing this. I've tried all of the tools this site and many others have to offer. The only ones that have given me any result are PSound (simply for the soundbytes) and JPSXDEC (which enabled me to access all of the files it could read: the MOVIE files. So i'm good to go with the sound and movie data.

But what I'm really after, is the graphics data.

Inside the game's .bin file I've got a bunch of other .bin files (including one which is named BTLCHAR.BIN, to which I can only assume are the character sprites for the battles) and a bunch of .GRP files (which I am unable to access).

Using .tim search tools like PSicture didn't work...

Any advice or tips on what steps I can take to increase my results?

Thank you for your time

mz

• Whore
    • View Profile
Re: Extracting sprites from RPG -Rurouni Kenshin- [PSX]
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2015, 05:15:44 pm »
You could try any of the regular tile editors on this site: Tile Molester, YY-CHR, etc. and play around with its options/formats.

Also, you should take a look at the VRAM while the game is running. There should be some emulators and/or plugins that let you do that in real time, and some others that let you take a dump of it to view it with something else.
There has to be a better life.

VinceD

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2015, 06:26:36 pm »
Thanks for the tips!

I must admit I haven't tried any of the tile editor tools as I assumed they would not work. Will give that a try next!

Having only briefly messed around with VRAM (loading save state into VRAM, not while running the game in epsxe simultaniously),
this method did not provide any decent results. Will check how to use the method for VRAM while running epsxe at the same time.

Thanks again, I'll report on any results.

November 25, 2015, 07:13:09 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
(not sure if double posting is allowed, couldn't find it in the forum rules)

Unfortunately not a single one of the tile editor tools was succesful in grabbing solid graphics data.
I think it might be an issue that the files I'm trying to access are 'locked' away inside the .bin
if indeed that is the correct place to look for them. Still don't know what the .GRP files do.

It's onto the VRAM method, but I'd really like to be able to grab all of the graphics data through
decompression instead of having to manually access all of the sprites by playing the rom in epsxe
and having VRAM running. As I'm sure many of the sprites are hidden away, and would require me to
100% complete a game that's in Japanese (and I'm unable to read proper Japanese).
« Last Edit: November 25, 2015, 07:13:09 pm by VinceD »

House

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2015, 11:07:08 am »
Hello everyone!

I've recently picked up a neat little project for myself, delving into formerly unknown territory of rom hacking!
It's a specific game, Rurouni Kenshin: Juuyuushi Inbou Hen (otherwise known as Kenshin RPG). I've checked the game's
page on the site, no info. I've searched google, little to no information.
Now I know that the compressing is different with pretty much every psone game, so I understand that there is no universal way to go about doing this. I've tried all of the tools this site and many others have to offer. The only ones that have given me any result are PSound (simply for the soundbytes) and JPSXDEC (which enabled me to access all of the files it could read: the MOVIE files. So i'm good to go with the sound and movie data.

But what I'm really after, is the graphics data.

Inside the game's .bin file I've got a bunch of other .bin files (including one which is named BTLCHAR.BIN, to which I can only assume are the character sprites for the battles) and a bunch of .GRP files (which I am unable to access).

Using .tim search tools like PSicture didn't work...

Any advice or tips on what steps I can take to increase my results?

Thank you for your time

Try this plugin http://www.emucr.com/2015/09/edgblas-software-rendering-plugin-144.html it has experimental texture dumping and replacement.